LegacyGT.com

Everyone should replace their PCV

For a $18 part from the dealership, and 30min of work, it cleaned up my idle, my car accelerates smoother, and has dramatically reduced the amount of smoke that comes out of my exhaust. Not sure if it will do anything for my oil consumption yet, but for that kind of money it seems like a no brainer.

For the record, mine, at 116k, was completely gunked up, with no rattle whatsoever.

For a $18 part from the dealership, and 30min of work, it cleaned up my idle, my car accelerates smoother, and has dramatically reduced the amount of smoke that comes out of my exhaust. Not sure if it will do anything for my oil consumption yet, but for that kind of money it seems like a no brainer.

For the record, mine, at 116k, was completely gunked up, with no rattle whatsoever.

$18.00 PCV hose assembly from a dealership?

And where?

OP has a non-turbo car. And I hate to say this because I don't want to sound negative, I just want to be honest. If you were having trouble with your idle and acceleration, I think it was from the vacuum hose going to the airbox being disconnected. That was allowing extra air into the engine that the maf sensor had not accounted for, and that can cause performance issues.

Yeah apexi, realise it could be that too, just glad to have found two different things that could be causing problems and fixed them...... today my bloody dash airbag light started coming on though....going to have to do the solder fix next. It's a bit perverse, but I kind of like having all these things to fix on an older car that I never had on my 2013 elantra....as long as they are all cheap!

My long freeway trip this weekend may be cancelled, so may not get an update on the oil usage until the week after, i just got a gallon of 10W40 too, but don't really want to use it before i see if the hose and PCV alterations solve it!

I replaced mine, a long time ago and it most certainly eased some of my oil burnage at that time. Now I have deleted the PCV in favor of IAG race AOS. (awesome product)

super easy to change, good preventative maintenance. the valve doesn't last forever.

Archived