LegacyGT.com

19mm rear sway bar install

Guest rayms69

Does anyone know what the torque specs for bushings and end links are? Looking to do this install soon.

Sway Bar:

14mm Endlink 24.3lb/ft

12mm Clamp 28.0lb/ft

5mm hex bolt

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can try flipping it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried putting it in both ways (bump up, bump down) and still no joy. I'm about ready to pull the mufflers off to give me a little more room to maneuver the bar into place. It's getting caught on the mating flange on the muffler, and makes it so I can't pivot the end link connection point into place.

Finally got the Whiteline installed. Jacked up the passenger side of the car and was able to get enough clearance to get the bar into position. Lowered it down and torqued everything down.

Well...just finished up installing my 19mm bar. Bought a set of ramps and made life soooo much easier! Took me about 45 minutes but all went without a hiccup.

I thought you already had a bar installed?? I must be thinking of someone else.

19mm is huge improvement. Wait until you start hitting the corners. Much tighter.;)

I bought it but haven't had the time to put it on. Ramps came several weeks ago so made time to get the bar installed and also installed my LED fog bulbs as well. Nothing else I plan on doing to the car at this point so I believe I am done:)

For those in Canada and want to pick up at local store,

20451FG020 $107.73

20464FG020 $8.25

However I just called my local subaru store and they have a counter sale for 15% off right now. I placed the order through the phone and it will take few days to deliver to my door. So after all everything is 98.57 before tax in CAD or 118.25 after 12% tax. Use the currency convert on XE.com it is equivalent to 92.7USD which is cheaper than subarupartsonline.com.

For those in States, subarupartsonline has 10% off after using coupon SOPVIP07, expire date is July 31.

The RSB is mainly stiffing the rear, it is really noticeable on turns. I did not have any swaying or drifting on the highway. I installed the unit because I felt the suspension of a little sloppy and a little body roll on corners. It is a must mod and it is night and day for handling.
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Is the ride firmer with the new RSB?

The springs are unchanged so the ride quality is the same in terms of going over potholes, bumps, etc. Straight line comfort is identical.

What is different is the amount of body roll when you corner - especially if you're being a little more enthusiastic in the corners. ;)

The stiffer sway bar keeps the car sitting flatter when pushed. I notice it particularly on round-abouts.

The standard car has one fitted but the bar they put on is only 16mm diameter. It isn't all that stiff and still allows quite a bit of flex in the rear end.

It's probably a cost saving exercise. They figure the average Legacy driver isn't going to push it too hard so they're probably not going to notice the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please excuse this potentially dumb question from a suspension novice - if the RSB tightens handling without harming the ride, why wouldn't Subaru fit them as standard equipment?

1) The stiffer the anti-roll bar, the less "independent" the suspension becomes.

2) Some degree of understeer (a.k.a. "push") is desirable in a street suspension system under all conditions, both for straight-line stability and near cornering limits. There is quite a bit of understeer designed into the stock Subaru suspension, and a stiffer rear anti-roll bar will reduce that understeer somewhat; the result is slightly more neutral steering response.

3) Subaru uses the same 16 mm rear anti-roll bar on both the Legacy and the Outback, despite the Outback's higher center of gravity. If anything, the Outback's handling on pavement should benefit more from a stiffer rear bar than the Legacy, but the stiffer rear bar may actually hurt suspension performance off-road. See 1) above.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

3.0R-AUS if you like just send me a PM and we can catch up/take my car for a drive around the block to see whether you like how it handles. You only have to hook it into a couple of corners to notice it rides significantly flatter.

The 20mm bar is standard fitment to 2015 WRX/STI: http://www.subaruoeparts.com/oe-subaru/20451va000

1) The stiffer the anti-roll bar, the less "independent" the suspension becomes.

2) Some degree of understeer (a.k.a. "push") is desirable in a street suspension system under all conditions, both for straight-line stability and near cornering limits. There is quite a bit of understeer designed into the stock Subaru suspension, and a stiffer rear anti-roll bar will reduce that understeer somewhat; the result is slightly more neutral steering response.

3) Subaru uses the same 16 mm rear anti-roll bar on both the Legacy and the Outback, despite the Outback's higher center of gravity. If anything, the Outback's handling on pavement should benefit more from a stiffer rear bar than the Legacy, but the stiffer rear bar may actually hurt suspension performance off-road. See 1) above.

Agreed with 1 and 3. Partially agree with 2.

I like a balanced setup on the street as well as the track.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek