LegacyGT.com

Where Is The Knock Sensor Located?

Got an 05 Legacy LGT and have been trying to located the knock sensor, but can't find it. I was told that it would be on the left side (driver side) of the engine, but I still can't see it.

My check engine is on due to the knock sensor and I just bought the knock sensor today. I understand that there is only a 12mm bolt holding it down, so should be pretty easy to replace.

Any detail description or pictures would be helpful...thanks.

I had it taken to a local shop and it was reading two codes

Code 1: P0327 (Knock Sensor)

Code 2: P0134 (Oxygen Sensor)

He told me to replace the knock sensor, since it was the first code. The car runs just fine with a slight lost of power from a stop, then the power kicks in. I don't hear any knocking at all. If it doesn't eliminate the engine light, then it must be the oxygen senor.

FWIW the O2 sensors will not last forever. It may not be a bad idea to replace them in the near future. They are easy to get to.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update...

Ok, so the knock sensor is located on top of the block towards the back. It's right under the throttle body. It's visible once you remove the top mount intercooler.

After the replacing the knock sensor the engine light has gone away and hasn't come back after a week now. So it looks like a good fixed.

• 2 months later...

How is everyone managing to get this thing out without removing the IM?

I can't seem to be able to wiggle even my wobbly socket over the bolt that holds the sensor to the block without the throttle body getting in the way. :(

(The vacation pics say simply to remove the TMIC, and then remove the sensor. Yeah right.)

I can't comment on the legacy one, but I changed the knock sensor on my 2.5RS (EJ251), and from the vacation pics, it looks like they're in the same spot. 2.5RS=no turbo=no intercooler to remove, but I did remove the airbox which is in the same spot. I actually had more trouble getting the new one in and threaded than I did getting the old one out.

Here's the thread I followed. I also took the advice of some of the responses, and used a 9" extension.

Archived