LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

• 1 month later...

so i'm pretty sure i've read through this thread about 8 times since it was first posted :lol: and I pick up something new from it everytime (like watching a movie i guess)

You had a 05 STI tranny, and you were able to reuse your stock 05 GT front half shafts?

and the driveshaft was custom and 5.7" longer, what was the cost on this and would they be able to reproduce another one? why would we not just be able to use an automatic 05+ legacy driveshaft like the wrx guys do? just thinking on ways to cut the cost down i guess.

one "benefit" i could think of w/ the B 6MT is that it has the same clutch/fly as the non B LGTs correct? therefore for someone like myself with $1000 already in a clutch/fly package it could be reused w/ the new transmission.

i originally thought that an 04 STI tranny would be the way to go since it had 5x100 hubs. then I thought, hey an 06 STI tranny would be ok as well since you wouldn't have to regear the rear diff due to the 1.1:1 stepper.

now i'm thinking i'll take any tranny if the front half shafts worked ok from the 05 LGT. that def makes me feel better, so please confirm your front half shafts worked w/ the 05 :)

Andrewtech has already volunteered to buy my tranny, i'm pretty sure i could sell my current spec clutch and fly setup on here, so hopefully the price after selling those items won't be too bad, plus i'm getting a free 3.9 R&P from a buddy to put in my rear diff.

so I'll need a clutch set up and a stock sti fly, sti tranny, custom driveshaft and all the other random items :lol:

Hi Groff,

Yes, I reused the front half shafts from my 05 LGT 5MT. in the 05 STi 6MT. You need to check to see if 04 STi 6MT has same style haft shaft as the 05, Male end with circlip, in late models. Subaru used a Female end with a spring pin. In the early models.

The custom driveshaft was $600.00 and they have my driveshaft specs. on file. Over 3x stronger the OEM & 100% rebuildable. I priced a 07 spec. b drive shaft, about $655.00. OEM driveshaft are threw aways. You can, from what I heard use a drive shaft out of 05 or new legacy A/T. If the A/T driveshaft overall length is between 63.50" & 63.88". It should work.

No spec.b's uses the same flywheel\clutch set-up has the STi 6MT.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Hi Groff,

Yes, I reused the front half shafts from my 05 LGT 5MT. in the 05 STi 6MT. You need to check to see if 04 STi 6MT has same style haft shaft as the 05, Male end with circlip, in late models. Subaru used a Female end with a spring pin. In the early models.

The custom driveshaft was $600.00 and they have my driveshaft specs. on file. Over 3x stronger the OEM & 100% rebuildable. I priced a 07 spec. b drive shaft, about $655.00. OEM driveshaft are threw aways. You can, from what I heard use a drive shaft out of 05 or new legacy A/T. If the A/T driveshaft overall length is between 63.50" & 63.88". It should work.

Mike

Mike, thanks for your help with my swap :)

groff,

you can use a 2005-2006 2.5i AUTO propshaft, it will work perfectly. I picked one up and am using in daily driving my 04 STi 6MT. $85.

The axles will fit into the 04 Sti tranny, you just have to order new seals for when you take the stub shafts out. the male axels that the LGT uses, has a larger diameter at the transmission seal, so you must order 05 STI or LGT axle seals.. either one will fit.

• 2 months later...

deposit placed today for the following :spin:

2004 USDM STI 6sp transmission with shift linkage and knob

2004 STI Flywheel

2004 STI Slave Clutch Cylinder

2004 STI Starter

2004 STI Clutch Fork

2004 STI Front Axles (2)

2004 STI R180 Rear Differential

2004 STI Rear Axles (2)

OR

2006 USDM STI 6sp transmission with shift linkage and knob

2006 STI Flywheel

2006 STI Slave Clutch Cylinder

2006 STI Starter

2006 STI Clutch Fork

2006 STI Front Axles

I should know mid next week which package I'm getting as they haven't bought the donor car yet :lol:

I have until about 10am tomorrow to make a decision if I want to buy a 6MT SPEC 3+ clutch since SPEC will be going on vacation first week in July and isn't accepting orders (from vendors too) after tomorrow. Pretty sure this is what I'm going to get as I've been happy with my 3+ for the LGT for about 25,000 miles thus far :eek:

I'll be talking with my local shop tomorrow to see if they have a 2.5i donor driveshaft for me. I heard that a 4EAT driveshaft will work as well, though I'm not sure from what years. I found one for $50, just need to verify what years work here.

I know I'll need to get stubs, circlips and seals as well as fluid and hopefully that will cover nearly everything :lol: besides a dccd controller

will keep you all informed of my progress as well, probably wont go in until july unless i get too eager :lol:

Who are you buying from?

