LegacyGT.com

Yellow Laminex Covers or Yellow Fog Light Bulbs

NavigatorsLegacy

On fog lights for fifth gen....

Want a nice yellow color only for fog lights. Whose done this mod?

In my research I came across some options...

Which is better? PIAA H11 PLASMA ION YELLOW 55=110W bulbs or

Yellow Laminex covers over stock OEM fog light bulbs?

or...are there better options still?

Opinions/suggestions?

Both. That way when they are off they look yellow. When they are on, they have a true yellow color to them. I have just the laminex on mine and look killer during the daylight. At night, they kind of have a washed out yellow look to them but still better than white.

Just put the yellow bulbs in for a more OEM, classy look.

The overlays make the front end stand out more, and look more aftermarket. Depends on what you want.

I have those PIAA lights now, unless you can find them for a screaming deal online or something, they are overpriced. Save your money and buy some Eurolites or something. They all basically throw the same light onto the ground.

I have those PIAA lights now, unless you can find them for a screaming deal online or something, they are overpriced.

How much did you pay for them? I see them on Amazon for $50.

These are pics of my fogs with the Laminex on them. The second pic kind of gives you an idea of what they look like against 6000K HID's

363531240_photo(4).JPG.ddcd14c17c51839b61bc036a4e2aabf0.JPG

834789695_photo(3).JPG.34622ce2a8f3dc1c73d81af933fecee9.JPG

I paid about 40 bucks but I know the guys who run an auto parts store and they gave me 60% off becuase they hadn't sold a set in a long time...

The retail on them was over 100 bucks CAN$. They were the Japanese version though... imported.

I stand by my opinion that they are way too expensive unless you can get them for a huge discount.

go with hoen fog bulbs! i got them for mine and its a true yellow while keeping your lens clear when off. i had a bulb/film combo and wasn't happy with it. plus the film burnt. if you like my avatar lights then hoens should be your choice. and they're only about $45 shipped

go with hoen fog bulbs! i got them for mine and its a true yellow while keeping your lens clear when off. i had a bulb/film combo and wasn't happy with it. plus the film burnt. if you like my avatar lights then hoens should be your choice. and they're only about $45 shipped

Those look good in might have to get a set.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

i did some intense research and after looking through some forums, somebody suggested them and said how good they were. so i gave them a try and i couldn't have been happier. they're just as yellow (not as bright) as hid's and just a simple plug in. i had piaa plasma ion yellow before this and was really disappointed. trust me, the only thing "yellower" would be orange lol. since they dont have the specific fit for subaru, a VW GTI runs the same bulb

Saw pic in your Avatar...nice! Are those just the halogen bulbs or do you have

an HID fog light kit? Also you mentioned the film burnt...was it Laminex?

Has anyone else experienced that? That is crazy! I wouldn't want anything

To melt on my Subaru!

I have a 2011 Legacy 2.5i...I think the size bulb is H11. Is that the same size

As yours? Any info would help!

Somewhat relative... I installed the laminix covers on my wifes '07 Fozzy and they burnt the first winter. I think we had winter mountain road sludge build up that helped retain too much heat behind the film - nice brown spots on both.

stock wattage (actually stock bulbs in that car)

I run Hella yellowstar bulbs (~$6ea) in my Leggy fogs - looks good (pretty yellow) and throws an obviously yellow light compared to the headlights, esp on snowy roads. sorry no pics...

I run Hella yellowstar bulbs (~$6ea) in my Leggy fogs - looks good (pretty yellow) and throws an obviously yellow light compared to the headlights, esp on snowy roads. sorry no pics...

Damn, might be a good option because of the price. Can you take pic(s) so we can see what they look like?

