LegacyGT.com

What year Legacy Spec B is best to buy??

i actually had a very hard time finding info on 2006 spec B's when i was looking into them.

2006 was the limited year where only 500 were ever made and they came with the same same and transmission as the 5 speed legacy's. but the suspension is upgraded, better struts, top hats, aluminum lca's, 18" wheels and this and that.

2007 and up spec B's where not limited but they are still pretty hard to find. i saw a make a review on the 2006-2008 spec B's and he said he liked the 2007 the best. i believe its the same as the 2006 other then they have a 6 speed. i know my 2006 but have only seen one other spec B in my life and that was a 2008.

as for Hp wise i know for sure the 2006 spec B is putting out the same amount of Hp as my 2005 but its quicker "by reviews" due to some upgraded components. as for the 2007 + i wouldn't think they got any more hp but the gear ratio and everything changed. good luck with your search. sorry if info wasn't good enough hope someone more knowledgeable will chime in and fill the gaps in for you.

I'm with DM on the styling of the pre facelift (06 & 07) over the post (08 & 09). I love the color of the interior on the 06 and the exterior color that's unique to the year. Not a big fan of the blue inserts in the 07, although I really like the 08/09 charcoal alcantra inserts.

07 and newer get split fold down rear seats, AUX in capabilities on the stereo, have no cat in the uppipe, and have some subtle engine changes with banjo filter locations and they also have the VF46 vs. the VF40.

Biggest benefit of the 07+ is the 6MT and R180 rear diff.

Perfect spec.B for me if I ever upgrade would be a white 09, thanks to the color combo inside and out. These are quite rare (production in 09 was very limited - and in white even more rare). Then do the JDM bumpers and front lip to accept the updated styling.

I'm really happy with my 06 though, and realistically I don't see changing to a newer one. I think down the road will probably drop in a built EJ257, beef up the 5MT with stronger gears, go to a R180 rear diff with a 4.11 ring and pinion set, and drop in a LSD front diff. Then get the ultimate Bilstein coilover setup, (the "b" in spec.B), with the PSS coils. Also going to respray the car in the Titanium Silver Metallic with a JDM rev A-C rear bumper, and keep my numbered first year spec.B for many years to come.

I'd be willing to be that the 2008 spec B's are the most common and the 2009 are the least common. There are color limitations with each year if that sways your opinion. 2006 only came in TSM, 2007 came in TSM and DGM, 2008 came in DGM and QSM, and 2009's were available in SWP, OBP, and I have not seen or heard of other colors.

2006's came numbered and with red full leather interior and red trimmed carpet mats. 2007's came with blue perforated alcantara inserts in the seats and door cards. 2008/2009 came with black perforated alcantara inserts in the seats and door cards.

2006 and I think 2007 came with a catted UP while the 2008 and 2009 came with catless UP but a massive cumbersome smog pump and different oil fill neck.

The 2006 is the only year the spec B came with a 5MT while the 2007-2009's had the 6MT with progressively longer gears in ascending years.

The 2006 and 2007 came with the original set of spec B wheels while the 2008 and 2009 came with wheels that look more like the 5th gen LGT wheels.

With regards to JDM/USDM interchange bits, the 2006 and 2007 have all the same bits sans the grilles, fogs, and bumper whereas the 2008 and 2009 have completely different front ends. One thing in common however, is that ALL BL/BP LGT/spec B's have the same hood, ALL BP OBXT's have the same hood, ALL N/A BL/BP's have the same hood, and ALL N/A BP OB's have the same hood (makes it very nice for conversions!)

I will note one thing in particular however, post July 2007 build date turbo EJ255 and EJ257 motors have very well known issues with ringlands failing, cylinder 4 low fuel, and much higher rates of oil consumption. If proper first 3000 miles on the car break in was not performed I WOULD NOT recommend buying one after that build date or you will go through what I do with mine. Quart every 1000 miles or so, lack of potential HP, and cylinder blow-by (lots of oil in the intake system).

Outside of everything, it comes down to visual preference. I personally like the refresh years 2008 and 2009 more and I LOVE my JDM MY2008 refresh STi front end. I also like the refresh tails compared to the large red tails from the 2005-2007 BL's.

Personally I wouldn't mind having ANY year. I LOVE <3 them all and there are aspects of each year that I like that the other years don't have. I can't see myself ever wanting to trade mine though... ever LOL.

Hope this helps!

And Catalyst, I miss those center caps haha!

Hello All,

I'm planning to get a Spec B but I don't know what year is best to buy. Can anyone tell me what the pros and cons are with the different Spec B years? Accessories, mileage, horse power...anything. Thanks.

The newest one.

/thread

P.S., it's "horsepower", not "horse power"

• 10 months later...

Archived