LegacyGT.com

newbie, looking at a spec b

fysics

Hey all, first off thanks for the wealth of knowledge around here. Hoping I can put it to good use.

I'm looking at a Spec B at a Subaru dealer local to me. 2008, about 40k miles, seems to be in good condition. The dealer has had it off at a body shop for a nick on the bumper, now says it's in their shop for all new tires, brakes, and something with the Nav. All sounds just fine to me. Taking a look at it as soon as I can.

Is there anything in particular related to the cars vintage and known issues I should ask about? I understand completely being a turbo engine the need for seriously regular oil changes, fully synthetic, and sounds like the whether the oil pickup has been replaced is good to follow up on too.

Thanks to loganpk for the thread recently which I've found pretty useful.

Nothing in particular to look for other than what you stated.

Since it is a Spec B - I would confirm that the bilstien suspension has not been replaced (the shocks should be yellow) and that the aluminum control arms have not been replaced. Everything else is the same as the LGT (except the transmission and some interior pieces).

I was there at 4PM with my Spec B and the salesman that likes my Spec and my Wagon came over and asked me if I wanted a third Legacy.

He said they had just gotten a 08 with 39,000 miles in.

I didn't even look at it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for the quick reply guys, will check on the suspension setup. I'm sure it'll go fast so hoping I can take a peak before it's off the dealer lot. Not too many out there anywhere for the money and the low miles.

I was there at 4PM with my Spec B and the salesman that likes my Spec and my Wagon came over and asked me if I wanted a third Legacy.

He said they had just gotten a 08 with 39,000 miles in.

I didn't even look at it.

Yea that's the one. Damn coulda got more of a scoop, but it seems pretty straight forward for what they've got. Your Spec sounds awesome, I'll have to read up on it more.

Yo if its black you better look close. As far as i know ALL spec b's are silver. It could have been painted but double check man. They may be suby dealers but they are car salesmen non the less. No offense you anyone is one ;p

:nono:

There were no black 08 specb-s. Must be DGM....

That's what I thought, but I'm not a expert on the colors the Spec's came in.

I'm sure that info is on here somewhere.

May be I'll swing by today and have a peak at it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

One other detail to note is that it should have the R180 limited slip differential, but like Spec B said just check and make sure things aren't stripped out of it.

Also check under the hood and see if things look like they've been removed before. May give an idea if it's been modded.

Find out if the gear oil has been changed out of the differentials yet and if not you'll wanna do that with it being at 40k, if you buy it. Better yet, ask them to change it before you buy it, stuff is like $20 a bottle.

Thanks for the few extras, definitely I figure good to see if anything looks like it's been modded/replaced or fiddled with recently. Figure it being at a Subie dealer it should be decently clean since they are turning it around.

$25k is about the KBB on it, might be a bit much for a 4yr old car but it's fairly low miles no at 10k/yr? All I've ever been told is that the brand holds its value quite well, so sounds all normal to me. Hoping to stop by and see 'er this afternoon.

They do hold value (especially the spec.B) and the mileage seems good. I'd definitely negotiate pricing and see if you can get a SOA warranty included if it isn't already. With that year and mileage you should be able to qualify for their version of the CPO program (should qualify for Gold with that model year and mileage). I have the SOA warranty with a $50 deductible inclusive of turbo. Peace of mind for a used turbocharged vehicle where it's hard to establish if preventative maintenance was truly done with the previous owner.

Not saying a third party warranty is worthwhile - but I'd push for the SOA one.

fysics, where in CT are you? My 2008 SpecB is for sale and I'm asking $17,500.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-ny-2008-legacy-gt-spec-b-p3875270.html#post3875270

looks solid RJS, but I'm hoping to buy near stock and with a bit lower mileage.

Not saying a third party warranty is worthwhile - but I'd push for the SOA one.

I'm looking into it, dealer says there should be no issues putting the SoA warranty on it. it does however have an aftermarket exhaust on it, dealer is aware, says they can still put the warranty on it. they took in the car from NY and don't believe it's got anything else done to it. impossible to tell if there's been a tune I suppose.

I'm waiting for them to fix up a few items (fog light, something with the Nav), I've put in an offer though.

Cool - I came from a Saab myself - had a 2000 9-5 sedan. Really been happy to be back in a Subaru! The Saab had more creature comforts and was super quiet in the cabin, but I had a 96 LGT (non turbo) before it, and have had zero regrets leaving the Saab for the '06 spec.B!

Cool - I came from a Saab myself - had a 2000 9-5 sedan. Really been happy to be back in a Subaru! The Saab had more creature comforts and was super quiet in the cabin, but I had a 96 LGT (non turbo) before it, and have had zero regrets leaving the Saab for the '06 spec.B!

I love my Saab, for all it's fwd torque-steery goodness and the bells n whistles, but I've amassed 174k miles on it. it's just time for me to move on. it hardly put a foot wrong and I've only had to replace the fuel pump in that time. sounds like a great experience, I'm def looking forward to the chance at Spec B!

I honestly love my 08 QSM spec.B. I paid $23k for mine back in October with 29k on it from a private party seller and it needed tires badly. Great all around car only honest complaint would be gas mileage. Max I've gotten is 23.6mpg and usually average about 22.7mpg, but that's not really why anyone buys a LGT, myself included.

I spent a year plus looking for a car that had the performance, luxury and feel that I wanted in a price I was willing to afford and I always found myself coming back to a spec.B.

I know I'm not spelling out tips and hazards about the purchase but most of those it sounds like you found via search.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

To give you an idea of how they hold their value, I bought an 02 wrx wagon 3 years ago for $6,000 with 110k on it. Just sold it last Tuesday with 163k on it for $6,000

:)

that's something! Saab has really had not much for resale value for a long time, mine was no exception. new it was $42k, in 2006 3yrs old 40k miles and still on the factory warranty I bought it for $19k, and now the stealership is offering me less than $2k with it's high mileage! to be expected for sure though. the resale value of the Spec B is why it's looking at around $25k for this DGM one.

Archived