LegacyGT.com

Doing an oil change - what brand of oil to use?

Any oil that meets the specs in your Owners Manual will be just fine. Changing the oil and filter regularly, per Subaru's published maintenance schedule, is far more important than what brand of oil you use. 0W-20 viscosity oil, specified for the 2.5 engine, is generally available only as a synthetic (which is good, IMO), so that decision has already been made for you.

While not strictly necessary, once you choose a brand of oil to use it's generally a good idea to stick with it ... especially when topping up. Different oil manufacturers use their own proprietary additive packages, and there may be minor incompatibilities among them.

That said, the subject has been discussed to death on this forum ... as well as on every other automotive forum in the universe. Search is your friend.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I use Mobile 1 0w-20 or 5w-20 if Walmart does not have 0w-20. They have best prices. (stay away from FRAM oil filters) I ordered box of 12 oem oil filters and have the FUMOTO oil drain valve that makes oil changes clean and plus you will never need to use tool and and crush washers.

search FUMOTO oil drain valve and get yourself one that has nipple so you can put rubber hose on it and divert oil into empty oil container without drop of oil on your hands or floor.

To be fair to Fram filters gathered such bad reputation because of loose seals. People would unscrew old filter and not notice seal stayed on and screw new filter on it. You ended up with two and you would get oil leaks or worse. Since than they changed materials so its no longer a problem. Also since filters are now on top of engine it would be fairly easy to see seal if it separated.

As to answer OP, I always get Mobil1 oil, 0W20. Subaru filters from ebay, blue ones. if you buy 6-12 its the same price as getting non Subaru ones at Walmart or other stores.

To be fair to Fram filters gathered such bad reputation because of loose seals.

It was also because of mischaracterization of the fiber-composite materials used in many Fram oil filters as ordinary "cardboard."

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Whatever you do, keep your receipts. If possible, take a photo of the oil and filter and print it.

Subaru is gonna want proof of your oil changes and intervals when your motor goes.

Subaru is not the only one who will play that game. Infiniti does too, so I am keeping all of my records.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek