LegacyGT.com

HELP Oil leak/burning from turbo /IC area (pictures)

Asked before and without pictures few of u said it was probably oil feed line to turbo. But I don't see oil down there I see it on Intercooler seam turbo side..... Take look at pictures and help me figure out what problem I got here please

2005 LGT EAT

1377543177683.thumb.jpg.f3f89783f65f6aa47895c0309c4eaddb.jpg

1377543201283.thumb.jpg.1f98f54c0522ca8d0cce00ea81d17d6d.jpg

1377543215115.thumb.jpg.8223e2dbec81d8ec7a1843bd56a7a29e.jpg

Intercooler needs replacing. It has a leak.

that would be better than turbo leaking... But why would there be oil in the intercooler?? Enough to drip on exhaust and cause smoke??

Is this why people install catch cans??

I'm just trying to understand... I been working on cars and motorcycles my whole life, but turbo setups are new to me.

Oil is thrown around the intake system and under pressure it will leak out any opening. If you have failing rings you'll get a lot more oil thrown around.

Turbo side of the TMIC is known to fail over time, especially if you boost more then stock.

I'd clean it off and see how quickly the oil comes back to confirm this before you replace it.

Cool... Gona do that now and keep track of it.

This car always did consume oil its whole life, not crazy but enough to check on and add half quart in between changes.

Would a catch can setup help with this oil in system??

I'd agree the intercooler is leaking, but with that much seepage I suspect seals on turbo are going. There will be some oil vapor and general wetness in the system but you've got what looks to be quite a bit of oil there.

I'd agree the intercooler is leaking, but with that much seepage I suspect seals on turbo are going. There will be some oil vapor and general wetness in the system but you've got what looks to be quite a bit of oil there.

If it is Seals in the turbo going... Is there a rebuild option or is it replace whole turbo??

You won't have much trouble finding a used decent shape turbo here. Plenty of folks are upgrading to BNR units or VF52s etc. If you're looking for stock power you should be able to find a vf40 or vf46 cheap. I got rid of my vf46 for $175. I think that'd be your best bet. If you want to upgrade for power, even a new BNR16g is $750..

• Moderators
NYCdob--if you can, snap a picture of the front "seam" on your TMIC, closest to the turbo. I'm talking about the short seam that is more-or-less perpendicular to the ground. I should be able help you figure out how bad the TMIC is leaking. If it's a pretty bad leak this amount of residue isn't unique, but either way it's something to keep an eye on.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Thanks for the help brother...

I already cleaned all around the IC... The seam ur talking about definitely had oil residue built up, took notice because it was just as dirty as the top seam in the pictures but more dried and caked up some, but the car has not been getting use for past week.

• Moderators
I'm not looking for residue, I wanna see what the aluminum tabs look like on that seam. If it's your TMIC failing and you're using half a quart of oil / 3000 miles (which is really very minimal for these cars and doesn't indicate a problem), you can likely fix it with a BP kit (see the link in my signature) or another replacement intercooler option (stock or aftermarket).

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Ok here is some pictures of the front turbo side seam...

Don't see any new oil after cleaning it few days ago and I drove everyday and got on some WOT few times to push it.... What u think??

IMAG2018.thumb.jpg.bc651143ea2db96911612b787e782eff.jpg

IMAG2017.thumb.jpg.3a037dfa3c276c648941b0de62186032.jpg

What your seeing is more/less normal for these cars.

Watch your oil useage. If your using lot's of oil then may be think about replacing the turbo. But a little oil into the tmic is normal at this age.

How many miles on the car ?

If you need to talk with a good Tech. Mike at http://www.AZPinstalls.com is in northern NJ.

Have his guy's take a look at it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

120,000 miles now... she got used but not beat on

I add a half quart in between changes at 5000 miles and i used pennzoil platinum since right after break in

I'm in westchester now just north of the city... I would def be down to take a ride to see a good tech ... we love this car and made the choice to keep her to the end so in the process of upgrading as replacing ie. exhaust system rusted out so going with full system and AP

Thanks for the reply brother

You should contact Mike, tell him I sent you. I have bought a lot from him over the years. He helps out on here for free so I like to recommend him when ever I can.

If that's the only issue you have at that mileage your in great shape.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks Max.

It definitely looks like a seeping seal in the turbo but the question is how bad? What's your oil consumption over 3k miles? It could also be an extra leaky IC as well.

We can do a smoke test to check the IC and do our best to see what is causing the oil seep.

You may need a new turbo as these aren't readily rebuildable. We used to install used turbos for customers and 9/10 of them fail within 5-10k miles. The failure rate of new ones is significantly less closer to 0.

We've installed a bunch of new oem turbos usually the ones from the 09+ wrx or the BNR units.

Either way reach out and we will help however we can.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/145749898/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

I'm using about 1/2 quart every 5000 when used as DD by the wife (no getting on it)

but the car always used that much ... i have to get back on strict schedule of checking and making a log... car is at 120k miles and never had problems but seems a lot is happening now... exhaust rusted out, this oil showing up, heat from the HVAC floor vents all the time... she's showing age now and we love the car so going to upgrade as we repair as much as possible.

I'm a mechanic, working on cars and bikes since i can pass wrench to my pops and now I do a lot of motorcycle builds and repairs.... but turbo setups is all new to me, I get it but the details are new info... i got stage 2 exhaust and AP on the way to fix that exhaust issue the right way ;) and i have the gates timing belt and water pump kit going in too (little late) doing LWCP i have already and new rad hoses while in there.

After that I'm gona take ride out to see you and talk shop for sure man... see whats up and what you think needs TBD.... also got BC BR coilovers in her that I (and few shops) could never get setup right for our DD/sport driving.

.5Q per 5k miles is actually very very good. If I had to guess it isn't your turbo.

I would say a catch can the Crawford one is real good and a TMIC and you would be good to go.

I would also do a compression test too just to make sure you aren't getting massive blow by.

Mike

Archived