LegacyGT.com

Oil leak/burning from turbo area?? is it turbo or head?

just smelled oil burning and popped the hood... smoke coming from under turbo area. i see oil on the intercooler only on the turbo side.

Where you think this oil is coming from?? turbo?? head gasket?? what else is over there??

Exhaust rusted out and fell apart week ago and now this...

I had a similar leak and it was the turbo oil feed line. It was rotted out or broken just slightly below the turbo. It pretty much sprayed the whole area with oil mist..

I resolved it by cutting the line, folding it over and brazing it. I then installed the IPT oil feed line to replace it.

Hey fella's. I've searched this forum extensively and this is the closest issue I could find that I am having. I am going through a considerable amount of oil

I'm talking 2 quarts after say a 1200 mile trip. I see a good bit of oil residue on the top of the turbo oil feed line. I checked inside the tmic turbo flange. There's no oil residue inside. I already replaced both copper gasket/washers on the oil feed line. Do you guys think it is the oil line, internal turbo failure or engine internal problem? Could it seriously be the feed line that's bad? I am doubting that because under boost I smoke a lot out of the tail pipes. Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks for the help ... I'm getting up in there to look at where its coming from today... just had two motorcycles in the shop i have to get back out ... nice weather at end of summer makes for very impatient bike repair customers.

if you see smoke out the exhaust openings.... it's either going directly into the turbo or it's being lost in compression (rings or valves).

The turbo oil feed line can crack/fail, it has happened quite a bit.

Make sure you're not dripping from a valve cover gasket, or the rear main/oil separator plate too.

Archived