LegacyGT.com

DeatschWerks DW300 fuel pump install

• 1 year later...
I was looking to possibly install my DW300 today and since I bought the pump off another member I had to purchase a replacement filter separately from DW. I was looking at everything over and in the filter package, there is also this metal ring that I have no idea what is for. Anyone have any thoughts?

Capture.JPG.f2f80cc31b7428cd8f8d239cb690d912.JPG

Thank you! Right as I saw your post I had found a vid on their site. Its called a Stayclip for any of those that might not know. I had no idea what to call it.

Throwing this up for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f36_QV7pjwY&feature

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Edited by jojorios
Added Link

Install went good. Just some things I wanted to add from my experience. My gas light was on so I was way under a 1/4 tank left..

Once I the bracket off and began pulling out the fuel pump housing, I hung it over the opening for a bit until I heard the gas stop draining from the housing. I barely had any drops of fuel during removal.

I had a serious :ohhh: moment. When putting the housing back in, the lever snapped off. I got it out of the fuel tank and luckily nothing broke. I followed Rutchard's pics for reference of it's location and found the hole the lever's end goes into. There's a little section in the white plastic that lever also snaps into shortly after that for orientation. I didn't think of taking a picture of this until I was already driving around.

When I went to put it back in it happened again. I had to slightly turn the fuel pump housing as I was lowering it back into the tank so the lever wouldn't keep hitting the top of the tank.

Install took maybe an hour.

Edited by jojorios

Good write up! Wish i had this when i put in the dw65c a while back, though for never doing one previously, it was pretty simple to figure out. I did have a slight fitment issue with the 65c, dunno if anyone else had to slightly trim it to fit in the housing.

Injectors tips for install I guess: Just make sure you get the plugnplay kits (got them with my ID1000cc's), they can pretty much only go in one way so can't really mess it up haha. Make sure to lube the O-rings, you'll have to take off the little cover on the bottom to get to the two orings underneath, then you can put that cover/cap back on and install it. The hardest part wasn't getting the injectors on/off, but getting the manifold, lines, etc. back on after...that took my friend and I the longest time. Subaru just puts everything in ridiculous spots, clamps upside, stuff along those lines that make the process take longer. I also opted not to put the injector covers back on cause they're not really necessary and was a pain to get to and off..could only imagine them going back on would have sucked. I do have some video I believe on our Youtube channel, dunno if that would help anyone get the basic idea or not if you wanted to do this yourselves. Also, as mentioned, the chargepipe will probably have to be removed just for easier access, and for that I also removed the right radiator fan to slide the pipe out (dunno if that was necessary or not, just made it easier). If anyone has questions on injector stuff I can try and help out, but it was honestly not that bad at all, manifold and getting the fuel rails/lines back on and tightening some bolts took the longest time. Good time to get some free power by doing tgv deletes, you're gunna be right there ;] Also good to keep in mind, probably look to get new mani o-rings, possibly tgv gaskets if they come off too.

• 1 year later...

Ugh, yeah, photobucket screwed everything up. I was in the process of backing everything up last week and I got sidetracked. I'll try and get the photos for this rehosted somewhere soon.

Here's a link to the whole set of photos on Flickr for now DeatschWerks DW300 Fuel Pump

• 4 years later...

So my build is named "The Hard Way" for a reason...I tried to do this install today and found the new inner assembly/fuel filter that I got from the dealer was an incorrect part, it looks correct but only has two fuel ports, not three like in the existing unit.

I decided since I was halfway there, I would reuse the existing one an repeat the whole process in a few months after I got the correct part. This was a mistake. For the life of my I could not get the plastic retained to fit over the DW300 unit. I tried everything, reusing the using the stock gasket, trying 3-2-1 of the supplied o-rings instead, I simply could not get the plastic retainer on.

I am a little upset about the whole process, hoping that when I get the new fuel filter assembly the pump will go on without problems. I should be able to dry fit it first, before pulling the existing fuel pump...wish me luck!

OK, so just to make things even more convoluted, I double checked the part number the dealer provided and it seems to be correct. The lack of a third fuel connection also seems to be correct, but clearly the car in this thread and my own car has a housing with three ports...

OK, after lots of searching this forum and speaking with the dealer parts desk:

1) There are a few mentions of others needing to take a Dremel tool to the plastic fuel pump retainer for the DW300 to fit. Hopefully the OP can make a note of this in his original post for future do-dos like me who have a low common sense level.

2) The dealer is not sure what the issue is, has never been asked to order this part before even for their service department. The service manual does show a filter housing with three fuel ports, but Subaru's parts look-up shows one with two fuel ports.

I am likely just going to reuse the existing fuel filter until I can source a replacement that I know 100% will work.

42072AJ070 Is the correct part number for my 10 LGT. I didn't dremel the car to get the retaining ring out, but rather just used a screwdriver and gave the car a mild pry against the retaining bracket. The metal just above the bracket bent pretty easily then it was easy to get out.

• 10 months later...

So I got back to this after sidelining it because of the filter housing issue. I have the correct filter housing now, but still cannot get the plastic bracket (    42055SC000) to clip into place over the fuel pump. I dremel'd the hell out of it, but am not comfortable removing any more material. The only remaining option I have is to either cut the nipple off of the pump, or dremel the bottom of it.

I am not keen on either of these, I even checked DW's technical datasheet to confirm that the pump is within the dimensions it should be. At this point I have new filter housing and bracket from the dealer and still has significant fitment issues.

Frustrating! The only remaining thing I can do is dremel the notches in the plastic bracket so that they engage earlier, but that seems like playing with fire.

On 2/12/2023 at 6:00 PM, motorbreath said:

So I got back to this after sidelining it because of the filter housing issue. I have the correct filter housing now, but still cannot get the plastic bracket (    42055SC000) to clip into place over the fuel pump. I dremel'd the hell out of it, but am not comfortable removing any more material. The only remaining option I have is to either cut the nipple off of the pump, or dremel the bottom of it.

I am not keen on either of these, I even checked DW's technical datasheet to confirm that the pump is within the dimensions it should be. At this point I have new filter housing and bracket from the dealer and still has significant fitment issues.

Frustrating! The only remaining thing I can do is dremel the notches in the plastic bracket so that they engage earlier, but that seems like playing with fire.

This is what I had to do for a DW200, it is probably similar for DW300.

Thanks, using a DW200 might be a good solution for me since I really will not need the flowrate that a DW300 can provide. Please see the attached image, nothing much to grind away on the DW300, but from the pictures I have seen of the DW200 there should be plenty that can be removed from it.

So I guess I'll order a DW200 kit and give it a shot, see if I can sell the DW300.

PXL_20230215_223955133.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just an update on this, took me a while to get a DW200, which is almost exactly the same shape as the DW300. It is shorter by at least 1mm, but this is not enough to fit it into the fuel filter assembly, even with modification of the retainer bracket.

Since I am not really making enough power to justify either of these, I'll have to find an OEM fuel pump so I can go ahead with the fuel filter replacement (while I'm in there, might as well replace the fuel pump since it as 120k on it).

I think this thread should be updated to reflect that both the DW200 and DW300 fuel pumps are no compatible with 5th gens. I am going to contact DW about this, since they have clearly changed their pump packaging so that it is no longer compatible, but they have not updated their product literature.