LegacyGT.com

Timing Belt Kit Recomendations

Just bought an 05 XT (outback) with 173k km, with no service history. My end goal is to go get a stage 2 tune, not for max power, but a little more responsiveness and better fuel consump. Everything below is what I'm trying to do to get to said goal "properly".

Have read the forums from cover to cover and will be either cleaning or removing the banjo bolt filter, and will be doing the timing belt, water pump, and tensioners.

I have been quoted at some wildly disparate prices:

1) Local parts store, belt, water pump, tensioners, pulleys, camshaft tensioner 350CAD by Daco

2) Another parts store Goodyear kit with same parts 650

3) Subaru Dealership 800 kit + 5 hours Labor

4) Local Mechanic 1000 Kit + 3.5 hours Labor

Can someone recommend a kit, company, and price range that I should be paying for the kit/parts?

Recent things I've done with the car since I got it was:

1) New Clutch

2) New Struts all around

Anything else I should do before going ahead with the stage 2 ?

Thanks

1st off buy this Gates kit from Amazon.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Gates-TCK328-Timing-Belt-Kit/dp/B0033DM4UA/ref=au_as_r?ie=UTF8&Make=Subaru|13&Model=Legacy|64&Year=2005|2005&carId=001&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleType=5]Gates TCK328 Timing Belt Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

Buy a OEM water pump & thermostat should cost about $120-140, I paid $18 w/shipping on ebay for thermo/gskt, you should be able to find the WP there too.

DO NOT by the Gates WP, OEM is the way to go, do some searching for confirmation.

WP OEM # 21111AA240 should come with gasket # 2114AA051

Thermo OEM # 21200AA072

Therm-GSKT OEM# 21236AA010

Where do you live? Find a local reputable Subaru mech, once you post the city someone will chime in. Mine quoted me 3.5 hrs @ $85 per hour. Plus you'll need coolant. 105k is recommended service, you're ready for it. GL

well i been running it for over 40k and im well over 300whp

which should lend to its positive reviews....

where are all these negative reports or experiences with the kevlar belt??

cause i haven't seen any......

aand the water pump that came in the gates kit has worked fine too...

If your concerned you can research it :). You've had no issue's so you can say my opinion's wrong. Most of what I've read was about the blue coming off and adhering to the pulley's, I personally would rather not have that since the pulley is meant to be smooth.

Since everything else in the Gates kit is manufactured by OEM manufactures and the WP is not, I went with the OEM WP, most of what I read regarding failed replaced water pumps were non OEM ones. Again you've had no problems so why worry? Everyone has an opinion I stated mine, the OP needs to do his own research just as I did and come to his own decision.

Why do you feel he needs the Kevlar TB with stage 2 mods? IMO that's more of a waste of money than buying a OEM WP.

Read the walk through on the forums.

I went with the Dayco stuff years ago and did the labor. With coolant and stuff the parts were like $500.

I know have a standard Gates kit but with a new OEM water pump because the gates pump leaked out the weep hole at 20,000.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

+1 gates kit + oem water pump.

the blue belt is not necessary IMHO, unless you're really into color coordination of parts you can't see.

plus there are folks that have had issues with the blue, particularly buildup on the pulleys.

After doing some reading (and thanks JJr for the detailed explanations):

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Stant-48457-XACTStat-Fahrenheit-Thermostat/dp/B001FFY334/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389975870&sr=8-2&keywords=21200AA072#productDetails]Stant 48457 XACTStat 170 Degrees Fahrenheit Thermostat : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

Covers the thermostat and the gasket seems to be on it already, according ot picture and description it already has a "seal" gasket? Can someone please confirm?

+

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Gates-TCK328-Timing-Belt-Kit/dp/B0033DM4UA/]Gates TCK328 Timing Belt Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame] Will cover all tensioners, idlers and timing belt.

+

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/BRAND-NEW-SUBARU-WATER-PUMP/dp/B00F57I9KG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389976333&sr=8-1&keywords=21111AA240]BRAND NEW OEM SUBARU WATER PUMP : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame] Water pump however I can't find the 2114AA051 gasket on amazon. Ebay has it but shipping to Canada is more than the Gasket, so I'll just get that at the Local Subaru dealership.

This is everything I'll need for the job?

Thanks again for all the help.

I'd add subaru coolant and special magic additive (not critical, most coolant is ok but I go with better safe than sorry if you are already going to the dealer).

If you haven't done them recently, its a good time to do upper and lower radiator hoses and new acc belts.

Also consider a new crank pulley.

And just don't do what I did, which was to break off the turbo coolant return line nipple on the radiator while manually cranking the engine.

After doing some reading (and thanks JJr for the detailed explanations):

Stant 48457 XACTStat 170 Degrees Fahrenheit Thermostat : Amazon.com : Automotive

Covers the thermostat and the gasket seems to be on it already, according ot picture and description it already has a "seal" gasket? Can someone please confirm?

+

Gates TCK328 Timing Belt Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive Will cover all tensioners, idlers and timing belt.

+

BRAND NEW OEM SUBARU WATER PUMP : Amazon.com : Automotive Water pump however I can't find the 2114AA051 gasket on amazon. Ebay has it but shipping to Canada is more than the Gasket, so I'll just get that at the Local Subaru dealership.

This is everything I'll need for the job?

Thanks again for all the help.

Double check with Subaru dealer WP may come with the gasket!

Only buy the OEM Subaru thermostat, nothing else, many issues I've read about with aftermarket ones.

Detailed, because I just researched and bought all the parts ready for change in April.

Just ordered the timing belt kit.

Both Subaru dealerships quoted me at this: (CAD $)

262 Pump

3 Gasket

26 Thermostat

4 Gasket.

Total 296.12 + Timing Belt Kit. Seems to be the best price in town for me.

I'vve done some searching and it seems a lot of people are recommending getting the OEM water pump. Crawford perfomance says otherwise and it makes sense, here's the article, check out the question about the water pumps, the middle of the page http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp_1103_subaru_ej_series_engine_tech/crawford_performance.html

Anyone care to comment on this?

Zack K.

I've seen that crawford article. I don't think that really comes into play until you are pushing a ton more horsepower and driving the cars much harder than most dd's.

Think Ken Block.

Besides, a crawford water pump alone will probably cost you as much as a new shortblock from subaru.

I've seen that crawford article. I don't think that really comes into play until you are pushing a ton more horsepower and driving the cars much harder than most dd's.

Think Ken Block.

Besides, a crawford water pump alone will probably cost you as much as a new shortblock from subaru.

Oh, so you think they're talking specifically about a Crawford water pump? NOT just ANY aftermarket water pump like Gates, etc? Didn't know Crawford actually made water pumps.....I'm just trying to figure out why so many people are insisting on OEM pump. I've got 89K on my LGT and starting to source timing belt/other maintenance items when I get close to 100K. Is there really a problem with the blue Gates Racing timing belt rubbing off on pulleys and causing problems?

Thanks, Zack K.

When I did my timing belt I bought the complete gates kit with pump. But after reading more, there were enough posts on here, iwsti, nastysock, talking about replacing pumps after a year or so for leaks, that I sprung for the OEM.

Side by side, the difference in quality was pretty clear (casting, bearing feel, etc). Plus the gates pump had been banging around in the box with all those other timing components on a slow boat from china and had some dings and wear.

Replacing the pump is the same amount of work as a timing belt, not worth risking it IMHO.

Archived