LegacyGT.com

05 legacy gt.....so many codes. Any help is much appreciated

How's it going everyone, first and foremost I'm asking for help with my fathers car, its not my car. Its an 05 legacy gt with 156k miles on it. It has a decent amount of mods done to it, none of which were done by me or my father. He bought it like that. Big mistake because a car like that will need maintenance every so often and many father can't even change his own oil:spin:

Sooooo, today he says it's running like crap and kept stalling when he got back in the driveway. I plugged in the access port to check the codes and got whole bunch of them....

P0011- A camshaft position sensor timing over advanced or system performance bank 1

P1153- o2 sensor circuit range/performance high bank 1 sensor 1

P0171-system lean bank 1

P0131- o2 sensor circuit low voltage bank 1 sensor 1

P0134- o2 sensor circuit no activity detected bank 1 sensor 1

P0345- camshaft position sensor A circuit bank 2

So my take on this is that he should replace the pre cat o2 sensor(most likely original) and get a smoke test done to look for vacuum leaks. Maybe camshaft sensor/s? Maybe a timing belt too? I'm not at all familiar with these cars, way different than my e46 lol so I'm here for some advice.

The only recent maintenance i can think of that he's had done is a fuel pump a few weeks ago and new plugs about a year ago. In not sure if any of the mods done to the car would affect diagnosis or anything but if so let me know and i can list what is done to the car to the best of my knowledge.

Anyone wanna buy an 05 legacy gt:icon_chee:lol:

And thank you in advance!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

P0011 is the one to worry about.

The other codes will be for the front O2 sensor.

These cars need routine maintenance but run well when taken care of.

If it has all the mod's you think the banjo filter or both should have been removed.

Timing belt should have been done at 105,000 miles.

You've come to the right place, lets hope this doesn't turn into another, "I just bought the car and driving it home the engine or turbo blew". We get those about once a week.

Read the sticky's and take notes.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

P0011 is the one to worry about.

The other codes will be for the front O2 sensor.

These cars need routine maintenance but run well when taken care of.

If it has all the mod's you think the banjo filter or both should have been removed.

Timing belt should have been done at 105,000 miles.

You've come to the right place, lets hope this doesn't turn into another, "I just bought the car and driving it home the engine or turbo blew". We get those about once a week.

Read the sticky's and take notes.

Ok thanks! I'll do more research on the p0011 and look through the stickys. Like i said, he got the car how it is so I'm not 100% o.k. everything done to it but i do know it has a bigger turbo, fmi, a bunch of custom piping and I'm sue a long list of other stuff. My father has owned the car for set least five years(since around 80k). Honestly I'm surprised he gone this long without problems considering how much he neglects maintenance lol

I attached a quick pic of the engine bay to maybe give an idea of the car.

So many searches have led to think that the ocv could very well be a contributing factor here. It seems like allot of people say they seem fine but idle is fixed after replacement so I'm thinking i should just skip inspection of them and get replacements? And along with that it seems like i should check the turbo for play in the shaft.

I'm trying to make a list for make a list of parts/jobs to get done for my dad so far i have

-precat o2 sensor

-oil control valve(there's two correct? Would it be wise to just do both?)

-timing belt

-rubber hoses(many are hard and brittle feeling)

If anyone thinks im missing something please chime in!

Before replacing the OCV, look up & follow the procedure for testing it. OCV failure can be a problem with oil supply rather then the valve itself. Oil problems are one of the top 2 killers, and if the maintenance has been neglected, there may be cause for concern there.

I'll check how test ocv for sure, thanks for tip. I'm assuming an oil delivery problem would be an oil pump issue generally? I'll look into oil delivery issues a well.

As far as maintenance goes the car gets oil changes every 3-4k and besides that nothing else gets replaced unless breaks. I don't even like saying that because thats not how i roll with my car lol....but my father doesn't like taking my advice until he wants me to try and fix the thing.:spin:

P.s. He does check and top up the oil at last once a week

Oh I see where you live. For local help talk with Dave at ESP off rt12. I'm going to assume the tune on the car was done there.

You'll also want to show that picture to Mike Kinsman of http://www.tuningalliance.com as he uses ESP's dyno. He tune my wagon there. You tell Mike I sent you to him.

They may have more info on the car.

Check the build date of the car on the drivers door jam, if its later 05 to early 06 the oil pick up tube should be replaced, as they have been known to crack.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Oh I see where you live. For local help talk with Dave at ESP off rt12. I'm going to assume the tune on the car was done there.

You'll also want to show that picture to Mike Kinsman of http://www.tuningalliance.com as he uses ESP's dyno. He tune my wagon there. You tell Mike I sent you to him.

They may have more info on the car.

Check the build date of the car on the drivers door jam, if its later 05 to early 06 the oil pick up tube should be replaced, as they have been known to crack.

Yeah it was tuned at esp actually! I live about two miles down on rt12 from them. I'm going to try to get Wednesday off from work so i can change the pre-cat o2 sensor, and hopefully remove the ocv and try to test it with a 9v battery to see if it's actually dead.

But in the end i only so much free time with work and my own car so after i do the sensor and check the ocv I'm probably going to suggest to my dad that he takes it down to esp. If he listens to me and does that I'll probably go with him so i have a better idea what's happening.

When i get home from work tonight I'll check the production date as probably look up the price for the pickup tube just in case.

