LegacyGT.com

how many owners head gasket failed EJ255 turbo

how many owners head gasket failed EJ255 turbo? has your head gasket failed?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. how many owners head gasket failed EJ255 turbo? has your head gasket failed?

• yes
    • no

You can add all of these people to the list including myself:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/add-me-gt-head-gasket-failure-list-255946.html

I was at 58k when mine went. Here is the list of other 5th gen LGTs from that thread:

Continually updated list of 2010-2012 LGT owners who've done head gaskets.

2010Leggy @ 105k miles

Swannee225 @ 75k miles

Sarang @145k miles

solgt @ 78k miles

acumenhokie @ 55k miles

redstriker @ 24k and 85k miles

Slider

BBPeik

MoralHazard @135k miles

and 2 others that I cannot recall their names as they are not on here very much at all.

The poll simply asked if your headgasket failed, and the thread title sounds like a more general question rather than specifically the turbo engines.

The post topic is

'how many owners head gasket failed EJ255 turbo'

Should I include my 5M-GE Supra headgasket from the 1990's that failed? or my 2009 Outback's 2.5i EJ253 headgasket that leaked?

The post topic is

'how many owners head gasket failed EJ255 turbo'

Should I include my 5M-GE Supra headgasket from the 1990's that failed? or my 2009 Outback's 2.5i EJ253 headgasket that leaked?

I took it as the type of car that the person who started the thread had, not specifically that vehicle only.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine have gone as well. 3010 legacy gt, driving another car now and saving for the rebuild. Similar coolant bubbling issues and then overheating, tried other fixes before realizing it's the hgs. I need to search here and on FB more, but any tips on other things to replace at the same time for longetivity?

Sent from my BV4900 using Tapatalk

Edit: 2010 lol. Also have 160k miles

Edited by pdsd16

clutch, lifter buckets if out of spec, reseal the engine--front and rear main seals, cams, oil pan, anything else that's leaking, EGR valve and thermostat. full timing set including water pump, unless it's very recently been done. check the radiator to make sure it's still in good shape...likely is, but would be a pain to get everything back together and rip it apart. any hoses that look cracked/broken, and the turbo oil lines have a tendency to corrode. for funsies you can also do an STi cam swap if you're planning on going for power at some point, and can swap the front sway bar for a beefier unit if you want to, engine's already out so it's a quick swap.

edit. a lot of the stuff to do is just preventative stuff since the engine is already out and takes basically no extra labor to do it now instead of in the future. if your seals aren't leaking then it's not *necessary* to do, but it's a million times easier to do a rear main seal with the engine out than it is to do it in 10k miles when it starts seeping and you have to pull the engine or trans again. same for clutch and all of that fun stuff.

Edited by creep_nu