LegacyGT.com

Headliner Sag

I'm curious if anyone else has had this happen. The headliner is "sagging" in the center by the back window. It's the entire headliner, not the fabric. You can push up on it and the headliner will move up and back into what I would call the correct position. It's also possible that this is how they came from the factory and you can't see it unless you are looking for it.

d189d60aa846b2b722ac376a0eb9817a.jpg

Pushed up:

7cc3a8701feff500a49df54481c98d7b.jpg

How it is sitting:

77b711ca4ce796e4894818a8a54c5709.jpg

Edited by Falcor

mine has been floppy back there for 2+ years but you can't really tell unless I have the windows down at a decent speed. mine usually seats its self relatively well like in the second picture tho. I've been trying to think of a way to fix it without making it irremovable but haven't come up with anything good yet.

Same issue. And something weird is going on with the way it's attached up there. Mine pulls down far enough that I can see the three plastic plates with the failed glue on them, and I can push the liner up far enough to meet with them, so I tried placing strips of VHB 3M tape (the same stuff that's currently holding on my spoiler, very securely I might add), and even after holding it in place (I used my head to push the middle up and each hand on the outer spots) for like two full minutes, it pulled away again 10 minutes later. I'm unsure how to fix this problem.

I just read through the threads. I should have known I wasn't the only one with this problem. It doesn't flop around like some of the comments mentioned. I only notice it when fueling up really, when I'm in just the right spot.

Same problem, 2 of my 3 plastic plates actually fell out the last time I messed with it.

I notice mine buffeting a little at high speeds with the sunroof open, but otherwise I forget about it.

Call Subaru and let them know, I was past my warranty and they honored it, only paid $100 but o got a brand new headliner installed.

That is awesome. Safelite replaced my headliner in 2015 after they got glue on it during a windshield replacement. I got quotes from two dealers for it, they were both around $1,100.

Happened on mine maybe 3ish yrs ago? (at least thats when I noticed it since my wife mostly drove the car) Could hear it rattle every now and then and procrastinated fixing it until maybe a year ago.

Wasn't the clip, but the glue that failed on the center mounting point. Managed to squeeze a small bottle of gorilla glue up there. To keep it tight, I propped a paper towel roll between the top of the seat and the liner for the night. Any object sized properly would work, but I found the paper towel roll being a good solution as it didn't cause a permanent 'dent' to the liner or seat cushions. There were some small markings that went away within a day.

It's held great since, even with black paint and sitting in the sun quite a few times (the past week being 100+ degrees outside).

Had the same problem. Read through the old threads and saw someone used industrial strength velcro. I bought some on Amazon really cheap and slapped it in there, good as new.

Also, sort of funny, I too used paper towel rolls stuffed between the headrests (all the way up) and the roof to hold it there for a while. It worked perfectly, and I would recommend that too.

Got this from Subaru customer support:

Thank you for contacting Subaru.

I checked our records and there is no TSB for this issue. We would recommend that you schedule an appointment with your local Subaru retailer so they can diagnose the issue and provide you with an estimate for repairs.

If you are mechanically inclined, you may want to visit our Technical Site for the purchase of a 3 day subscription to access Service Manuals. Here is the site, https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/#/login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got this from Subaru customer support:

Thank you for contacting Subaru.

I checked our records and there is no TSB for this issue. We would recommend that you schedule an appointment with your local Subaru retailer so they can diagnose the issue and provide you with an estimate for repairs.

If you are mechanically inclined, you may want to visit our Technical Site for the purchase of a 3 day subscription to access Service Manuals. Here is the site, https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/#/login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JESUS MARRY!!! $35 for 3 days and $2500 for a year of using a service manual? how much do they sell them for? for that price the damn thing better at least be able to pass me tools. can you give me their email so i can tell them where to stick their service manual?

JESUS MARRY!!! $35 for 3 days and $2500 for a year of using a service manual? how much do they sell them for? for that price the damn thing better at least be able to pass me tools. can you give me their email so i can tell them where to stick their service manual?

I think I found it on ebay. It's only $7 in the link below, and you could offer like $5...

LINK TO SERVICE MANUAL ON EBAY: https://www.ebay.com/i/264076707580?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=264076707580&targetid=539174490155&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9001882&poi=&campaignid=1881303751&mkgroupid=70803274795&rlsatarget=aud-298628318826:pla-539174490155&abcId=1139336&merchantid=119269950&gclid=CjwKCAjw-ITqBRB7EiwAZ1c5UwsfXmIrYStEzbWwZM7kIlZqHtb240gkf__vnjyoe1Baj9EHzqwNFxoC5SYQAvD_BwE

Nice find, i have it downloaded on my comp but a hard copy would be nice since i don't love getting my comp covered in grime. the thing I'd really love is a book with all the diagrams giving part numbers. I assume it exists but i can't seem to find one.