I'm afraid my dad it's going to try as ditch this car and get something else.... Maybe i can finangle something and take it from him and take care if it right...it was such a nice, fast car when he first got it...it's sad to see it how it it's now:icon_cry:

Sounds like your interested enough in the car to take care of it. These cars give great bang of the buck, if you know what your doing.

Dave Brady at ESP knows these cars pretty well.

Someone is selling a pickup in his part out thread...I have to run now but it was posted today or yesterday.

Here it is,

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/full-part-out-pa-2005-bsm-legacy-gt-sedan-261030.html

Thanks lol oh do i just looove spending money haha i just sent a pm to the guy so hopefully I'll up getting that pickup tube!

I'm glad to see there's a pretty big/active community here! That's one thing i really like when it comes to my e46, many people to ask for advice, as long as you ask the right way at least lol

I think you'll find that most of us here are pretty adult in our responses...some of us can be trolls sometimes, but it's just a few of us old timers that do that.

So i just changed the pre cat o2 sensor with a denso(which i believe is oe?). Went nice an easy thankfully.

I have a few more questions. I pulled off the pipe that goes in between the air filter and the turbo. I can see to propeller in the turbo from there as it has what i would call very minimal play, is a little bit ok? There's oil pooled in the rubber boot that connects the air filter pipe to the turbo so I'm thinking the turbo hasn't been oil starved. I could be wrong though.

I found a ocv on the passenger side that I'm going to pull off and test. Just to be sure, is there only one on that side Of the engine? It seems like it's too easy to get at...almost to good to be true? Lol I attached a picture with an arrow pointing to it.

1409921657_Capture_2017-03-29-14-05-14.thumb.png.f824c4250f8a8466cd56e06d0fff71c4.png

I pulled that ocv and tested it with a 9v battery and it moved so i guess it's not completely failed...yet lol

I pulled the banjo bolt for the line that feeds that ocv and found no filter there, although I'm not %100 sure that's the banjo bolt I'm supposed to be checking. It looks like there's allot more reading to do in my future!

I haven't even started it yet. I'm out getting a new air filter for it and getting a set tires mounted right now(just got a set of arc-8s for my e46:eek:) when i get back I'm guna take out for a quick spin and see what comes back.

Yeah i get the feeling he's the resident guru round these parts lol I'll listen to his advice for sure!

one of many!!!!

THANKS,

Here's the banjo bolt DIY http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2-5gt-turbo-oil-supply-banjo-bolt-filter-removal-62371.html

Some of us say, any movement you can feel in the compressor wheel or turbine wheel is to much.

That's also more oil sitting in the turbo inlet then I like to see.

Make sure the PCV is working. If it's doesn't rattle when you shake it, it can push oil into places it shouldn't be. That set up looks like the PCV may be bypassed ? depends on how the catch can was plumbed.

ESP or Mike of TA can rebuild that turbo if needed.

Catch can?! I've been looking into doing a catch can on my e46 to get rid of the pcv. My understanding of a catch can is that you have to empty it every so often unless it drains the oil back into the pan. Would that be different on the Subaru, or would it just depend how it's setup? I'm asking because i know my father hasn't been emptying any catch can. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the pcv was bypassed on this car.

And max thanks for that diy, you've been very helpful! I really appreciate that!

Looking closer around the engine bay, sometime in the past someone put allot of love into this car. All the intake pipes are hand welded, even the down pipe. It has a blue anodized cobb crank pulley, red anodized aps fuel rails. Today my brother said it has arp head studs too. He said the guys at esp told him that back when my father bought the car. And thinking back, he bought it around 2010 so he's had longer than i was thinking....man time flys!

There is a banjo bolt with a filter in it on the driver side behind the timing belt cover. And the other one is bolted vertically behind the passenger side head. The thread that max provided should have all the info. You must check these to make sure they are not clogged. If they are clogged, they will starve the turbo from oil and it will eventually kill it (and maybe the engine too if not caught early).

Dumb question, but is the oil level at the full mark?

Also, once you have confirmed that both ocvs check out fine (which I think you did) and that the filters are not clogged, use your AP to check that the 'long term fuel trims' are all within +/- 5% or so. That would be a sign that there are no vacuum/boost leaks.

There is a banjo bolt with a filter in it on the driver side behind the timing belt cover. And the other one is bolted vertically behind the passenger side head. The thread that max provided should have all the info. You must check these to make sure they are not clogged. If they are clogged, they will starve the turbo from oil and it will eventually kill it (and maybe the engine too if not caught early).

Dumb question, but is the oil level at the full mark?

Also, once you have confirmed that both ocvs check out fine (which I think you did) and that the filters are not clogged, use your AP to check that the 'long term fuel trims' are all within +/- 5% or so. That would be a sign that there are no vacuum/boost leaks.

I actually only checked the ocv on the passenger side, i should probably check the other one too. I'll try to check the banjo bolt on the passenger tomorrow morning before i go to work since i don't go in until 2pm.

I guess it wasn't a dumb question at all since i haven't even checked it lol my dad always says that he checks it and tops it off as needed but i should absolutely confirm that.

Thanks for the tip on using fuel trims to check for vacuum leaks, i hadn't thought of that!

So this morning i pulled the banjo bolt behind the head on the passenger side. To my surprise the filter was still in the banjo bolt! I pulled the filter out and reinstalled.

I haven't even started the car yet because i checked the oil this morning too and it was a little low..... I didn't have time to get some before i left for work so I'll get some tonight on my lunch break and take it for a test drive either tonight when i get home or tomorrow morning. Hopefully there's less that 6 codes this time lol

Archived