LegacyGT.com

First Mod Upgrade Opinions

I just picked up a 05 Outback XT.

I had a 02 WRX wagon which I had put a full 3' TBE larger intercooler and cobb tuning. I sold the WRX to get out of debt, but I just couldn't live without a subi.

I realized when buying the OBXT I should get rid of the up pipe cat. I don't want to run the risk of damaging my turbo. I'm currently looking at either a STI up pipe, or I just found a Agency Power used up pipe for $80 (Is this thing any good or total crap? Be honest). Due to not having a bunch of money (since I just bought the car) I'd like to keep it as inexpensive as possible.

I realize doing just an up-pipe won't do me any good without a tune and a down pipe. Does removing the cat from the stock downpipe make a differene? or is it not worth doing?

Are there any suggestions for different mods that would make a larger difference up front with a low cost then doing the up pipe and down pipe and paying to get a tune?

Thanks in advance!

-Nate

I chose a GrimmSpeed because i wanted new, but that'll run you over a $150. I know that a lot of guys on here go with the STI up pipe cause u can get them cheap, they're reliable, and they get the job done.

Welcome Nate. Nothing wrong with the STi UP and if your on a budget it's the best bang for the buck. Can't beat OEM fitment with heat shields, and replacing the UP isn't for performance as much as peace of mind that the cat won't grenade your turbo. No experience with the Agency Power UP so not able to help you there.

Some do gut the existing DP but realize it's the block off plate directly behind the turbo's wastegate that is the biggest restriction. I'd recommend saving for a DP. Many times good deals on quality used ones will come up in the classifeds, and the CNT is well reviewed for a cheaper new alternative. Also if you're planning a DP at any time it has to come off to do the UP install anyhow so that's why it's quite common to do them at the same time.

Stage 2 (DP + Tune) is the best bang for the buck power modification you will be able to do with our platform. Power to cost ratio is unmatched and really wakes the car up. Other good mods are rear sway bar, tires, and good pads/rotors. The rest becomes quite the slippery slope (stage 2 is the drop off that ledge - it's easy to want more ;) )

Thanks for getting back to me Catalyst.

The rest becomes quite the slippery slope (stage 2 is the drop off that ledge - it's easy to want more )

This part I'm fully aware of.... I'm trying to make myself ok with "enough".

In all honestly I find that I don't drive as hard as I used to. When I had my WRX I used to drive it decently hard due to living in the country, and taking a lot of back roads pretty often. A lot of what I miss is having the lack of turbo lag. I liked feeling it kick in at lower RPM's and I kind of miss the nice grumble from the exhaust and hearing the turbo noise a little more.

I think I'll go for the STI UP and wait to install it until I get a aftermarket DP.

Is the access port the most affordable reflashing method? or is it better to go with a company that tunes it once and leave it at that?

Thanks guys!

First of all, don't smoke the forum hype. Upipe failure is WAY overstated and with an oem turbo and reasonable EGT's will not be an issue during its intended life. Its part of your SMOG system. Its federally mandated to last 120k/10yrs. Don't f**k with it unless you are upgrading your turbo or have a ton of miles.

Ive got a LGT with basically everything you can put on one and a OBXT with nothing but what makes the biggest bang for buck performance wise and maintenance/longevity wise.

2006 OBXT

OEM UPPIPE

Front and Rear Swaybars

Kartboy Rear Swaybar Mount (OEM front or Moog is okay)

AVO Rear Swaybar Bracket

Infamous Stage1 Tune

LegacyGT Calipers/Brake Pads/Rotors (OBXT has 2.5i brakes)

KillerB Oil Pickup (oem can break and take out your motor, my LGTs was cracked at 60k)

IPT turbo oil line (totally optional, I have it to keep the turbo filtered. its a big filter, is easier to check than a banjo and would be very hard to clog.)

everything else is extra... (Magnaflow exhaust, short shifter, sti pedals, led interior kit, turbo heatshield, tires, etc, etc)

I chose a GrimmSpeed because i wanted new, but that'll run you over a $150. I know that a lot of guys on here go with the STI up pipe cause u can get them cheap, they're reliable, and they get the job done.

After you bought the wrong one on ebay by not following others advice or checking in. You don't have enough experience to be making any suggestions. You aren't being helpful and are not yet an example of how to go about modding a LGT. :redface:Predictable response in 3...2...1...

That totally makes sense. Which is along the lines of what I'm thinking. I should have put on here that I bought my car with 120k on it, and it appears that the car has been taken care of, however I don't know for sure how well things have been taken care of.

A lot of what I'm thinking with the up pipe is to just make sure that I'm not going to have anything that goes wrong.

I'm paranoid now due to running into a problem with a previous VW TDI I owned (I know shouldn't have bought one to begin with) Here was what happened. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=317497

So I figure if I already am going to change out the up pipe in order to know i won't have a problem, why not gain some performance at the same time.

Anyway, Thanks again guys!

Archived