• 2.5i - over 1 quart
    • 3.6r - 1/2 quart or less
    • 3.6r - 1/2 to 1 quart
    • 3.6r - over 1 quart

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lscmark. So you go 6k between changes and the oil level is at the full mark ?

Was it always this way for all the changes? or did it get better with more mileage ?

I'm at 23k and have noticed about 1/2 quart low.

Thanks,

• 5 weeks later...
It would be better if the poll included a "none" category.

I change my oil at 6k and have never seen the dipstick below full. The oil is also very clean. I suspect that not needing to add oil is the norm.

I've never like to see oil come out of an engine looking new. It means its

not working to keep deposits out of the engine. Even normal combustion by

products should cause the oil to darken somewhat.

I've never like to see oil come out of an engine looking new. It means its

not working to keep deposits out of the engine. Even normal combustion by

products should cause the oil to darken somewhat.

This true to an extent but it doesn't concern me one bit. Today's modern engines are so much more efficient than engines of even five years ago that the left over deposits are getting so miniscule that they hardly affect the appearance of the oil at all.

My engine oil doesn't look out of the bottle new but it's not far off. And I never have to add any between changes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...

Both my Subies ( spell checking :spin:) the H-4, H-6 been just fine.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul[emoji16]

Edited by Yoda_One
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

• 2 weeks later...

My Legacy currently sits at 78k. I've gone from using it as my company car to having it be my wife's around town car.

As my company car it frequently saw 1000 miles a week and 90% usually at speeds between 70-80 mph. I believe around town speaks for itself.

When cruising those at higher speeds for long distances I was adding at least a 1/2 quart between every oil change. Now that it's around town mostly I am not adding any oil.

Just one person's observations, your mileage may vary...

• 3 months later...
Update from my situation. I wass told that i needed 2 oil light in between 2 oil change to have my warranty case ''registered''. I went from doing 8000 km to 6000 in the last 30 000, but it light up yesterday for the second time in-between 2. This means that the car took about 2.5 liters in 10 000km. So at 40 000km as of today, I'm waiting for a new short block under warranty...

Thanks for the update. It's hard to know what's causing those breakdowns in some cars but not in others. Let us know what they discover.

My last change in Oct at about 26,000 mi required no oil added.

Edited by waldguy

2nd oil change completed few weeks back ... full synthetic both times; 1st time had the additive added on a coupon for 0 up charge.

Include your cylinders(if not in your signature/profile): 4cyl 2.5i

Odometer: 12,100

miles driven between: nearly 6,000

Quarts added: 0

driving style (easy, moderate, aggressive): Easy / mixed 90% ; spirited/ heavy acceleration 10% - usually merging, ramps, turns, passing the semi's that cant stay in own lane due to shitty road surface on interstates in Illinois

Full engine operating temp (sometimes, usually, almost always): Almost Always

• 1 year later...

Odometer: 25,647

Miles driven between: ~5,500

Quarts added: 1 quart

driving style (easy, moderate, aggressive): Moderate

Full engine operating temp (sometimes, usually, almost always): Sometimes

Lifetime mpg or L/100 km: 20.4 MPG

So I've had my 3.6R for over a year and I've taken it to see the dealership over 12 times due to low oil and scheduled maintenance. After raising my concern to Subaru of America (SOA), they suggested that I take my vehicle to the retailer and start a oil consumption test.

During a Oil Consumption test: A new oil change is completed to the vehicle and the customer is to drive the vehicle 1,200 miles. Then return to the retailer to measure the oil burned. If the vehicle has burned over 10.3 oz per 1,200 miles, the vehicle has FAILED the consumption test.

My Results?

FAILED.

During the test the Check Engine Light flickered once and the oil light also turned on a few times. My drive is mainly in the city, with a few trips on the highway on a weekly basis. Not much of a racer, but I love an occasional WOT on an on-ramp.

I'm working with SOA and I'll keep you updated on what they say.

*ANY TIPS ON WHAT TO EXPECT IS APPRECIATED

Edited by &dr3w

Odometer: 25,647

Miles driven between: ~5,500

Quarts added: 1 quart

driving style (easy, moderate, aggressive): Moderate

Full engine operating temp (sometimes, usually, almost always): Sometimes

Lifetime mpg or L/100 km: 20.4 MPG

So I've had my 3.6R for over a year and I've taken it to see the dealership over 12 times due to low oil and scheduled maintenance. After raising my concern to Subaru of America (SOA), they suggested that I take my vehicle to the retailer and start a oil consumption test.

During a Oil Consumption test: A new oil change is completed to the vehicle and the customer is to drive the vehicle 1,200 miles. Then return to the retailer to measure the oil burned. If the vehicle has burned over 10.3 oz per 1,200 miles, the vehicle has FAILED the consumption test.

My Results?

FAILED.

During the test the Check Engine Light flickered once and the oil light also turned on a few times. My drive is mainly in the city, with a few trips on the highway on a weekly basis. Not much of a racer, but I love an occasional WOT on an on-ramp.

I'm working with SOA and I'll keep you updated on what they say.

*ANY TIPS ON WHAT TO EXPECT IS APPRECIATED ��

Can't speak for anyone else's experience, but I had my engine block replace under warranty.

That being said, I actually had to send a cease and desist letter to Subaru Canada threatening to sue them if they did not replace the block.

Then again, my oil consumption was much less critical than your case seems.