LegacyGT.com

What's the latest on Summer Tires? Need new ones

havanahjoe

It's time to replace the V12s on the Spec.B. I've been very happy with these and they have lasted me almost 40,000 miles! These are daily drivers with some spirited driving and a few canyon runs here and there. For a Max Performance Summer that's pretty damn good.

I got these because Discount Tire stocked them at all their stores, so if I needed a replacement, they had them on hand. Now that I am looking, I find that the V12s are special order. I have been running 225/40 on my stock 18" Spec.B wheels and I'm pretty happy with the size.

The V12 has been around for a while, so I don't know if better tires are out there. The current price is about $140 per tire, with no rebates at the moment.

Living in Coastal San Diego, I can go with Summer Tires all year without issues, but I'd like to get at least 30k out of tires.

Any suggestions on what to check out or maybe just go with the V12s again?

Michelin Pilot Super Sport. 225/40 18. Best tire I've ever had.

Thanks! I actually went with the Michelin Pilot A/S 3s. Were very well rated by CR and not as expensive as the Super Sports. I like them! I would have probably liked the Super Sports but they would have had a shorter tread life.

I'm impressed with BFG Sport Comp 2. Sidewall is as stiff as RE050A, has as good a grip as the RE050A or SS, has a wider footprint than both, and is priced 30% lower than either one.

I've owned both RE050A and SS on a previous vehicle.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Thanks! I actually went with the Michelin Pilot A/S 3s. Were very well rated by CR and not as expensive as the Super Sports. I like them! I would have probably liked the Super Sports but they would have had a shorter tread life.

Good choice!

^^^ OP is looking for summer tires.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

• 2 weeks later...
and bought all season. Go figure.

Haha yeah, the all seasons were cheaper than the summer tires, and for the driving I do, I didn't really need ultimate performance. These do a good job and will last a while.

some people's kids.

What is this world coming to!!

and bought all season. Go figure.

Back when the A/S's I put on to replace the winters that came on it when I first bought the car were at the end, I wanted to replace them with V12's. but they aren't made in the size I needed. The tire store recommended V4's instead. Even though they are A/S he said the tread pattern was about as close as I could get to summers. Thinking that it might not be a bad idea to have some winter traction in case I got hit with a surprise early or late snow storm I decided to give them a try. I changed to the winters before any snow fell so I haven't had a chance to try them in winter conditions but their everyday and especially wet performance has been stellar.

Archived