LegacyGT.com

Pressure washed the engine yesterday(Now i know i wasn't suppose to) Car runs lbad

So i did degreased the engine another day, and it was burning that stuff, so i decided to wash the engine bay yesterday. Got car warmed up for about 3-4 minutes and pressure washed it. I covered alternator and battery. Car was running fine that night, nothing strange. Today car started fine as well, but after i drove 10 miles it become real rough.... turbo will spool but feels like there is no turbo, also when i rev the engine to 3000 RPM i hear like gurgling noise, sounds like tapping, but only at 3 K, it goes almost away when i do 4-5 K.

I don't know what got wet, but i was driving today at least 40 miles , and it seems like it will go away for a while, runs better, and then it will run like it has no turbo at all.

Don't tell me i'm dumb that i pressure washed it, i already know my mistake.

Thanks for any help

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure I can help, but thoughts out of my head would be;

What do you mean by degreased the engine? What stuff did you use - and where?

Won't dwell on why you pressure washed (or why you warmed it up prior) ... but how badly did you pressure wash? Meaning were you being careful or directed force right onto parts? Did any clamps come loose? Did water get forced into the turbo? air intake? ecu?

Pictures of my rides;

2001 Honda Civic LX 4dr old whip[/url]

Current Wagon

Check everything for leaks and that it's all plugged in. Also check your fuse box.

It could also just be a coincidence. How many miles are on it?

What pressure did you use? What head type?

Check your coil pack connectors to make sure they are dry internally, as well as any of the electronic plugs.

Well i used can of engine degreaseer from autozone. Than i went to carwash and washed it really well, i mean i overplayed i think. Just wasn't thinking yesterday, now i freaking out .... maybe i just pull all the connectors and let them dry out overnight, and do the same with coil packs.:mad:

Did mine recently, but didn't use pressure washer. Just degreaser and hose. Didn't saturate the engine bay, just enough to wash degreaser and muck off. I ensured I covered alternator and Intake Filter. The only thing I got afterwards was belt squeel on start-up. I remedied that with some belt dressing spray. I saw you said you warmed car. Was turbo still hot? do you have a heat shield? Just curious. Wetting a hot turbo can't be good....I think..Hope you get it resolved though.

some degreasers i use for many many things will eat electrical right up. i mean it'll eat threw rubber and to the wires, cause corrosion etc so you have to be very careful when washing an engine bay. make sure all of your vacuum lines are connected, you may have blown one of them off when pressure washing the engine bay.

Also check the T-fitting under the intercooler.

It sounds likes your car is in limp mode because of a post-MAF leak. My money is that you broke or dislodged a boost line or the throttle body hose or turbo inlet (or blew a hole in one). The inlet tube is a usual suspect on the '05s by now due to age and the coolant/oil building up over time from small leaks and dissolving the plastic. It still is the best replacement inlet though...

UPdate:

Cleaned all connections, dried them up, replaced spark plugs, checked for any loose connection, intercooler, vacuum lines. After replacing spark plugs i'we noticed idle is much better. BUT BUT BUT it still same freaking problem, turbo will spool a bit and than cuts off then will spool and cuts off. Feels like you driving the car and someone pulls you from the back. Also there is still noise present (sounds like piston slap) but it will be present, than will go away, then when i rev the car to 2-3 K it will come back.

.... I'm pissed, spend 4 hours trying to track down what's going on, but still no luck.

I wish i knew someone in Rockies area or Denver who can help me out, i mean not for free, but i can pay not much too.

Thanks

It sounds and act pretty much like this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umwYQTn7Fyc&feature=related]Knocking sound - YouTube[/ame]

But, it happened after pressure wash, i didn't launch car hard today, just drove it regulary. I hope it is just a bad timing or still some water in electrical system.

it will spool for a 2 sec and that cuts off, well i'm pretty sure that engine is done, i will test it today, but i think i need shortblock or so.
and you came to the conclusion how? i think you need to connect a laptop with a tactrix or vagcom cable and see if there are any codes there. and also do a log while driving.

That's what I was thinking, that you took in water through the intake.

There are tons of good people & shops in CO. Tackle it systematically and don't beat yourself up too much. Post in your regional forum and call in the pros if needed.

The problem is i have to drive 75+ miles to get to Arvada, i have the feeling that i'm not going to make that far :(

Ask him questions I'm sure he would be more than willing to trouble shoot with you.

Priorities change when car parts come into the equation

Archived