LegacyGT.com

Official 3.6R Mod List

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think your finished product is gonna be very nice.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

And, my wife complains about my three sets.

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

I got some non believer's about the power the tune will put out.

I get a lot of

"No way will you get 30-40 hp and 100 ft lbs of torque! Not just from upgrading the gas, a tune and headers/midpipe"

I can't wait to prove them wrong this summer. That and to have more fun converting my tourer into a sports sedan.

Edited by Golferdude1087

100 tq is a lot to ask.

Perscitus, what are you at? 60 wtq???

You will definitely do the 30hp. Biggest gains are going to be at the intersection of hp/tq

On a good day ~40-45hp and perhaps ~80ft-lbf wtq (catted!).

The average torque between say 2K - 5.5K RPM: ~280ft-lbf wtq.

At the 5.25K RPM intersection, she's making ~294-297bhp (206-209whp on DynoDynamics in Shoot44) and ~265ft-lbf wtq.

On a bad day (high ambient >90F and intake temps >140F; poor fuel, FKC/FLKC pulled IAM), peak numbers are down quite a bit.

At the 5.25K RPM intersection, she's making ~294-297bhp (206-209whp on DynoDynamics in Shoot44) and ~265ft-lbf wtq.

My new car which I'm picking up the 29th claims to have 302hp (@6500rpm) and 273ft-lbs (@3500-5250rpm). I'll bring it to Rob and see what it's really getting. His website already lists a tune for it that gains 25hp & 30ft-lbs.

Since I'm leasing the vehicle though, I'm probably not going to be doing any mods to it.

wheels and tires are easy. sell them if you end up returning the lease.

100 tq is a lot to ask.

Perscitus, what are you at? 60 wtq???

You will definitely do the 30hp. Biggest gains are going to be at the intersection of hp/tq

I should have clarified to say BHP/BTQ because that's what everyone seems to normally want to look at.

Still 30-40 whp and 60-70 wtq is still a huge bump.

I still am playing tag with Rob about the headers, I think I will nickname him Bigfoot or Lockness because their are legends of him existing but the proof is very rare as hes never around.

Perscitus, I ordered the sway bars from Subaru Online Parts which seem to direct me to Grand Prix Subaru in NY, any idea how long their processing is to order parts?

Edited by Golferdude1087
too early to properly convey ideas

Should be relatively quick. I think you can direct Subaru Online Parts to a number of dealerships. Sometimes the ones in NJ or OH seem to have even lower prices.

Coming back to the topic of BHP/BTQ vs WHP/WTQ - it doesn't really matter which one you quote or what a given dyno is reporting the car is putting down (or approximating what the @thecrank numbers should be) - the net gain is really all that matters.

So say on Dyno 1 your car puts down 150whp stock and after the mechanical upgrades/tune, on the same dyno with similar/same conditions and settings it puts down 190-200whp. The net gain of 40-50whp is all that matters.

On Dyno 2 your stock car might put down 200whp stock and everything else being equal should probably put down 240-250whp (same net gain) with the mechanical changes and tune.

The net gain will have a approximately same effect on both whp/wtq and bhp/btq.

So it doesn't really matter which one you quote, and ideally all that's really needed is the net gain or % gain (vs. stock).

Next comes the power to weight ratio which is also key and of course our dreaded drivetrain loss (thx 5EAT, thx SAWD) which isn't fixed or even linear (increases with RPM and velocity) and robs us of at least 25 and more typically 30%!

A similarly equipped 6MT 5th gen will usually 'suffer' only 19-21% combined drivetrain losses.

Which means that in a back to back scenario, in order for a 5EAT or CVT equipped Subaru to put down the same whp/wtq #s as those from an equally equipped 6MT, the 5EAT/CVT car would need to produce ~13-14% more power at the crank... loosing more of it along the way to the wheels - resulting in a similar/equal whp/wtq output.

Part of the reason why 5EAT equipped Legacy GTs (4th and 5th gen) and HT-CVT equipped Legacy DITs (5th gen), 2015+ WRXs/Levorgs typically put down far lower whp/wtq numbers vs equivalent 6MT cars.... meanwhile their output at the crank might actually be same or potentially higher (say at Stage 2 and beyond).

So for us to equal the 265hp/258tq 6M LGT we would need to put 300-305hp/290-294tq at the crank?

can we pinpoint specifically what place or places where the greatest loss occurs? and if so is

there anyway to alleviate that?

The manual apparently has significantly less loss but if its a direct bolt on there must be something else causing it, maybe something where we can modify components and create less friction? (Outside of the LWCP)

Edited by Golferdude1087

^^^ dont go there...

Learn to live with the 5eat

^^^ dont go there... Learn to live with the 5eat
This! Its a slippery slope with exponentially diminishing returns that will cost more $$$ than its worth, especially for a DD car.

Luckily our engines and the FA20DIT can produce enough low and mid-range torque to make the 5EAT or HT-CVT perfectly acceptable for DD duty.

Roof rail deletes 90% done. Fenders rolled. Wheels mounted.

Can't wait to get the exhaust on next week and finish this tune!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/19/c737ee1018d5158f732a9e30998c0b21.jpg

looks awesome. is this a 3.6R?

This! Its a slippery slope with exponentially diminishing returns that will cost more $$$ than its worth, especially for a DD car.

Luckily our engines and the FA20DIT can produce enough low and mid-range torque to make the 5EAT or HT-CVT perfectly acceptable for DD duty.

I wish the world wasn't going all automatic, 10-15 years ago I bet this car comes in both a 5 speed automatic or a 5/6 speed manual. (Yes I know the H6 was introduced into the outbacks in 2001 and legacy in 2009 but in 09 they had both the GT and Spec B for fun)

I was looking on Raptor Supercharges website and came across the 3.0 RAM AIR kit, I am curious, anyone know if they are working on a kit for the 3.6R or if the 3.0 kit can be modified to fit our cars?

Edited by Golferdude1087

looks awesome. is this a 3.6R?

Of course it is! That's why I posted it in the 3.6R thread :p

Better shot from today...

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/21/95da3d57a660fe4ada04c71314c8070d.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/21/77a54fc4a5baabe2506ad6209c2ca56c.jpg

Edited by cannondalemtb

I associate myself more with the lgt crowd than the outback crowd. Partially because they're boring and think it's a sin to remove useless roof racks. And partially because I've been around since I owned my unicorn, an 05 legacy gt limited wagon (manual, swp on black, hta68, fmic, etc).

I associate myself more with the lgt crowd than the outback crowd. Partially because they're boring and think it's a sin to remove useless roof racks. And partially because I've been around since I owned my unicorn, an 05 legacy gt limited wagon (manual, swp on black, hta68, fmic, etc).

I had an outback for the better part of a decade (hand me down) and I never once used the roof rack, the cars so spacious inside that nearly anything I needed could be put inside the car.

And thats such a rare car! I wanted one of those for many years because I wanted the LGT power without the raised frame of the outback. They sadly made them for only 1 year I believe.

Of course it is! That's why I posted it in the 3.6R thread :p

Better shot from today...

GGM crew! I personally like the look of the roof rails. If I went for the full cladding delete, I might think otherwise. Haven't messed with her in months... But still dreaming on some changes.

15910163844_21be55a74b_c.jpg

Subaru Outback - Experimenting with light painting by Mark Ocampo, on Flickr

We have a local guy doing the same thing to his Outback....here he is at the last meet up........I am not a wagon fan, but it does look good ;)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/RM-RS/8_zpsenzfjhr9.jpg