LegacyGT.com

Ideas for making my own full size spare?

rexva

I have an extra tire now due to replacing both front tires at once after one got ruined. I figure since I have the tire and it fits in the wheel well place, under the trunk, I might as well have a full size spare. What's the best way to go about this? Find somebody selling stock wheels? Junkyard? Steelie?

OEM 17s fits near perfect under the sedan trunk cover thing, if you take out the foam thing.

That's how I came up with the idea. I like the foam thing though. I guess maybe I should have been more clear. Where would I get an OEM wheel or a steel wheel for this purpose?

I have an extra tire now due to replacing both front tires at once after one got ruined.

No one else caught this?

You have to check the circumference of your tires between ALL four wheels. NONE of them can differ in circumference by more than 0.25 inches. If so, you must either replace all 4, or you must have the 2 new tires shaved down to match. In addition, ALL 4 tires must be of the same make, model and size.

Consequences of not doing the above is a destroyed center differential.

spares are only meant to be temporary. depends on how bad the wear difference is but I imagine a full size worn tire is better than a donut of any sort. you're supposed to get to a tire shop asap. also keep the temporary tire mounted in the front, at least on my LGT due to the open diff being up front.

No one else caught this?

You have to check the circumference of your tires between ALL four wheels. NONE of them can differ in circumference by more than 0.25 inches. If so, you must either replace all 4, or you must have the 2 new tires shaved down to match. In addition, ALL 4 tires must be of the same make, model and size.

Consequences of not doing the above is a destroyed center differential.

Tires were under a year old, maybe 8k miles on them, supposedly 60k mile tires so I figured the wear difference would not be that bad. Obviously I got the same make and model...

Archived