LegacyGT.com

EJ20R Swap info please!

Hey so my situation just took a turn for the better. My mom is looking at buying my sister the same car i purchased a month ago. 98 LGTL. And my buddy told me he has a jdm EJ20R twin turbo engine sitting in his garage. He said he has all the stuff i would need for a single turbo setup for 800$ because he is sick of looking at it and needs the space. I just dropped 800$ in parts to re do the engine in my car, but the car my mom is looking at purchasing has bad head gaskets so i told her 1000$ for my re done engine. 800 for the parts 200 for my time. So this is really becoming an option but i need to find out all the parts i need to do this. And how complicated it will be. So please any info is appreciated!

• I Donated

Most everything you need to know is on this link

Second Generation Legacy Engine FAQ

If there is anything you're unsure about, post it in this thread instead of PMing. That way others later on who are looking for the same info can search for it!

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Brok, if you had a choice what engine would you rather swap into a second gen leggy? EG33 or EJ20R?

An EG33 is second gen and non-interference and really cool, but it seems like a lot of work to put in a Leggy (nothing wrong with that).

Which would be more manageable for a dedicated, hard working, non-master mechanic?

EJ20R it is. Going into my leggy after I get brakes/suspension/etc. ready for it. I might not wait until my EJ22 dies, because that could be another 250k (only at 253k right now). But I will wait until the weather warms up since I don't have a heated garage.

You can pick up an EJ20R w/5MT on ebay for around $1200 bucks <60k. That doesn't seem too crazy expensive. I'll shop around but what do you guys think? Too much?

Would my stock 5MT tranny hold up or is it best to upgrade? If so, what?

• I Donated
Some say it will some say it wont. I personally like to upgrade the trans while you're in there to be on the safe side....ESPECIALLY if it has a lot of miles on it...and in your case, your transmission does.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Actually, mine was replaced with a used one last year. I'm not sure but it probably only had around 120k or less on it. I'll try and find out...

But if I should replace it, would it just be with a stock tranny with low miles?

Sorry to threadjack. But I won't lose any sleep over it.

• I Donated

EJ20R and the EJ20K are the same engine. Same heads, same internals, etc. The only difference between the two is the 20R is tapped for the lines for the second turbo.

Some people go for the 20R instead of the 20K because its cheaper. People shipping engines overseas know that the 20R won't fit without modifications...however the 20K will...so the easier swap is more expensive.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Archived