LegacyGT.com

Read this for a good laugh

So I have had a couple of issues with my car in the past week. Was almost positive my turbo was on the out (I was wrong luckily) so I went to a Subaru dealer today and they said my VVT was off and that I should flush the oil and immediately switch to regular oil. I laughed in his face and handed him a print out from Subaru which recommended synthetic oil in all turbo cars and kicked myself for throwing $100 down the tubes. That just makes me so confident in our "trusted" dealerships.

Couldn't he have been referring to AVCS and got the acronym wrong?

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't look good to be a Subaru Dealer and call your variable valve timing technology the wrong thing (or tell you need to switch oil types). But in the end all of these systems are designed for more or less the same function, whether it is called VVT, AVCS, VTEC, or VANOS, etc.

Couldn't he have been referring to AVCS and got the acronym wrong?

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't look good to be a Subaru Dealer and call your variable valve timing technology the wrong thing (or tell you need to switch oil types). But in the end all of these systems are designed for more or less the same function, whether it is called VVT, AVCS, VTEC, or VANOS, etc.

I agree with that no harm no foul but I paid $100 to have a Subaru tech do a diag on my car and they tell me to run reg. oil in my turbo vehicle when subaru put out bulletin stating all turbo cars should run synthetic oil it just makes me wanna say go F off and give me my $100 back because pep boys could have given me that answer. It's stuff like this that makes people stop going to dealerships.

I agree with that no harm no foul but I paid $100 to have a Subaru tech do a diag on my car and they tell me to run reg. oil in my turbo vehicle when subaru put out bulletin stating all turbo cars should run synthetic oil it just makes me wanna say go F off and give me my $100 back because pep boys could have given me that answer. It's stuff like this that makes people stop going to dealerships.

Ummm...where did you see a bulletin stating that all turbo engines should run synthetic oil? I work for a Subaru dealer and I have not seen this. :confused:

I like to cook my pets and my family.

Use commas. Don't be a psycho.

Ummm...where did you see a bulletin stating that all turbo engines should run synthetic oil? I work for a Subaru dealer and I have not seen this. :confused:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/06/uzuzeza8.jpg

Oh dang, another Subaru mechanic....may be what your showing there is for the 5th gen's.

FWIW, my OEM turbo went 142,000 miles on the dino oil.

Both my cars are on Amsoil now anyways.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Reading this letter makes me think, as long as I'm using synthetic I'm good for 7500 miles?? (2012 LGT). That's good news, and not what I thought, though reading through the entire owners manual I didn't find anything about 3,500 or 3,750 like I'd been told. Wonder what changed between 2011 and 2012 gt?

Hmmm. Seems to go counter to the recommended oil charts they made to put on the service advisor desks. Starting with MY2011, all turbo engines are required by Subaru to use 5W-30 synthetic oil. 2010 and earlier use conventional oil.

Can you use what you want? Of course. But for warranty purposes, synthetic is only required for 2011 and up turbos per Subaru.

I like to cook my pets and my family.

Use commas. Don't be a psycho.

Oh dang, another Subaru mechanic....may be what your showing there is for the 5th gen's.

FWIW, my OEM turbo went 142,000 miles on the dino oil.

Both my cars are on Amsoil now anyways.

Not me. I would never claim to be a mechanic even though I have a general understand of how everything works. I told my tech at the Benz store I work for who is also a Subaru junkie and he printed that for me. I just like to do my homework and make sure I'm doing the right thing.

Archived