LegacyGT.com

Turbo Inlet Options

I'm finishing up collecting parts for my Stage 3 build and now I'm trying to decide what route I want to go with for the inlet. I know of two options:

1.) OEM Inlet, less expensive but more restrictive and install requires removing the intake manifold.

2.) Perrin or AVO inlet, more expensive, less restrictive and depends and who you ask but I've heard nearly impossible install or it's much easier compared to the oem inlet since removing the intake manifold is not required.

Any suggestions from personal experience regarding the install is greatly appreciated. Money really isn't the issue but more the time and difficulty of the install vs performance.

Stage 3 build:

Invidia Catless Downpipe

Invidia Catless Uppipe

VF52 with upgraded billet 11 blade compressor

AVO TMIC

DW65c Fuel Pump

RCI 1000cc Injectors

Grimmspeed EBCS

"Ask any racer. Any real racer. . "

If you're gonna go anything above Stage 2, you should get, and be comfortable ripping into your intake mani and pulling stuff out/apart and putting it back in.

That said, you're better off with the Perrin or AVO unit at that power level.

Hey, how's your bottom end?

the current perrin piece is actually built for a 08+ wrx and has slightly different hose locations which make fitting the BPV hose a pain unless you already have replaced that with a silicon piece.

Either the stock or aftermarket can be installed without removing the IM. Stock is easier because it is smaller.

OEM if you don't plan on swapping turbos again. Aftermarket if turbos will potentially be replaced again.

Don't forget about Samco - there products are not cheap, but they are better than other aftermarket offerings. I have one along with their BPV return line and the quality vs. the competitors is impressive to say the least. Roger Clark Motorsports can fulfill your order if you go this route - and shipping is super fast.

Either the stock or aftermarket can be installed without removing the IM. Stock is easier because it is smaller.

Is there enough room for the stock inlet to fit underneath? I thought the silicone inlets were able to do this becuase they are more pliable.

Sounds like its between the AVO and the stock inlet. Any dyno proof showing an aftermarket inlet produces any significant gains?

I'm not going for crazy power, hopefully close to 300whp and reliable.

• Moderators
OEM if you don't plan on swapping turbos again. Aftermarket if turbos will potentially be replaced again.

Don't forget about Samco - there products are not cheap, but they are better than other aftermarket offerings. I have one along with their BPV return line and the quality vs. the competitors is impressive to say the least. Roger Clark Motorsports can fulfill your order if you go this route - and shipping is super fast.

Have you installed the Samco yet? Looking at mine right now it looks like it's gonna take some pretty good massaging to get everything hooked up, especially the PCV hose. I think that's common with most aftermaket inlets, but this one was *supposed* to be more of a direct fit and I don't think that will be the case.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Isn't BMB running the plastic TGV deletes (which I also own, but the brand name escapes me right now), therefore no phenolic spacer needed? I've also got the samco from the recent group buy, but it's still in the box. Doing my stage 3 down to the tgvs later this summer. Glad to hear the quality is good on the samco.

not that I have data, but I don't believe you're going to see any appreciable increase in power from an inlet, and for the cost, you should look elsewhere for performance gains. like lose 10 lbs.

if you haven't ripped your OEM inlet, no reason to change it. I've also never needed to remove the IM to play with the OEM intake or it's hose connections. I've also removed and replaced my original OEM from turbo's several times without fail, so just go slow and be gentle.

some of the aftermarket products, as stated here, are not direct replacements for LGT's, so make sure to look into what you're getting.

overall, if you tear your OEM, or need to have an aftermarket, I'd vote for samco inlet and BPV replacement silicone parts.

and watch for boost creep with the VF52 and catless DP. wastegate porting will help, but is a common issue. backpressure from a cat, as well as being cleaner, isn't a bad thing.

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Thanks for the help guys. I'm probably going to stick with the stock inlet. No plans on changing turbos anytime soon and the inlet that's on there looks pretty saturated with oil. Hopefully the replacement lasts another 90k.

Isn't BMB running the plastic TGV deletes (which I also own, but the brand name escapes me right now), therefore no phenolic spacer needed? I've also got the samco from the recent group buy, but it's still in the box. Doing my stage 3 down to the tgvs later this summer. Glad to hear the quality is good on the samco.

I'm not running anything right now, still need to put the car back together. BUT, i'll be running JDM TGV deletes (metal) with 3mm phenolic spacers.

Honestly, they're intended for the STi-style metal intake manis where heatsoak is an issue because metal. With our plastic intakes, the heat dissipates far faster than the metal ones, rendering the phenolic spacers a little bit useless, though, I'm sure there's a difference of at least a couple degrees -- It all depends on how hard you're running and under what conditions.

Me personally, I'd love to run the 8mm, but I hear there's fitment issues with the hood/TMIC afterward. . .

• Moderators
Honestly, they're intended for the STi-style metal intake manis...Me personally, I'd love to run the 8mm, but I hear there's fitment issues with the hood/TMIC afterward. . .

^^You make no sense :confused: In one breath you say how they're not meant for our cars and then in the next you say you want to run them :lol:

Either way, I looked at it as just doing everything all at once--if I'm going to pull the whole manifold, swap TGVs, etc, I may as well throw in some little spacers, lol. Plus, the TGVs are still metal and I don't see how they could possibly hurt (the 3mm at least, 8mm might have fitment issues that you mention).

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Thanks for the help guys. I'm probably going to stick with the stock inlet. No plans on changing turbos anytime soon and the inlet that's on there looks pretty saturated with oil. Hopefully the replacement lasts another 90k.

Smart choice.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

^^You make no sense :confused: In one breath you say how they're not meant for our cars and then in the next you say you want to run them :lol:

Either way, I looked at it as just doing everything all at once--if I'm going to pull the whole manifold, swap TGVs, etc, I may as well throw in some little spacers, lol. Plus, the TGVs are still metal and I don't see how they could possibly hurt (the 3mm at least, 8mm might have fitment issues that you mention).

Well, like I said -- They're meant for the metal intakes that have heat issues, whereas our plastic manis don't retain heat the same way. So while the evidence seems a bit anecdotal, I don't see a specific need for them in an LGT application, as they were designed to mitigate heat from the metal intakes, not the plastic. That said, it can't hurt to run them anyway, as they won't be of no benefit, it just won't be as profound as in other applications, which is why I'd choose to run them myself.

Archived