LegacyGT.com

Thoughts on Grimmspeed Manual Boost Controller

So I was reading around on different sites and read that 20psi is the max you can go on the stock turbo. The safe zone was anywhere between 12-16? Am I correct on this? I am just curious because I was planning on buying the Grimmspeed manual Boost Controller so I can bump my psi up a bit because right now it is only running about 7-8psi. Let me know your thoughts and what I should do. Thanks!

So I was reading around on different sites and read that 20psi is the max you can go on the stock turbo. The safe zone was anywhere between 12-16? Am I correct on this? I am just curious because I was planning on buying the Grimmspeed manual Boost Controller so I can bump my psi up a bit because right now it is only running about 7-8psi. Let me know your thoughts and what I should do. Thanks!

How do you know you're only hitting 7-8psi?

Stock peaks at 13.5 and around 17-18 the turbo is reaching it's top end. Yes you can push it more, but it's really hard on the tiny squirrel in there.

Something is still wrong. You have a leak somewhere. One does not simply add a MBC and "turn up the wick" in these cars to 20psi :rolleyes:

First find your mechanical issue, then consider a tune and a 3port EBCS (if your tuner prefers that to the 2port EBCS from the factory).

My guess is IAM is down near 0 and the ECU has disabled boost control. 7-8psi should be wastegate pressure on the stock turbo IIRC. Don't do any more full throttle pulls until you get your mechanical issue sorted. You don't need to buy a manual or electronic BCS, you need a mechanical fix, and maybe a tune, depending on what mods you have done.

I dont understand why anyone would use a MBC when the stock, open sourced, ECU has a good Electronic Boost Control functionality with good control strategies. You can buy an E-tune for around $150-250 to get some more power.

Like EVERYONE above has already said, you have another problem, fix that then talk to a tuner about how to proceed with tuning your car.

Archived