2004 STI Flywheel

2004 STI Starter

2004 STI Clutch Fork

2004 STI Front Axles (2)

2004 STI Rear Axles (2)

OR

2006 STI Flywheel

2006 STI Starter

2006 STI Clutch Fork

2006 STI Front Axles

I should know mid next week which package I'm getting as they haven't bought the donor car yet :lol:

I have until about 10am tomorrow to make a decision if I want to buy a 6MT SPEC 3+ clutch since SPEC will be going on vacation first week in July and isn't accepting orders (from vendors too) after tomorrow. Pretty sure this is what I'm going to get as I've been happy with my 3+ for the LGT for about 25,000 miles thus far :eek:

I'll be talking with my local shop tomorrow to see if they have a 2.5i donor driveshaft for me. I heard that a 4EAT driveshaft will work as well, though I'm not sure from what years. I found one for $50, just need to verify what years work here.

I know I'll need to get stubs, circlips and seals as well as fluid and hopefully that will cover nearly everything :lol: besides a dccd controller

will keep you all informed of my progress as well, probably wont go in until july unless i get too eager :lol:

2004 STI Flywheel

2004 STI Starter

2004 STI Clutch Fork

2004 STI Front Axles (2)

2004 STI Rear Axles (2)

OR

2006 STI Flywheel

2006 STI Starter

2006 STI Clutch Fork

2006 STI Front Axles

groff...

you won't need the front axels. yours will work.. if it's a 2004, you pull the stubs out of the 6MT, and put a new set of 05+ axle seals in it. if it's an 06, you can just use your axels straight up.

you WILL have to change the rear diff, and again, you will use your axels.

to complete this swap, youll need:

6MT tranny

flywheel

6mt shift linkage

clutch

clutch fork / slave cyl.

2005+ 2.5i auto driveshaft

3.90 / 3.545?? rear diff.. (i got mine out of an 04 legacy non-lsd :mad:)

i have had this swap in my car for about 10k and 4 months, over 370whp.. i destroyed 1 rear diff playing in the gravel when i hit dry pavement, BOOM.. lol

just upgraded to a 35R :eek: so we'll see.

PS. if you want i can PM you my number, and we can talk in detail about my tirals and tribulations.. mike did it for me.. i'll do it for you :)

WELCOME to the 6MT SWAP CLUB, this list is short :)

Edited by Z0rr0

Who are you buying from?

thats a secret for now until i get my package delivered :lol:

thanks for the help guys. i havent paid for everything yet, so i just edited my list to the vendor (good, cheaper!). out of curiousity, what dccd controllers did you guys go with?

and i ordered my new spec 3+ clutch today before spec goes on vacation :cool:

My DCCD controller.

” Spiider’s” Auto DCCD controller

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/0904071237_edited.jpg

Her so more pics. of the ” Spiider’s” Auto DCCD controller

OEM DCCD control switch used for good looks.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/0909072127.jpg http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/0909072124.jpg http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/0909072126a.jpg

I put the pics. in order of connection from Power tap to ECU. Autozone as a 10a mini piggy back fuse set up. Just plug it in to the fuse port for the 12v accessory out let. Run wire to the DCCD controller that seat so nicely on top of the Air bag control unit. I used 3M 2 sided tape & a long zip tie. JB weld G sensor in place. Run TPS wire to ECU under passanger side floor panel.Why'll I was there. I hooked up a switch to my test wire connector. So I don't have to dig them out everytime I use my APv2.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/0909071710_edited.jpg http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/0909071709a.jpg http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/0909071712a.jpg http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/0909071712.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/0909071709.jpg http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/0909071708a.jpg http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/0907071710_edited.jpg

Edited by HAMMER DOWN

Imo, I think it's as good, if not better. You set the aggression level & the DCCD controller does the rest. With LSD in front & rear & DCCD in the center. The GT is an animal in the winter time in the North East.

Mike

Imo, I think it's as good, if not better. You set the aggression level & the DCCD controller does the rest. With LSD in front & rear & DCCD in the center. The GT is an animal in the winter time in the North East.

Mike

Thank you & good info - at some point, I would like to do this, so it's good to know there are others in LGTland who have already done this. I was thinking of just going with the Spec B and not worry about Front or DCCD, but what's the fun in that? If you're going to go to the race gear, might as well have the full round.:)

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

i heard rumors that a 4EAT driveshaft will fit (believe this is from an older legacy), is there any confirmation on this. I can get one extremely cheap right now if it fits :) If not, oh well

Right here groff,

Mike, thanks for your help with my swap :)

groff,

you can use a 2005-2006 2.5i AUTO propshaft, it will work perfectly. I picked one up and am using in daily driving my 04 STi 6MT. $85.

The axles will fit into the 04 Sti tranny, you just have to order new seals for when you take the stub shafts out. the male axels that the LGT uses, has a larger diameter at the transmission seal, so you must order 05 STI or LGT axle seals.. either one will fit.

Hi Groff,

Mike

yea, working on sourcing the 2.5i shaft now. I have access to an older leggy 4EAT driveshaft, but am not sure if it fits. zorro, can you measure your 2.5i driveshaft overall length at some point please so I can see if the 4EAT one fits. thanks for all your help guys!

groff,

copied from my last post.

You can, from what I heard use a drive shaft out of 05 or new legacy A/T. If the A/T driveshaft overall length is between 63.50" & 63.88". It should work.

If your drive shaft is around this length, it should work. Hope this helps.

Mike