LegacyGT.com

Brembo conversion 2005 Legacy GT LTD

I just finish my brembo conversaion. Any brembo's from 04 to 07 will work on the legacy gt. The rotors have to be 5*100 from the 04 STI. The front will bolt up perfect with the 5*100 rotor and 04 to 07 sti brembo caliper.

For the rear i used some oversized brake shoe from the UK for the rear STI stock rotors because the Legacy GT brake shoe will not reach. U also need a pair of bracket fot the rear brembo's to bolt up. U have 2 sets of bracket. (1) u have to grind away a little space for them to fit. (2) the brackets that bolts up without any modifications. The difference is price.

The UK has brackets and brake shoe for 1 somn. Yimi sport $195 and fastwrx $249 for the brackets only. I had to change my rims after Tho.:cool:

IMAG0071.thumb.jpg.2bdbc52dc44471327a17f065bb54877e.jpg

IMAG0075.thumb.jpg.ac0ac0b7e9ba6c62d6f94180949abbc1.jpg

IMAG0078.thumb.jpg.ac0af0cd86611e95ffdf836326227ef7.jpg

IMAG0082.thumb.jpg.2c1d9e495bcce79aa1d224b67870f986.jpg

IMAG0086.thumb.jpg.93b916dfc04e6f7d266f7d2bcc06b842.jpg

IMAG0098.thumb.jpg.ec5788c9ca17e13cd49a49dd25b9e490.jpg

IMAG0108.thumb.jpg.adedb93cf9df45b5e81eb93549e26676.jpg

Hey, nice conversion. So, I was looking at Brembo big brake kits at Fred Beans and noticed the offset difference. I have an 05 LGT sedan with stock wheels (17x7x48?). Iwanted the big brake kit but it says need 17x7.5x55. Can I make due with a spacer or do I need all new wheels to fit?? THanks

ur stock wheels still would'nt fit even with the spacer. i tried. u definately have to get wheel that u like with the offset that fit. my new wheels are 8.5 with a 40+ offset but its the design of the wheels that made them fit. u have to test fit some wheels. i test fit them before i ordered them.

• 6 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I hope this old thread still has some life left!

I recently bought an 05 LGT 5EAT Limited. I’m not liking that lack of stopping power. Going with the 04-07 STI Brembos seems like a good route for me.

Does anyone have a part numbers list for this swap?

Can I get away with just doing the front? Or will the rear brakes be critical also?

Is eBay my best bet for finding the calipers?

Can I use legacy (stock and aftermarket) rotors, or am I switching to the sti rotors?

I think I’ll do the grimmspeed master cylinder brace and stainless lines as well.

Any other thoughts advice?

This is my first Subaru, so this is a lot of unfamiliar territory, but I’ve been wrenching on Toyota 4wds for almost two decades.

This is one example of how to get it done; if you're lucky, you might be able to buy them from him:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/mn-full-brembo-brake-conversion-280921.html

There are a few other methods. This was mine:

DBA T3 ClubSpec 4000 Slotted Rotor - Rear - LGT hub/parking brake to STI rear brembo rotor - DBA42657S - 2x

DBA T3 4000 Series T-Slot Slotted Rotor STI - 2004 STI fitment front rotor w/ 5x100 bolt pattern - 4654S-10-GRP - 2x

2004-2007 STI Brake Calipers - STI Brembo brake calipers - N/A - 1 set.

KNSBrakes V1.1 Conversion Caliper Bracket - LGT trailing arm to brembo rear caliper adapter bracket - KNS-005 - 2x

DBA XP650 Track Performance Front Brake Pads - Sport/track pads for 4000 series rotors - DB1678XP - 1 set.

DBA XP650 Track Performance Rear Brake Pads - Sport/track pads for 4000 series rotors - DB1521XP - 1 set.

Stoptech Stainless Steel Brake Lines Front - LGT fitment stainless lines - 950.47005 - 1 set.

Stoptech Stainless Steel Brake Lines Rear - LGT fitment stainless lines - 950.47505 - 1 set.

Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid Synthetic DOT 4 500ml - Brake fluid - 100949 - 2x

GrimmSpeed Master Cylinder Brace - Non-VDC brace kit - N/A - 1 Kit

2007 Subaru WRX Master Cylinder & Booster - 1" master cylinder/booster upgrade - F01G061025 - 1x

Brembo Front Brake Caliper Seal Rebuild Kit - Front Brembo rebuild kit - 26297FE010 - 1 Kit

Brembo Rear Brake Caliper Seal Rebuild Kit - Rear Brembo rebuild kit - 26697FE000 - 1 Kit

You do not need a new master/booster. But it can improve pedal feel and pedal force. Also if you get good condition calipers, you won't need the rebuild kits.

• 3 weeks later...
I hope this old thread still has some life left!

Can I get away with just doing the front? Or will the rear brakes be critical also?

Is eBay my best bet for finding the calipers?

Can I use legacy (stock and aftermarket) rotors, or am I switching to the sti rotors?

I think I’ll do the grimmspeed master cylinder brace and stainless lines as well.

Any other thoughts advice?

I’d really recommend doing the STi MC and booster, even without the Brembo’s. It makes the pedal much firmer. And yes, the MC is bigger.

Yes, you can just run the front Brembo’s with the lgt rears. For a street car it will be just fine.

Ebay is a good place to find calipers. You need to be careful of stripped out threads on the mounting holes and the bleeders. The aluminum on the Brembos can strip out easily. It’s common for them to have helicoils. Make sure the set you get has good threads or already has been helicoiled.

Hey Chocoholic005, why the need for the master cylinder / booster swap? Is it bigger then the stock LGT?

The master cylinder bore size is different between various subaru models. A bigger bore will allow you to move more fluid in the same distance of brake pedal travel. This creates the feel of a firmer, more confidence inspiring pedal. A lot of people feel the standard LGT pedal is a bit mushy, so this is usually a desirable upgrade. The brembo brakes also require a bit more pressure to operate, so this helps with that too, but you probably won't notice that.

Legacy M/C = 15/16"

WRX M/C = 1"

STI M/C = 1 & 1/16"

What is the go to for rear brake lines with rear Brembos on a lgt? The stock LGT lines are too long, is there a better option?

There used to be someone out there making custom SS brake lines for a legacy w/ rear brembo brakes. They might still be out there somewhere. I think most people (myself included) just use the stock lines and make them work. It's not so much that the lines are too long, its the angle at which the lines bolt up that's different.

Yeah, I also used the stock lines. With the different angle, I needed to zip tie the line out of the way of the axle boot. It’s been like that for awhile now but obviously I’m not too wild about it.