Found them on Amazon. Seems at that price they are 55w bulbs and for a couple more $ you can get the 110w

55w

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-HLA-H83135061-12V-Yellow-Star/dp/B000COBLG6]HELLA HLA-H83135061: H3 12V 55W Yellow Star : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

110w

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-HLA-H83135121-110W-Yellow-Star/dp/B000H0QRXW]HELLA HLA-H83135121: H3 12V 110W Yellow Star Off Road Use : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

^^^ no. bad reviews all over amazon. you get what you pay for. take my word... "hoen." a everyone that asked me about them thought i was running hid's. and for $40 you cant complain. i already wasted $90 on piaa's, $20 on film, and $25 on lens paint which i didnt use because it's irreversible. i could've saved $100 if i knew about these in the first place. just trying to help ;) i went through the same thing

^^^ no. bad reviews all over amazon. you get what you pay for. take my word... "hoen." a everyone that asked me about them thought i was running hid's. and for $40 you cant complain. i already wasted $90 on piaa's, $20 on film, and $25 on lens paint which i didnt use because it's irreversible. i could've saved $100 if i knew about these in the first place. just trying to help ;) i went through the same thing

Thanks for the heads up, didn't even think about looking at the reviews. I just seen the name Hella so I figured it was still a good brand. I read a few reviews and most of their stuff is being made in India and the quality just isn't there anymore.

hoen, sure give 'em a shot.

I've personally run the Hellas for years. No issues, and for the cost how could you go wrong. It 'costs' me more in time to replace the bulbs than they cost - :D

I'l try to grab a pic tonight in the dark. probably not as yella as Brett's, but yella nontheless

Just don't waste $90 on ANY light bulbs... rediculous.

"nothing bad comes out of Germany"? haha

:lol:

My main project vehicle is an '85 VW Westfalia (camper van) so I'm too familiar with german design (albeit 27yrs old - haha)

Of course I installed Subaru engine ('92 EJ22) - the stock Vanagon motor left much to be desired.... especially here at altitude

The body is still super tight though. Still pops your ears when the door is closed. Germans really do chassis design very well.

Somewhat relative... I installed the laminix covers on my wifes '07 Fozzy and they burnt the first winter. I think we had winter mountain road sludge build up that helped retain too much heat behind the film - nice brown spots on both.

stock wattage (actually stock bulbs in that car)

After reading your post I had to ask the Lamin-x

Company about this burning dilemma:

Here's the email I got:

"Good morning and thank you for your email. The adhesive on the film can burn if the fog lights are left on for a long period of time while the vehicle is not in motion. The air flow from when the vehicle is moving keeps the film cool. We typically see problems with Honda and Acura fog lights as they tend to be smaller and hotter but if you do order some and they do happen to burn they are covered under warranty for 5 years. You would need to send a photo of it to us and we will send a new set out right away. If you have any questions please let us know.

Thank you,

Jeff Smith

Order Team

WWW.LAMIN-X.COM"

Hope this helps a few Subaru Owners!

^^ thanks.

But I won't be installing any more lamin-x on fog lights. It's cheap, but the hassle of replacement is too much. I can't constantly monitor my speed to gaurd my fog light film :rolleyes:

My pictures didn't turn out very well (not to representative of actual output), but I got a good one of the color difference on a white board. I'll try to get it downloaded and posted.

But that said - I bet Brett's hoen yellow fogs look VERY good in person, considering what my pictures look like.

I may go that route on the wifes Fozzy, after I remove the burnt film. And maybe for my spec as well if they perform as expected (not just yellow, but actually throw enough light - which they probably do)

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my frontal shot and output (color variance).

low beams - Osram 65w (true high output bulbs)

fogs - Hella yellowstars

I'm going to look into the Hoen's for my wifes Fozzy, as the burnt film has to go!

**Edit - I just did buy a set for the Fozzy. Thanks Brett!

IMG_6793.thumb.jpg.106097870bf0f19c0d5e382214356a80.jpg

343945202_lightoutput.thumb.jpg.781bc0acf41fe74ced55b6c6d1073105.jpg

Archived