LegacyGT.com

Clutch Masters FX200?

BAC5.2

Does anyone actually have one?

Every thread related to CM, it seems people are getting the FX300. That's fine, and I'm sure it's a great clutch, but I want a full-face disc and wanted to hear reviews/setups of people who had gone with the FX200.

The 200 seems to be a better choice for a car more seriously daily driven (traffic, lots of stop-and-go, etc), but I haven't found any LGT reviews of it.

Until convinced otherwise, I'll be going with the old ACT HDSS standby, and I'll probably use my OEM single mass flywheel, after having it machined.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But the 300 isn't a full face. I was just looking for FX200 reviews.

I'll probably just go with ACT, then.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

It has to do with engagement.

For a given force, pressure is inversely proportional to area. A decrease in area, means an increase in pressure.

So full-face clutches are more easily modulated than puck/pad style clutches. But they can't hold as much power.

I want a full-face, because I don't race the car and I don't intend to. I won't be making more than 300whp with a 5-speed still in it, and I won't be launching it either. Puck/pad clutches are also typically noisier than full-face clutches, and this isn't a race car.

Full face clutches also have more surface area, so they heat up less readily and have more material so they wear less quickly.

I had an unsprung 4-puck in my old car. It was easy enough to drive every day, but it was just too aggressive and unforgiving for a relaxing "GT" type car.

The FX200 intrigues me, because of the carbon kevlar face material. The wear life on kevlar based materials is typically astronomical as long as they don't overheat. Once overheated and glazed, they don't tend to return back to their original state like an organic full-carbon based clutch will (where you can "wear off" the glaze).

Thanks and good luck.

Not trying to sell you on the FX300 but IMO, it is much smoother than stock, easier to modulate and drive smoothly than stock and there was no noise increase that I noticed.

I have only had it for 700 miles so I am still in the honeymoon period..so I can't comment on longevety and/or glazing issues. I also never launch it or beat on it..i just thought the extra holding power (along with zero drivability issues) made the 300 a better choice for me.

As you probably already know, the ACT are known to be noisy (that's what scared me away from it) but they do have a proven track record.

B - I appreciate the review.

Mustang - I'm thinking that's probably the way I'll go. I was just curious if anyone was actually using the FX200 (or the 100, I guess).

But the 300 isn't a full face. I was just looking for FX200 reviews.

I'll probably just go with ACT, then.

This was from fredbeansparts.com:

The Clutch Masters FX300 clutch utilizes a full face clutch with segments of Kevlar to provide more holding power than a FX100 or FX200, yet still offer exceptionally smooth driveability and long life.

According to them the FX300 is a full face clutch.

That's not an accurate description. According to Clutchmasters:

The FX300 System uses the Power Plus I Pressure Plate with a Steel Back Segmented Kevlar disc.

Even looking at the pictures, you can tell it's not a full face.

Even with the LWFW, i find the fx300 just as easy to modulate as stock, and has no noise. It's not an on/off puck style clutch.

But if you're sure you won't go more than 300whp, I can see the fx200 being a good choice. That would be my choice if i stayed with stage 2 and needed a regular replacement.

I definitely won't be using a LWFW, but it's good to hear about the drivability of the -300. Maybe I'll find someone with one local and go for a spin. If it's not too hateful I might just go with it instead.

It really seems like the 300 is just a pad version of the 200, with the same pressure plate and everything.

...I had an unsprung 4-puck in my old car. It was easy enough to drive every day, but it was just too aggressive and unforgiving for a relaxing "GT" type car.

:lol:I had a 3 puck unsprung and it was basically undriveable in traffic:lol:

(not in a subaru, in a drag car I drove around all stupid like)

I doubt there will be much difference in pedal feel, engagement or longevity for your purpose but I am interested to see what you end up doing.

• 5 months later...

Still haven't found any reviews of the FX200.

It's like no one buys it, but no one can say why. They just arbitrarily go with the FX300.

I wonder if the FX300 actually has a softer pressure plate than the FX200, and takes advantage of the decrease in surface area to improve power capacity. They remove clutch disc material to make up for the light pressure plate, and still get the same clamping force.

But, of course, that's unsubstantiated. I haven't yet found anyone who has put any miles on an FX200. And most of the FX300 reviews I've seen have fewer than 10k on them, no test-of-time in my book.

Time to call Clutch Masters.

I like my fx300. Though I'm only at 900 miles. The ONLY reason I went with this over the fx200 is that my car gets autocrossed. I probably would have been fine with the fx200, but I'm happy enough with this clutch to just leave it in there. Every once in a while I'll have a not so smooth (puck-like) engagement in 1st gear. But once rolling it's as easy or easier to engage than stock. It really grabs.

On the contrary, I had the comp clutch 2100 kit in my car for ~600 miles. If it wasn't for the lwfw that had to go with the clutch (that produced chatter), that would have been a clear winner. That was full face and less on-off than the fx300. fx300 is still smooth, just more on-off than the 2100. I attribute this to the full face vs segmented disk designs.

I asked CM, and they said that they almost invariably recommend the FX300 unless the person requires a full-face clutch.

2000 miles on an FX200?

Just finished reading this whole thread. Good info, guys. I don't know what I'm going to do yet. Put an ACT HDSS with ACT LWFW in it about 1000 miles ago. It's gone.. Started slipping around 600 miles! Never drove it hard. No explanation to why it went so fast. Lining up a time to take it to my guy, but I need to know what to replace it with. That combo was terrible. Ridiculously heavy pedal, really tough to drive. If you go CM fx200 or 300, what flywheel are you going to use? Reading on here, it sounds like not all LWFW make it as crazy heavy as the ACT did mine. I'm thinking about a Spec or CM clutch. Def no Competition, as they have the "kit" with LWFW included. And I really don't want to mess with ACT again, even though I put nothing but ACT's in my Hondas over the past 15 years and never had a problem.. I'd like to mate a stock 06-07WRX flywheel to whichever one I decide on..

I'm using a stock WRX flywheel with the FX300 and its a great combo. Stock pedal feel, great driveablitly and it's been holding the 350ft/lbs my hta68 has been putting through it for the past 4-5k miles great!

Would def recommend the combo!

Slammed more than your girlfriend.

Just finished reading this whole thread. Good info, guys. I don't know what I'm going to do yet. Put an ACT HDSS with ACT LWFW in it about 1000 miles ago. It's gone.. Started slipping around 600 miles! Never drove it hard. No explanation to why it went so fast. Lining up a time to take it to my guy, but I need to know what to replace it with. That combo was terrible. Ridiculously heavy pedal, really tough to drive. If you go CM fx200 or 300, what flywheel are you going to use? Reading on here, it sounds like not all LWFW make it as crazy heavy as the ACT did mine. I'm thinking about a Spec or CM clutch. Def no Competition, as they have the "kit" with LWFW included. And I really don't want to mess with ACT again, even though I put nothing but ACT's in my Hondas over the past 15 years and never had a problem.. I'd like to mate a stock 06-07WRX flywheel to whichever one I decide on..

Eroc:

I'm having the same issue... sending you a PM...

I just got the fx300 installed with an exedy lwfw yesterday. I can also vouch for buttery smooth pedal feel and predictable engagement. Even with the LWFW, its not too bad around town. I was going to use the Single mass FW but my funky push-type clutch setup(apparently one of very few off the assembly line in late 04) didn't allow it. Its been said before. This should have been the stock clutch in my opinion.

• 3 months later...
Bump for update. I also want to hear any first-hand experience with the FX200.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Archived