LegacyGT.com

Mounting Your AP V3 in your 5th Gen GT

I have the same mount except it's a vent clip version. The pre-installed double sided tape on the metal plate sucks btw. The V3 already has a built-in metal plate correct?

Edit: strange that we had such different experiences with the double sided tape. I ended up cleaning off the old one and using loctite double sided tape. Worked much better for me.

Edited by Shadow_419

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reviving since you finally got an AP mount GTeaser, which just happens to be the exact one I suggested [emoji6]. I've had mine for a year now and it's still going strong. You should have no problems with it and you can always use it for other stuff too since it comes with extra backing plates. I will say it's one of the best vehicle accessories I've ever owned. If I ever get an AP I'm considering the "cigarette lighter" mount they make with the USB power port.

I had already pretty much settled on it when you posted it but didn't want to buy it until I saw what others were using. Plus, with these things, when you actually get them, sometimes you find they don't work how you intended them to. This one works great and I love it.

I have the Scosche cigarette lighter mount that I use for my phone in the Fozz. I bought it and this one at the same time to weigh my options for the GT. It jiggles around quite a bit which is a bit of a pet peeve of mine, and with my Urban Armor phone case on sometimes the phone fall off. It's not an issue at all with the case removed. My phone is heavier than the AP. I have no real complaints and it would work well with an AP. I bought a 12" USB cord to go with it to keep my cord situation neat and tidy, and place the cord end on the magnet when not using the mount for the phone. The AP cord is another reason why I don't use this mount for the AP, I didn't want cords all over the place.

Edited by GTEASER

Do you have a plan for this yet?

Yes. Same way I did my V2, up under the kick panel (I hot glued a piece of velcro on the back side to bundle the excess cord) and out on the side of the steering column trim. The unplugged chord can be stowed along the top of the steering column time when the AP is hidden away.

I had already pretty much settled on it when you posted it but didn't want to buy it until I saw what others were using. Plus, with these things, when you actually get them, sometimes you find they don't work how you intended them to. This one works great and I love it.

I have the Scosche cigarette lighter mount that I use for my phone in the Fozz. I bought it and this one at the same time to weigh my options for the GT. It jiggles around quite a bit which is a bit of a pet peeve of mine, and with my Urban Armor phone case on sometimes the phone fall off. It's not an issue at all with the case removed. My phone is heavier than the AP. I have no real complaints and it would work well with an AP. I bought a 12" USB cord to go with it to keep my cord situation neat and tidy, and place the cord end on the magnet when not using the mount for the phone. The AP cord is another reason why I don't use this mount for the AP, I didn't want cords all over the place.

That's what I was afraid of with the cigarette lighter one so that's good to know. And that was my only issue with the phone when using my El cheapo case. It broke so back to no case and no slippage. It did hold it through a rubber then plastic 2 peice case just didn't hold when hitting a good turn with a little extra speed. I may end up doing just as you did.

I feel like I've joined the enabler crowd now and I'm usually not that way. You guys are rubbing off on me.

Edited by foxrider28

• 1 year later...
Resurrecting an old thread. Has anyone used this for mounting the AP? Just have to add a magnet to the bracket.

https://grabcad.com/library/iphone-5-car-mount-fits-into-subaru-air-vent-1

original.jpg

I'm using a magnet mount. Works awesome. I'll post pics of it in the car when I get it back

Here's the one I'm using (Amazon pics)7f9046a0a4afd151cc83a89ebe67c8be.jpg21f630f4c185bd9715375c713b291ec8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

rammount.com makes a nice flexible arm that bolts to the seat track, and can hold all sorts of accessory like garmin ball or laptop mounts. I use it with a ball and mount my cobb like that, super low key and not in the way

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but the Scosche MAGDMB MagicMount makes a very compact mount and you don't have to worry about suction cups losing suction.(notice suction cup rings on the windshield from my old gooseneck holder)

1764621110_ScoscheMAGDMBMagicMount.PNG.25cfe3566128147028cfcc48015d43a5.PNG

20171203_155233.thumb.jpg.e147e60bb0288062214504d8f4342a2e.jpg

• 1 year later...

Question for the guys that have used the MagicMount. How hard is it to remove the adhesive? I really want to move my AP off the vent and closer to the cluster and I think Gteaser has the best placement. I just don't like adhesive mounts, but cannot come up with a good looking way to mount using factory holes.

Well, I do have one idea...

The adhesive is pretty hard to get off, and goo gone seems to affect the trim paint at least the silver. This is where mine is mounted.

48ef666f7821db56e82bb9eb009710fa.jpg1bfad9b224c924d61c94f5820c6abb26.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Edited by Zee199969

that's exactly where my AP sits
I figured the bezel was cheap enough I could replace it if its damaged when removing the magic mount. But, then again when will that be? Idk.

I figured the bezel was cheap enough I could replace it if its damaged when removing the magic mount. But, then again when will that be? Idk.

Exactly my thoughts. Mine mounted in approximately the same spot.

That is a good point. I just checked and the bezel is just over $50. I tried to remove the one off the Outback in the pick-n-pull a couple months ago, but there is more involved than just a couple screws up top.

The adhesive is pretty hard to get off, and goo gone seems to affect the trim paint at least the silver. This is where mine is mounted.

48ef666f7821db56e82bb9eb009710fa.jpg1bfad9b224c924d61c94f5820c6abb26.jpg

Completely different subject. What floor liners do you have, Weathertech, Husky? Also, do you have an issue with getting dirt/grime between the liner and door sill?

That is a good point. I just checked and the bezel is just over $50. I tried to remove the one off the Outback in the pick-n-pull a couple months ago, but there is more involved than just a couple screws up top.
What? Remove the screws and pull. There are 3 or 4 locating clips that click into the dash and they aren't difficult.

Completely different subject. What floor liners do you have, Weathertech, Husky? Also, do you have an issue with getting dirt/grime between the liner and door sill?
Weather tech. And yes I get the buildup on the sides and behind the foot rest. I think the husky mats are better, but haven't seen them in person. The big issue would be the fuel door release.

What? Remove the screws and pull. There are 3 or 4 locating clips that click into the dash and they aren't difficult.

In addition to the screws that you can see, there's that one last one hiding under the small wood/carbon/silver trim piece to the right of the steering column, and the screw for that trim piece is hidden under the radio bezel. That's the one that stopped me the first time I tried to get the gauge cluster out, so I'm guessing that's what he ran into as well.

In addition to the screws that you can see, there's that one last one hiding under the small wood/carbon/silver trim piece to the right of the steering column, and the screw for that trim piece is hidden under the radio bezel. That's the one that stopped me the first time I tried to get the gauge cluster out, so I'm guessing that's what he ran into as well.
Haha! That's right, I remember now. It's been a while. Was mixing up the Legacy with the Fozz because I took that one off dozens of times.

I had never pulled one off before and didn't want to break it. Thinking back now, a car sits at that pick-n-pull for like 3 months and then gets crushed/salvaged. So it really would not have hurt anything.

I ended up buying one of the MagicMounts and will install it this weekend. I'm always gunshy on doing something that permanent when it's right in front of your face.