LegacyGT.com

Rear wiper on wagon (diagnosis help)

Our 2005 unlimited MT wagon's rear wiper isn't working. Looking for advice and direction, thanks.

I most often am the one who typically pulls things apart and fixes them, as I have the patience to work through the tasks, or I am the one that really wants to install the mod ;) so...

He checked the fuse and he took it to the dealer, who jumpered a hot wire to determine the motor works. There's a $100 visit.

I tried to listen for the relay, as the dealership's notes didn't mention checking the relay. There are too many various noises under the hood for this technique. I see there are three relays that seem the same part #. Is there any reason I can't pull the Horn relay and the Wiper relay, and plug in the horn relay, to check the wiper circuit? Do those relays have any special connector base or special puller tool, or do they just pop out lilke the motorcycle relays just pop out?

I have searched the forums, found the OB topic on the wagon wire wiring issue, and have downloaded both the 2005 Vacation pictures of the "whole trip" as well as the vacation pictures of the "body work."

If the relay swap can't be done or doesn't make a difference, I figure the next step is to dive into the rubber protection boot on the right side of the tailgate at the hinge, where the wires run through, and there likely is a connector behind the tailgate inner panel somewhere, maybe near the taillight cubby? I don't see that the dealership checked the pinouts for power.

TIA for any guidance that saves me pulling apart things that won't help!

Just noticed this thread, sorry I can't be much help. My 05 wagons rear wiper stops at different places everytime on intermittent, but I don't use it much anyway's.

I would think that the relay with the same part number should work. Are you sure the on/off handle is ok ?

BTW, I'm up for dirty pictures....:) My wagon is dirty too...;) but I did wash the SpecB last night.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Are you sure the on/off handle is ok ?

No. But I really don't want to start there. No reason to think it isn't working. Everything else works.

Hoping for more ideas or direction...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

On the wiring diagram, that appears to be a switch wire instead of a motor wire. The previous posts mention the lavendar w/white stripe.

We haven't dived into it yet, due to new snow making it too cold to work, even in the garage.

But I'm taking good notes...

You need to get out the volt meter and figure out exactly where it has stopped working.

Yes, that what I figure needs to be done at a connector if nothing is obvious when looking at the wiring in that rubber boot. I assume there is a connector in the rear door, so the motor assembly could easily be replaced? The dealer already confirmed the motor runs with a jumpered hot wire.

Here it is, midday, and only 35F. Friggin 20F below typical for this time of year. I'll get out there eventually and work on it; maybe in June.

I have every interior piece out of my wagon right now. If you need to know where the wiring goes, let me know. I can take a look/send picture. Although my pictures won't be dirty.

Yes, photos, please!

I am expecting to need to see the bottom end of the wiring harness, from the right hinge side of the tailgate, down into the tailgate body panel area.

The roof connector or wire run, from that right side hinge, through the headliner?

Basically, the motor and the wiring harness at that end and/or any connector that would make it possible to change out the motor.

I am hoping it simply is a wiring failure in the harness where it goes through that hinge. Since the wagon is the bass equipment hauler, the tailgate is used more than the driver's door.

• 2 months later...

This problem escalated before I could get to it, in that the rear lights' fuse kept blowing, too.

Resolution: new rear wiring harness did the trick. Found a local independent Subie guy who said repairing the wires individually would just keep revealing another fatigued wire, as he had seen this on an Outback wagon. For $100 in labor he did the ordering and did the R&R.

• 2 months later...

Archived