LegacyGT.com

[How-To] Clutch Damper Valve Delete

• 2 weeks later...
I finally got to spend some time in my car last night after this mod (over the weekend). This was a very nice change to the clutch response.

Current Mileage as of 19-June-15: 15012

Purchase Date: 30-June-12

Visit my profile page (visitor message section) for a brief mod. list.

Excuse my stupidity as this is the first time I have ever bled a clutch. But after the damper delete and bleed, Should the clutch feel slightly lighter and smoother than with the damper? I took it for a test drive and didn't have any problems shifting. It just felt smoother and softer.

I just want to make sure I bled it correctly. When I was bleeding it with a friend he had to pump it by hand because the clutch wouldn't come back from the floor at first. But eventually it did. So he would pump, hold it down, I would open the bleeder, close it. He would release and repeat.

Sounds about right on the bleeding, Swannee and I had to pull the pedal up as well because it did not return on its own.

It may just be the terminology you are using (smoother and softer) to describe what you are feeling, but yes, the whole clutch pedal feel should be smoother. I thought it felt just a hair stiffer myself. Keep in mind that your foot is feeling a more direct relation to the spring action of the fingers on the pressure plate, and the engagement point of the pedal should be more exact and less broad. I found the car much easier to drive and start from a standstill than before.

• 2 weeks later...
After having done this a couple of weeks, I hate that I didn't do it earlier. Getting out of first, I always felt like I had to pay close attention and would slightly burn the clutch by over revving. Figured it was still all part of my noobness to manuals. After doing this, I realized that it wasn't me. Since doing this I know exactly when the clutch engages and have my shifts down without even thinking now.

Ok i need to have a friend over for a beer.

ftfy! You don't need no stinkin' bleeder.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBwTeyZDRos]www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBwTeyZDRos[/ame]

Edited by GTEASER

• 1 month later...

Wow, I just found this thread.

I'm 47 and been driving manuals most of my life and the Legacy made me feel like a beginner clutch driver since day one.

Nice find guys, can;t wait to get this done.

Holidays are coming...do the mod when you go visit your parents for Thanksgiving and use their driveway or garage.

THIS^ i was planning on doing my shifter bushing (yes i still haven't installed it) last time i was home but ended not having a second to myself do to an ever growing list of crap i need to do for their house. hopefully that won't be the story this time as i actually will have a solid 4 days at home. now i need to save as much $$$ as i can so i can get a couple more parts bought for that install day.

• 2 months later...