LegacyGT.com

New cat back on the market?

I've heard Corsa Performance is toying with the idea of bringing out a cat back for the 4th gen LGT, among other Subarus. I checked out their website but didn't find anything about it.

The thought of no drone has me sold though...

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The cat's out of the bag I suppose... people have put two and two together (probably from my posts in the "What did you do to your 4th gen today" thread) and realize I work for Corsa Performance Exhausts.

Below is a not Corsa official acoustic prototype cat back exhaust on my 5mt 06 LGT. A friend put that together the other night when I was giving him an "acoustic tour" showing him how well the exhaust works under various driving conditions. The car really does sound like that in person and I can assure you, like all other Corsa products, is very quiet in the cabin until you don't want it to be. ;)

To give you some idea how quiet it is around town, with the windows up and the radio at a moderate level (my girlfriend was in the car and we were having a conversation), I thought my car had stalled at a light without my noticing. Since putting the prototype on my car, I've started listening to the radio at lower and lower volumes not because I want to hear the exhaust, but because I don't need to turn the radio up to drown out the drone. I haven't personally seen any exhausts out that have this configuration either - 3" mid pipe to a Y split in the rear to dual 3" - yes, each muffler has an unbaffled, unrestricted 3" tube running through it. If there's enough demand, I'll make a video at work of me dropping a pool cue ball through the donut flange and have it roll out one of the tips. You won't find another exhaust this free-flowing without having straight pipes and those drone... ask me how I know. ;)

Corsa advertises the exhaust design to be drone free not only at cruise, but under all driving conditions - even accelerating in top gear to pass on the highway - and in my experience, we are the only company to deliver on that. :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFyzTrMb-2I]Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 Custom Exhaust - YouTube[/ame]

Corsa is unlike any other manufacturer on the market that sells their exhaust as "drone free" or "no drone." Our mufflers are application specific even if the cars appear to be the same or have the same engine. We have different prototype mufflers for the EJ257 and EJ255 engines, for example. We even have different mufflers for automatic and manual transmission cars such as the newer Camaros, because the cars have different acoustic needs.

Unlike other manufacturers who grab a muffler that has the desired inlet/outlet configuration or the biggest one they can fit in the cavity or the proper tube size, Corsa designs body/engine/transmission/wheel base/tip cutout specific mufflers and exhaust systems so you can rest assured that the kit you buy is going to perform, sound, and fit as advertised.

We are currently working on a slew (or half of that, whatever it is) Subaru products including the 3rd gen hatch and sedan STI and WRX, the 4th gen LGT sedan (sedan only for now, I'm personally pushing for a wagon option), and the BRZ is to follow. We're also looking into the 2nd gen STI and WRX, but it's not on the to-do list at this time. ETA to market is unknown, but I can tell you maybe 2 months, probably more. We want to have an entire lineup to offer to distributors before we bring any to the market.

I can't really discuss pricing right now because we haven't decided on what type of stainless, welding, and tip options we're going with, but I can say it will be towards the higher end of the market... think Stromung prices. These will most likely (if not 100% sure) be slip fit/expanded connections with stainless steel Torca clamps and will NOT have flanged or v-band connections for the different sections. The only flange in the kit will be at the downpipe/cat back mate point. Slip fit connections have more adjustment options than flanges and v-band connections allowing the end user to dial in the fit to their liking.

Archived