LegacyGT.com

Yay or Nay on the Subaru OEM Hood protector?

ChaoticZen

Yes - grab one. It does a great job of protecting the leading edge of the hood. Clear bras are no good. They trap dirt at the edge of the film. Or, will often pull paint off if you have to have it replaced due to a rock or scratch in the film.

Looks good on the older cars (i.e. mine) IMHO, but it looks kind of awkward on the newer cars... probably because of it both being stubby and not extending the full width of the vehicle, and also because newer cars are much more streamlined and look better without it.

I don't think that's a problem; the scoop is up higher and air in that area is being compressed. Those hood protectors don't look like they're designed for direct air either, unlike "bug deflectors" which usually have a lip or are turned upwards at the back.

I'd also be concerned about it interrupting airflow into the hood scoop for GT cars.

That's my concern as well, don't want to take away the air flow to the scoop, although it doesn't seem high enough to cause concerns.

I will probably get one soon and let you guys know how it turns out

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I went w/ yay. I had a clear bra on a '04 FXT and just wasn't impressed w/ it's function or looks after 40k. I don't know how the hood protector will do for protection as the Legacy fairly new. I have my hopes.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f335/talkovich/subaru_driveway.jpg

I decided against it at the last minute as the subaru accessories site clearly stated "exclude the Legacy GT"

From an aerodynamic point of view I think it does create a "wind barrier" so less air will be flowing through the hood scoop.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Clear bras are no good. They trap dirt at the edge of the film.

Get the installer to wrap the front edge of the clear bra over and under the hood and cut there.

Or wash your car often, paying close attention to the front edge but don't put the pressure nozzle close or it'll get under the film.

• 6 months later...
I went w/ yay. I had a clear bra on a '04 FXT and just wasn't impressed w/ it's function or looks after 40k. I don't know how the hood protector will do for protection as the Legacy fairly new. I have my hopes.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f335/talkovich/subaru_driveway.jpg

Me likey your car and color choice Suby bro'/Fellow Texan, we've got its clone down here in LC, I just sent you a pm about the hood protector you've got

I got curious about your location and found a good, descriptive article about the The Texas International Pop Festival during summer of 1969 = way too cool......

Archived