LegacyGT.com

misfire cylinder 3

Thorr

hey guys!

i just bough my legacy. i got it at a discounted price because the check engine light is on. i took it to autozone and they told me that it has a misfire on cylinder 3. the guy i bought it from said he already did a tune up. what else could be going on with it? im a complete beginner on cars so i dont know where to start.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol: Some parts guys, mostly the old ass ones, have good idea's on what it could be.

Another question for OP - Did you get the receipts showing the purchase of the parts for the tune up or for the shop that did the service?

They were all young guys when I was there. They didn't really offer any idea's.

I think I'll start with the spark plugs. I know I can at least get them out and take a picture of them because I did spark plugs on my dad's old mustang with him a few years ago and it was easy.

• I Donated
Sorry man but they are nothing alike. Pop your hood and take a look at the clearance you have to work with to get to the plugs.

yes this.

I advise that you do a head stand, twirl around in 3 circles, and then do a rain dance before you attempt to remove the plugs. Also, if you pour beer on them then blow on them, they come out a little easier.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated
yes this.

I advise that you do a head stand, twirl around in 3 circles, and then do a rain dance before you attempt to remove the plugs. Also, if you pour beer on them then blow on them, they come out a little easier.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

^This might work. I usually have about a 60% success rate with this. I have found that if I hop on my left foot, pat my head, and rub my belly for 10 seconds, in between the twirling and the rain dance, that it greatly increases my chances of getting the plugs out on the first try.

This could be a minor problem like a bad plug, bad coil pack, or failing injector. It could be bigger like a cracked piston ring or a burnt valve. In my case, a failing injector led to a lean air/fuel mixture in one cylinder. It overheated and the valve deformed. The engine had to be pulled and new valves installed.

Well I pulled out all of the plugs. One of the spark plug wires broke so I soldered it back together and used some electrical tape.

Cylinder 3 plug wire is the one that broke I think. It had a mis matched spark plug in it. I put some Autolite Copper plugs in there so they all match and I couldn't afford to buy a set of wires.

I'm still having a misfire though. Any thoughts?

• I Donated

Well I pulled out all of the plugs. One of the spark plug wires broke so I soldered it back together and used some electrical tape.

I have a thought...

Let me think for a second.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/broknindarkagain/65cca942.jpg

It might be your spark plug wire!

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

• I Donated
Can't be I just fixed that problem. Any other idea's?

Can I ask you a question?

What kind of experience do you have working on cars?

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Cylinder 3 plug wire is the one that broke I think. It had a mis matched spark plug in it. I put some Autolite Copper plugs in there so they all match and I couldn't afford to buy a set of wires.

epic!:lol:

Archived