LegacyGT.com

19mm rear sway bar install

Guest rayms69

I want to have one installed, but I don't want to give them a hassle about my warranty if I have to use it.

if you have a suspension issue coming from the rear just swap the new one out and put the original one back in, if it doesn't fix the problem at least your ready for a trip to the dealer with no worries.

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^ GTEASER or fredrik94087 would be the ones to ask.

They are here sometime by mainly in the 5th Gen threads or you can just PM them.

Edited by Yoda_One
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Just ordered whiteline 22mms with kartboy endlinks. Anyone have any recommendations? Spacers?

Congrats on the rear sway, you'll love it. Aftermarket end links are not necessary, but if you want them, go for it. Can you post a pic of the ones you bought? There are a few out there that interfere with the rear spring perches and I cant remember which ones but would know them if I saw them.

Spacers for what? Wheels?

I second (third?) The recommendation to go with the Whiteline adjustable bar. Its not much more than the subie ones, and you really won't regret that extra couple mm... I have mine on the middle 22mm setting and I'll be moving up to the 23mm setting soon.

The winter driving oversteer is perfect. Its neutral until you jerk the wheel and poke the throttle and the rear comes out exactly the amount you want...never more and seems to go right back on command.

I find under steer in snow terrifying. You feel helpless as you plow straight towards a curb... I'd take a bit of oversteer over that any day. As far as I am concerned... Its still on the under side of neutral... But close.

Now this has got me contemplating a limited slip diff in the rear....

Congrats on the rear sway, you'll love it. Aftermarket end links are not necessary, but if you want them, go for it. Can you post a pic of the ones you bought? There are a few out there that interfere with the rear spring perches and I cant remember which ones but would know them if I saw them.

I ordered these.

WHI BSR49XZ Whiteline Rear Sway Bar 22mm Adjustable Subaru Models (inc. 2008-2015 WRX / STI)

KAR KB-017-08REAR Kartboy Rear Endlinks Subaru Models (inc. 2008-2015 Subaru WRX / STI)

I've never done a sway bar before but it doesn't look overly complicated. I just want to make sure I've got all the right stuff.

Edited by kaopealii

The description is correct.

When you guys go from 16 to 22mm whiteline, take it easy around corners until you become familiar with the response...especially on/off ramps as there is little room for error.

That is the bar you want to match the 26mm FSB. I am not trying to scare you. Just dont push it as you are used to understeer versus a "neutral" steer.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

The description is correct.

When you guys go from 16 to 22mm whiteline, take it easy around corners until you become familiar with the response...especially on/off ramps as there is little room for error.

That is the bar you want to match the 26mm FSB. I am not trying to scare you. Just dont push it as you are used to understeer versus a "neutral" steer.

I appreciate the advice. I came from a 2004 325xi e46 so I've got some experience with AWD.. and a lot less understeer. I'll take it easy though. I'll have a nice drive home to get used to it.

Guest rayms69
i will never get the whiteline one now, thanks fredrk. The stock end links are dummy proof, the adjustable ones can be tricky. Im sure the directions are good from that brand though. actice torque vectoring and the 22mm would go well together i bet. Suspension air bags so i get down would be awesome, all those non squeak poly bushings. Would be fun.

i will never get the whiteline one now, thanks fredrk. The stock end links are dummy proof, the adjustable ones can be tricky. Im sure the directions are good from that brand though. actice torque vectoring and the 22mm would go well together i bet. Suspension air bags so i get down would be awesome, all those non squeak poly bushings. Would be fun.

Like I said...the 22mm bar is great.

If you are not lokking for all out performance and an RSB is the only thing you will do whe running 225 tires and keeping your car to factory spec, then yes...19mm or 20mm is your biggest bang for your buck.

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

• 2 weeks later...
Just a technicality...a bigger rear sway bar doesn't reduce or eliminate understeer, a smaller front sway bar would do that. A bigger rear sway bar increases oversteer, and in this case it brings the balance more in line to neutral as it works with the suspension better, so it improves grip and road feel.

Just a technicality...a bigger rear sway bar doesn't reduce or eliminate understeer, a smaller front sway bar would do that. A bigger rear sway bar increases oversteer, and in this case it brings the balance more in line to neutral as it works with the suspension better, so it improves grip and road feel.

Thanks for the clarification. The bigger sway bar definitely brings the car to a level I am more comfortable driving at. I would recommend it for anyone who has any qualms cornering

Two days ago I had a Whiteline BSR49XZ 22mm rear sway bar installed (set to the soft - 21mm - setting) on my 3.6R + #23 with Michelin XIce3 snow tires on the Subaru wheels. I had a mechanic install it because (1) I'm over 70 and don't like crawling around on the floor; and (2) I live in Rhode Island and its *still* snowing and my garage isn't heated. They (Elite Auto Repair) did a good job, installing the bar on a lift (where I took the pictures below) and moving it to their alignment bay to tighten the bolts with the car level and the weight settled on the wheels.

I was particularly impressed with the bracing bars, which help the sway bar to work without mounting flex and probably slightly reduce chassis flex. Below, after a couple of pictures (where the light color helps it show) I'll post my impressions, which I'll edit as (if?) I have more.

From left rear of car looking forward.

2046696225_LeftRear.JPG.3c6fc9edc31f89a12c27b2bb1a05ed5c.JPG

From right rear of car looking forward.

1818967602_RightRear.JPG.ff83263721b396bb55a735155b2408c7.JPG

Impressions:

(1) It feels more stable, similar to the difference after installing good shocks replacing worn shocks; tighter, better attached to the road. Slightly firmer ride but still comfortable; I wouldn't have noticed the ride change if I hadn't been looking for it.

(2) In a long damp sweeper, accelerating gently (there was a car ahead of me), the steering was lighter and the "plowing" sensation was gone. On subsequent days, on other turns, the same sensation is evident: Flatter cornering (duh!) and both ends of the car working equally leading to the lighter steering.

I had planned a 20mm rsb, but the shipping delay plus GTeaser's comments plus the heavier front end in the 3.6R and its immediate availability led me to the change. I'm very glad I did it; it's like my first sports car (MGA) and my totally rebuilt 2002 -- I'm looking forward to curves again.

Good for you. Life not getting any longer at our age so a little enjoyment here and there are Pluses++++.

Oh by the way you can call m youngster. :lol:

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Fred H...I can't believe you already have all that crud built up under your car.

As I've said...a 22mm RSB is necessary with a 26mm FSB.

congrats!

Fred H...I can't believe you already have all that crud built up under your car.

Yes, I was surprised/distressed to see it. It appears that Subaru isn't using stainless steel for its exhausts -- I hope I'm wrong about that and that its just snow and salt crud and not rust.