LegacyGT.com

2008 Legacy ... Could use some help.

Hi, this is first post on this forum.

I'm having a slight issue, it's a little out of the ordinary. Ever since I installed LED reverse lights, when I shift into reverse the radio cuts out.

I read online that it could be something to do with some sort of frequency that the LED lights put out, but I'm not sure. So now I'm here, this forum helped me a ton, but I couldn't find any information on this anywhere.

Also, I do have a problem with the rear defroster also cutting out the radio, I know the issue is the 20% tint I have on it. Does anyone have a workaround?

Any information will be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone has information on common Legacy problems, any at all, just mention below.

Thanks

IMG_20171115_172137_865.thumb.jpg.5c7f7c1310f83a4968b9ee5ec47aadac.jpg

Welcome to the forum! Your car looks beautiful! Unfortunately I can't help with your wiring issues. I suspect it's the wiring though and not the LED lights. I don't know much about that stuff though.

The best way to search on this forum is to do a google search and include "site:legacygt.com" as a keyword. Lots of good information.

Common issues for the Fourth Generation Legacy 2.5i were head gasket failure and wheel bearing failure mainly.

Yeah I did some reading earlier that suggested cheap led's could be the culprit, but I trust sylvania and don't think that's the problem.

I did some more reading, and I wasn't going to reply again because I didn't want to suggest something that might not work.

Some people talk about how these snap on ferrite beads could reduce the radio static. Will they help a little, a lot, or at all, I'm not sure.

Honestly, after doing some research I don't think there is any way to completely get rid of the problem.

Welcome to the forum! Your car looks beautiful! Unfortunately I can't help with your wiring issues. I suspect it's the wiring though and not the LED lights. I don't know much about that stuff though.

The best way to search on this forum is to do a google search and include "site:legacygt.com" as a keyword. Lots of good information.

Common issues for the Fourth Generation Legacy 2.5i were head gasket failure and wheel bearing failure mainly.

I got the impression the issue isn't because of wiring but rather the LEDs give off some form of frequency which interferes with the radio.

OP, I'm working to determine if there's anything I can do about a certain radio station having weak reception. The forum has been very helpful and they pointed me to a diversity amplifier which is located in the rear hatch of my OBXT. Perhaps there's one in the GT located in the rear of the vehicle? This diversity amplifier is supposed to help with radio reception. When the radio cuts out is it for a certain part of the radio band? Or for all of it? AM, FM, or both?

Tint is not the issue with the defroster. Many of us have tint including myself and do not have radio issues.

Does the radio lose the station or completely cut out? If you listen to a CD does the radio work without issue?

There is more testing to do before buying voodoo beads for the LEDs....don't just start throwing money at it before you know exactly what is happening.

Tint is not the issue with the defroster. Many of us have tint including myself and do not have radio issues.

Does the radio lose the station or completely cut out? If you listen to a CD does the radio work without issue?

There is more testing to do before buying voodoo beads for the LEDs....don't just start throwing money at it before you know exactly what is happening.

Depending on how strong the radio signal is greatly depends on if I lose the station completely or not. With CD and Aux the radio works without a problem.

I got the impression the issue isn't because of wiring but rather the LEDs give off some form of frequency which interferes with the radio.

OP, I'm working to determine if there's anything I can do about a certain radio station having weak reception. The forum has been very helpful and they pointed me to a diversity amplifier which is located in the rear hatch of my OBXT. Perhaps there's one in the GT located in the rear of the vehicle? This diversity amplifier is supposed to help with radio reception. When the radio cuts out is it for a certain part of the radio band? Or for all of it? AM, FM, or both?

It is both AM and FM, but when it is a very strong signal it doesn't fully cut out. I'm talking a very strong radio signal though.

Thanks for the insight, but yes I just finished my head gaskets the other day :lol:

I'm only at 87k bought it at 82k

My guess is;

Your Antenna Amplifier is;

Loosing power.

or

Getting high frequency interference, on it's power lead.

If you can find out where it is:

Disconnect it's Power & Ground from the car & Power it separately, via a separate 12V Battery.

If that resolves it, you can try reconnecting it but adding a Noise Filter, on the Power Line.

Also, are your LED's CANBUS?

I try to avoid CANBUS LED's, on non-CANBUS cars.

Archived