LegacyGT.com

stage 3 checklist

Over the course of the winter, my dad and I have been acquiring parts to go with the 18G that we picked up from BNR in November. Now that spring is almost here (well, sort of. We just got half a foot of snow today) we're itching to put the go faster bits on the car. Just wondering if the list looks good to you guys or if we've missed anything along the way.

Already on the car

AP V1

Cobb up and tbe

PW IC

stage 2 Comp Clutch

Hotchkis F&R sways

Bilstein HDs with pinks

Stuff we've been collecting

18G

IPT oil lines

DW 740

DW 65c pump

GS ebcs

Turbosmart BPV

New OEM turbo inlet just in case

If you were going to be installing all this, what order would you do things in? And can anything be installed without needing a tune?

Sounds like you have a decent mod list. You might think about upgrading to an apv2 with all the money you have already spent. The ap1 is virtually unsupported by cobb now in most cases.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Yup, definitely meant turbo inlet. And I will try and convince my dad to buy the V2, especially since our local tuner said he's had instances where the V1 has run out of memory while tuning.

Dave, in your experience, how bad would it be if the car was tuned with the cobb cbe and we decide to put the stock cbe back on for a roadtrip? While the cobb sounds great, it is fairly drony at highway speeds

You can install a fuel pump without a tune? If so the DW65 might go in tonight/tomorrow...

yup no issues.

And I recommend trading in that V1 AP if they still do that. As cryo said it's basically unsupported now.

Also oil lines and BPV can go in as well without needing to mess with the tune.

You can install a fuel pump without a tune? If so the DW65 might go in tonight/tomorrow...

Yup get that fuel pump in there for the upcoming etune. Its good insurance for a 7 year old pump;)

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Yup, definitely meant turbo inlet. And I will try and convince my dad to buy the V2, especially since our local tuner said he's had instances where the V1 has run out of memory while tuning.

Cobb will give you $200 credit towards a new APv2 if you send them the V1.

• Moderators
Yup get that fuel pump in there for the upcoming etune. Its good insurance for a 7 year old pump;)

Dave

For sure. It's definitely going in I just thought that it had to happen along with the rest of the crap, now I see I can do it beforehand.

Sorry to threadjack, OP--looks like a nice little build you've got.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Only thing I'd add is a wideband O2 sensor/AFR gauge. When going to larger injectors it will be helpful to get better resolution for injector scaling, and at stage 3 I've heard monitoring AFRs with a gauge is recommended to ensure your running healthy. I'm planning my stage 3 as well and thinking about the PLX AFR along with a VBG1 gauge. With your Cobb DP you already have an extra bung for the sensor.

Working on getting a V2 right now, there's a couple for sale on the forum. Would I need a w/b O2 all the time, or just when getting tuned up? i.e. could I borrow one from someone who's local or would I need my own.

And one more thing, do the V1 maps work on a V2? There's a pdx tune on the V1 that would be nice to keep until the new parts get put on the car

Only thing I'd add is a wideband O2 sensor/AFR gauge. When going to larger injectors it will be helpful to get better resolution for injector scaling, and at stage 3 I've heard monitoring AFRs with a gauge is recommended to ensure your running healthy. I'm planning my stage 3 as well and thinking about the PLX AFR along with a VBG1 gauge. With your Cobb DP you already have an extra bung for the sensor.

+1.. Even at stage 2 with a new front 02 sensor, the A/F readings can be off under boost. I logged a pull recently where my A/F reading dipped lean at the beginning of my pull, then stabilized. This made me and my tuner nervous, so we did another log where he only watched my boost gage and my wideband, and the A/F readings were right where they were supposed to be. The OEM 02 sensor is suitable for partial throttle, but erratic under boost. I can imagine that this would be worse with a new turbo.

Working on getting a V2 right now, there's a couple for sale on the forum. Would I need a w/b O2 all the time, or just when getting tuned up? i.e. could I borrow one from someone who's local or would I need my own.

And one more thing, do the V1 maps work on a V2? There's a pdx tune on the V1 that would be nice to keep until the new parts get put on the car

You don't need one all the time, and certainly can just use one during tuning. When I go to stage 3, I will want one full time for peace of mind and ensuring it's all healthy. At higher boost I wouldn't want a problem to arise and not know I was running lean for example and have knock cause serious issues.

You don't need one all the time, and certainly can just use one during tuning. When I go to stage 3, I will want one full time for peace of mind and ensuring it's all healthy. At higher boost I wouldn't want a problem to arise and not know I was running lean for example and have knock cause serious issues.

Another +1. You don't need one except for tuning, but it is nice to glance at it once and awhile to ensure the A/F readings are where they should be. Before I replaced my front 02 the WB02 helped me verify that I was running rich. Now, I can ease my mind and know that everything is running right. It's worth the extra money IMHO.

I add a oil return hose to your list of things to get.

If your replaceing the intake tube, I'd do the o-rings at the intake to TGV's too.

I also like the idea of using bolts instead of the studs to hold the turbo to the up pipe.

The dealer has bolts, I used the same ones that hold the up pipe support bracket to the block. Made it much easier to install the turbo, oil return hose and intake tube at the same time.

Oh yea, anti -sieze compound on all the nuts and bolts.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My dad works as a millwright, so he can get pretty much any bolt size we need. I'll tell him to pick a couple of those up from work (don't suppose you have size or part # for them?). I'm gonna guess that the oil return line isn't part of the IP&T kit so that would need to be picked up with the o-rings as well, right?

And any recommendations for a wideband in case we decide to keep one on all the time?

My dad works as a millwright, so he can get pretty much any bolt size we need. I'll tell him to pick a couple of those up from work (don't suppose you have size or part # for them?). I'm gonna guess that the oil return line isn't part of the IP&T kit so that would need to be picked up with the o-rings as well, right?

And any recommendations for a wideband in case we decide to keep one on all the time?

AEM UEGO, or Innovate LC-1. I've heard that either one is quality, but not sure one way or the other. I went with the AEM unit and I'm pretty happy.

bolt's are 10mmX 1.25 may be 1 inch long I kind of like the dealer ones because IMO they may handle the heat better. The bolt heads had a flange on them. After I bought the ej257 from them and all the other stuff, the parts guy gave me the bolts.

The oem return hose is like $20.00 any high temp rubber hose should work.

The o-rings are like $20.00 at the dealer.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

AEM UEGO, or Innovate LC-1. I've heard that either one is quality, but not sure one way or the other. I went with the AEM unit and I'm pretty happy.

Innovate products have been very annoying for me in the past. Getting everything to work together nicely (LC-1/DB gauge/SSI-4) was a pain in the ass. I've heard nothing but good things about the UEGO.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, some updates: I picked up a V2 AP while I was road tripping to LA over the last couple weeks (and damn am I jealous of their weather). My dad isn't keen on buying an O2 sensor though, so if I can't find one locally we'll be driving to 3 hours to get tuned on a dyno. Should know by tonight whether I'm bugging Dave for the etune or Sunny for some dyno time.

As for install, I got the fuel pump in on Monday and just got the injectors in about ten minutes ago and now I'm breaking for some lunch. I'm a little intimidated by the turbo (there's hoses and things coming out of it everywhere) but thankfully there's a ton of good walkthroughs. Putting everything back together is gonna be fun

It's his car haha, I just do the work on it. My car is the 03 LGT which gets worse gas mileage and is slower than a camry :spin: I'll see if I can change his mind about the O2 sensor though

Archived