LegacyGT.com

warming up the subi?

Does anyone warm up their 2nd gen? When i start mine is idles at 1.5k just like the rest of us, and i let mine go down to about 1k before driving. I wont go above 3k till my car is warm though.

Am i the only one that does this?:confused:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I let mine warm up - at least in the winter. Especially when it's cold out, I get a fairly loud ticking (stupid piston ring slap) until it warms up, and it also starts out at like 1600. I like to let it come down to at least 13-1400, which is like at least a minute. Gives those rings at least a chance to expand a little. Also when I do drive, I shift into neutral first (auto FTL) and wait those 5 seconds for the RPMs to slow down so it doesn't slam into 1st gear. And I always start off slow cause it's fun to hear the tranny whine the first time you start moving, lol, CHARGING PRIMARY WEAPONS!

I let my car warm up for 10 to 20 minutes during the fall, winter, and spring but I don't think it is necessary during the summer. By the time I get into my car to drive it it's usually fully warmed up and I'm not cautious about accelerating. I live like 2 min away from the highway into town so I don't have a choice in the morning to not get it above a certain RPM rate.

If it's cold and you want heat, let the car warm up while you eat your Cheerios. Other than that, there's really no reason to do it. That's not to say I'd redline the thing between stop signs as soon as you pull out of the driveway, but the car was engineered to be driven in all weather conditions.

I let my car warm up for 10 to 20 minutes during the fall, winter, and spring but I don't think it is necessary during the summer. By the time I get into my car to drive it it's usually fully warmed up and I'm not cautious about accelerating. I live like 2 min away from the highway into town so I don't have a choice in the morning to not get it above a certain RPM rate.

20 minute warm up? why?

It's good to let the oil viscosity change before you drive. I don't think a complete warm up is needed but, at least wait till the oil gets into all the nooks and cranies. Kinda like when you spread butter on your English muffin.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

ill let mine warm for five, sometimes ten. It just makes too many weird noises when its cold and it impossible to shift without the motor idling high and riding the clutch.

Mine is the same way

I live in canada and if i dont plug my car in in -15c celsius or 5 farenheit

shit idles at 2400 sounds like a plane coming out of the sky to kill us all.

so i plug my car in, and even then it revs to 1500 and I dont drive until it warms up to around 900rpm.

my car has a frosting issue due to cracked winsheild so by the time i scrape the windows clear im good to go =)

the main reasons motors should warm up is because of the properties of the metals. you all know that motor are made of both steel and aluminum. well if anyone remembers school you would know that aluminum(when under heat) will expand quicker then steel being heated. meaning that for awhile you pistons and and all that are riding more lose on the piston pins and what not. so i guess if it was bad enough a pin could slip out maybe. wait no. that are pressed into the piston and the steel conencting rod. so thats not a problem..

idk. just a little science

Scoobydoobie 20 minutes because my dad starts all 3 cars in the morning at 7:00 and I leave at a different time just about every morning. So somtimes it runs for almost a half an hour...

Sounds like a waste of gas to me. Why does your dad have to start your car up for you?

I'll only warm up the engine for comfort reasons (pre-warming in cold weather).

I read years ago that modern engines only require about 10-20 *seconds* before you can drive off. That's all they need for oil to *fully* circulate and protect the engine.

That said, I will usually wait for RPM's to drop just a *bit* before driving off...usually. :)

I usually let my engine get up to 75° before driving. Then keep shift at 2500 to 2700. In the winter time it usually takes a minute or two to get up to 75°. In the summer it takes a few seconds generally.

Scoobydoobie, because he has to start his truck and my mom's suburban so why not do them all at once? And it doesn't waste much gas to be honest with you. It doesn't run for 20 minutes or more every single day.

It has yet to harm them in any way, shape or form. My mom's Yukon XL has almost 200,000 miles on it and that is how much it has always warmed up since we got it with 30,000 miles. I don't see the bad. And note that I did say they DON'T always idle for that long. Normally it is inbetween 10-15 minutes. I was just offering what my family does with our cars in the winter time because Subikid asked the question on this forum. I was not looking to get into an argument because I let my car warm up for 20 or more minutes sometimes.

I agree with a few of you in that I only let it warm up for comfort reasons.

It has been said for a long time that the faster you can get everything warmed up in a fairly gentle manner(no redlining), the better. The less time your engine spends NOT at it's optimal operating temp, the better off it will be.

Also, by driving soon after you start it, everything warms up at the same speed(ie: tranny fluid, diff fluids, CV joint grease, clutch and brake fluids, brakes, etc.). Letting the car warm up for 10+ minutes may give you the impression that you can get in after it's all warmed up and begin to drive as if you've been driving for an hour, but in reality, everything but your engine is still cold.

Unfortunately, most people now-a-days don't keep their cars long enough for the benefits/drawbacks of either option to be realized anyway :)

I let it warm up enough that I know everything is lubricated, oil has thinned a bit, rings have expanded and tolerances have gone down. But warming it up all the way is pointless. I have to start out by driving up a pretty steep hill, so sometimes in the winter when it is really snowy I'll let it warm up a bit more before I beat on it getting up the hill.

Archived