LegacyGT.com

driving through virginia - i-81

thisheregirafFe

hi guys - as the title states i'm taking a road trip from connecticut to pigeon forge, tn and will be driving basically the length of virginia via i-81. i've always heard nightmare stories about podunk police and their love of sticking out of state plates with ridiculous fines. i already know anything over 80 gets you reckless driving and a hefty fine, but is there anything else i should know about VA? i've heard some horror stories and would like to hear from the folks with experience how to deal with driving that stretch...
i can put anything i want down here?!

yeah wasn't planning on speeding... probably even keep it to just 4 or 5 over on cruise control. i was thinking about taking the blue ridge parkway for a good spell when i head back home, but is that usually packed with police too? if i'm not mistaken it's 35 tops there, but i there is now way i could resist diving into some of those sweet, sweet twisties...

• Moderators
yeah wasn't planning on speeding... probably even keep it to just 4 or 5 over on cruise control. i was thinking about taking the blue ridge parkway for a good spell when i head back home, but is that usually packed with police too? if i'm not mistaken it's 35 tops there, but i there is now way i could resist diving into some of those sweet, sweet twisties...

If you're not planning to speed then don't worry about it--you're not gonna get pulled over just for having out of state plates, lol.

Blue ridge parkway is nice, but I think you're right about the limit being 35mph. Cops there are also Federal police, not state / local, so look up the regulations for federal crimes and whatnot if you care.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

you've heard right. nothing to tell you other than stay within 10 mph over the speed limit and you'll probably be fine. Watch out for stretches that slow down when you pass through city areas.

^^ Solid advice. Also watch out for reduced speed limits in construction zones. Anything 20 mph over speed limit in VA can be considered reckless driving which requires you to appear in court...no prepayment. Try to avoid a return trip in a few weeks.

There is a section on I-81 South just after Blacksburg, VA and before Wytheville that always seem to have a lot of state troopers or county sheriffs. They park on on ramps which are very well hidden as you drive south. Definitely take it easy in that section. I've seen over 5-6 different police in that section on any given day.

After Wytheville it usually didn't seem as bad.

Similarly, on I-81 South just south of Roanoke, there are several dedicated congested areas with lower speed limits. These are patrolled heavily as is around Harrisonburg.

tell me moar about the "old days"

where you from?

I went to school at VT and lived in NOVA for many years. I've driven 81 in VA more than I care to admit.

The old days looked a lot like this...

http://cartocars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/1969-dodge-charger-general-lee-from-the-dukes-of-hazzard-movie.jpg

• Moderators

OP, one more thing. If you happen to drive through Madison, VA you need to do two things:

1. Go the speed limit. That doesn't mean go 3mph over, that means go the speed limit or less. The sheriff / lackies there blow goat nuts.

2. Eat at 'Pig and Steak'. Yum :)

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I literally just made this trip and the advice in this thread is great. The speed limit changes frequently from 60 to 65 & 70 for what ever reason. Also, if you do hit the small portion of i81 in west virginia be very careful in the construction zone there.

• 2 weeks later...
phew. made it there and back. 13 hrs. was grueling. gotta say though, virginia doesn't seem to have any concept of a 'passing lane', though not quite as bad as in pennsylvania. up there i think a total of 3 people moved over for me and i was in the state for about 5 hours...

Archived