LegacyGT.com

New owner to 05 legacy gt with 195k advice?

I recently purchase a 2005 legacy gt 5mt. The car was so clean and drove so nice that ignored the miles on the car. The car is completly stock from what I know at least engine wise. The clutch seems relatively new, grabs lower than any car from my past but it passed the 5th gear accelaration test with flying colors so I'm thinking that was replaced? I was told the turbo was replaced recently doesn't blow any smoke , leak any fluid and i don't smell anything burning, or weird noises from motor. I only have reciept on a thermostat and gasket being replaced a week before I bought it. I wanted to know how can/ what to look for, to see if or what was replaced on this car. It drives extremely smooth and has very very gd power. No check engine lights, seems like it was maintained very well but I can't help not staring at the mileage why I drive it lol. This was going to be my dd and doesn't show any sign of any problems or failures in sight. I got a gd deal in my eyes for the car seeing that the body is excellent condition nice shiny red paint with clean black leather. so wondering if I should jus flip it. The fan seems to kick on a lot at idle but other than that the car is fast smooth quiet and a head turner. I need advice on what to look for under the hood to see what was replaced since it seems like it was very well mantained. Any feed back would be useful thanks guys for reading.

Welcome to the forum.

You'll want to make sure coolant level is where it should be in the overflow tank.

Are both fans kicking on ?

Read the sticky's at the top of the different forums, you'll learn a lot.

Learn how to check the oil, keep it topped off, these all use oil.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

what Max said. take care of the upkeep and it will be good. I just unloaded my 05LGT with 270K on it a couple weeks back to guy in Florida. was a great car.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Why was the turbo recently replaced? There are cases where the turbo gives out, sending debris into the oil passages. If the turbo is the only thing replaced, the debris gets to hang out until it finds a nice bearing to destroy.

If you are able, get some history of the work done, and try to get a "Used Oil Analysis." Most use a company called Blackstone-Labs. They send you a free kit to capture and mail them a sample, $20-30 later they tell you what's circulating around your engine.

Don't flip it. An individual recently attempted this, it didn't exactly end as intended.

Why was the turbo recently replaced? There are cases where the turbo gives out, sending debris into the oil passages. If the turbo is the only thing replaced, the debris gets to hang out until it finds a nice bearing to destroy.

If you are able, get some history of the work done, and try to get a "Used Oil Analysis." Most use a company called Blackstone-Labs. They send you a free kit to capture and mail them a sample, $20-30 later they tell you what's circulating around your engine.

Don't flip it. An individual recently attempted this, it didn't exactly end as intended.

Welcome!

I would just enjoy the ownership and take away your negatives pertaining to the car. They are good to own,with proper care and maintenance, they will last a long time.

Go easy on the boost!

And yeah! no flipping...:lol:

Both fans kick on and seem to always go on when parked at idled. It also seems like the exhaust smokes a lil it could be jus condensation tho. It's not a lot only if I give it has when idle and maybe a lil I could see when accelerating. I check the coolant yesterday the overflow seemed low I topped it off and drove the car for gd amount of the day and the coolant level stayed the same if not there was more. Last owner said they jus replaced the thermastat a week ago. Also have a question is it bad to drive the car in no boost at all because I tend to drive stick at lower rpms? The cars a rocket and I'm surprised it has so much kick to it for the high miles I wouldn't be surprised if the motor was swap for a newer one or rebuilt. We had really shitty weather past few days so inhaler really hot a chance to take cover off and look. Turbo seems to start spoolin at 2800-3100 rpms and the car pulls wicked hard after 3000rpms. Is this normal and also is there any little things I could change yo this car for more power and reliability. The car also had all 4 wheel bearings replaced in the last 8k. Lil concern about the whitesh smoke from tail pipe but it also was 36 degrees raining today any tips orbadvice guys thanks

I'm saying the exhaust smoke is normal for the weather conditions.

3000rpm is where you should be close to full boost. So it will have good HP above that.

You'll want to get the car off the stock MAP ASAP. If your good with a lap top you can go open source tune, or buy a Cobb AP.

www.tuningalliance.com is who I use. He's one of the best with these cars.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

These cars are a blast to drive but require a lot of attention.

My wife loves ours with 194k owned since new. However its had some expensive work done like a burned valve and recently a power steering rack.

The way yours drives is normal. If it smokes once warmed up it may have problems.

I was jus being paranoid I think there's no smoke I think it was jus the weather we were having those few days being very cold and raining. There is one thing I'm concerned about tho not sure if it's normal. At wot or rapid accelerating I hear this wining noise, it's not very loud almost sounds like it's the turbo when it spools sounds like a super charger humming. I read threads and videos and it's deffinetly different from a turbo going bad. The car dos not lose any power seems like it's holding boost just fine also the turbo was replaced recently from the past owner. I describe the noise to my mechanic friend and he said its most deffinite a vacume leak or boost leak probably a line came loose. I peaked ard the car and couldn't find any I'm gonna have him check it out we he gets a chance this week. Almost sounds like a shitty sound system when the rca cables make that whine noise as the Rpms raise. It could be jus the noise of the turbo spooling. Where is a common place for a vacume leak. He first day I had the car I remember I could barley hear the turbo and I'm pretty sure it wasent making this noise other than that car seems mint. Doesn't leak coolant or oil or burn any fluid. These cars r so impressing I'm so surprised how fast my gt is and its completly stock I almost don't believe it could be lol. As far to my knowledge it is any help or advice where to look would be helpful thanks guys - from the NOOB !!!! Lol

No check engine light is on and of it is a leak it has to be resale small considering that the car seems to have no trouble holding boost the whole forced induction relatively new to me. I once owned a civic b20 vtec turbo and the car was insane fast ran 12 flat on drag radials if I had slicks I would of broke into 11a all day considering that the tires I had car was spinning in 3rd gear it was insane and I had nothing but problems with it fouling a plug every other day that's where my obsession with driving a turbo car began lol the car made 240 to wheels which insane for a civic hatch. I'm off topic but in the engine bay everything was right in front of u easy access not like these boxers which I can even see my turbo smh

The whine could be a PS pump going out, or idler pulley.

My wagon has been whining like you say, the new PS pump makes no noise, it was also masking a bad AC idler pulley.

Please write like we do.

It makes your post easier to read. Thanks

Archived