LegacyGT.com

is this a stock sti up pipe?

OK so i took the up pipe off my o5 lgt 5eat and this is what was in there, Im wondering if this is the sti up pipe everyone is talking about and if so shouldi replace it withthe invidia up pipe i purchased? or put that back in the car and sell the up pipe?

any knowledge on which would be what?

Whether one would prefrome different over the other?

thanks for any info

ktmking250

UpPipe.thumb.jpg.b05a6656f3bcb5d6b96f9d1a91cca73d.jpg

huh, the one i have doesnt have the bung hole for the seensor which made me believe it was the sti pipe everyones talking about. i looked thru the pipe and its straight thru like the invidia one.

the resistor mod has already been done too.

thanks for the link

sweet thanks barmanbean

invar thanks for that last post with the link to the cfm data, that exactly what i was looking for. i think ill put the invidia in...anyone wanna buy a sti up pipe, LOL.

Thanks again guys

Well, the flow volume is better, but someone else pointed out a few things.

1) Just because the volume is better doesn't mean it'll make your spool any better.

2) Sometimes you increase the volume, but decrease velocity. This can actually negatively impact your spool.

3) Or it might just do nothing for you at all in terms of performance... The extra flow might just translate into no real world performance difference.

Think about it. ;)

ok so i read the flow link again(in its entirity) and found this comment

"but its huge and flows awesome and for most of this site running a 68mm compressor (16g/18g/20g/hta68) this thing will do nothing but induce crap tons of lag. Which i find funny because its a stock location up pipe so huge turbos that fit it are few and far between.

Same thing with headers... invidia makes some huge headers that flow awesome but unless you're running at-least a 35r derivative... its pointless. "

and being that i have the bnr 16g and this staement saying its not a large turbo bigger, better and more flow may not help or achieve any thing.

im not trying to achieve the MOST out of this car, but rather was just trying to get the catted up pipe out of the vehicle as advise don this forum.

I was going to ask too, heat shields, dp and up pipes:

do they have to be put back on?

does it hurt anything to leave them off?

ive read some stuff on modifing them but no clear yes and nos to the heat shields

• Moderators

You're not going to get a straight answer on the last list of questions there, it's a matter of MANY opinions it seems. My basic understanding though is that hotter gasses flow faster, so heatshields/wraps are two fold: they keep inside gasses hotter (and therefore flowing faster) and they keep outside air from heating up, keeping engine bay temps down.

My opinion is K.I.S.S.: the OEM pipes in our car and other turbo subarus have heat shields...so I'm going to keep the heatshield on the STI pipe when it goes in and I'm going to wrap my downpipe.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

If I had the choice to go back down and save some money, I'd get a used STI catless UP just like the one you have, and not bother with the Invidia I currently have.

I highly highly HIGHLY doubt I would've noticed any difference... AND I would have a heatshield still in place on the UP, which is nice because my car heatsoaks like crazy at stage 2 in NYC traffic.

Archived