LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

From FB, I saw that IAG is getting into the clutch fork game. Anyone here with knowledge about materials that can explain the difference between this one and the Verus one?

IAG uses 4140 chromoly

Verus uses 4130

https://www.iagperformance.com/IAG-Chromoly-Clutch-Fork-Pivot-Pin-Subaru-WRX-p/iag-drv-3000.htm

4140 is stronger. e4eab389cd4944562573953af5366660.jpg

Wish you had found that a week earlier...

Yes, 4140 is stronger compared to 4130. That means walls can be thinner, ideally making the whole part lighter, which could definitely benefit it.

Not sure how the comparison works out between billet 4140 (what that looks like) and forged 4130 though.

Decent deal too considering it comes with the pivot ball. That makes it cheaper than the verus set.

In the grand scheme of things, anything stronger than the stock fork is better. Mine is back to it's barn door impersonation. I need to lube it up again. Why can't someone make one with a lubeable pivot (like with a grease zerk)? That would be the real innovation.

In the grand scheme of things, anything stronger than the stock fork is better. Mine is back to it's barn door impersonation. I need to lube it up again. Why can't someone make one with a lubeable pivot (like with a grease zerk)? That would be the real innovation.

Because invariably some ashat would pump the bell-housing full of grease...

The strength thing should be caveated - 4140 can be stronger than 4130, but it depends largely on the temper of the material as well as how it's been processed. You also want to be looking at yield strength rather than ultimate tensile strength, as well (UTS is when the part fails under mechanical load - so that's after the material has yielded and plastically deformed (i.e., bent)) - a forged part would almost certainly have a higher yield strength than a quench and tempered part, but again - that's only part of the equation - fatigue resistance, etc. is also important (4140 is generally a bit better in that respect)

So the time finally came a few weeks ago. A/C was flipping the breaker. They came out to test it and the capacitor was out of spec. With the A/C and Furnace being 21 years old we decided to replace it. $6700 later and we have a new Carrier A/C and Furnace. 96% efficiency. Feels good now to not have to worry anymore, especially dead of winter wondering when the furnace is gonna kick the bucket.

Payoff quote on the Legacy is $8100. Trying to get it paid off so I can save up for a Miata, lol. HVAC put us behind. We split the cost though so shouldn't take long to get there.

Knock on wood, our Heat pump was installed in 1996 and aside from condenser fans and a few mishaps on my part and weather related issues, it still cools and heats great and isn't terribly inefficient.

We have an old Ruud unit, which allegedly are hard to kill as long as they are charged correctly.

We installed a Carrier system at our last house, loved it. Remember to register your new system on Carriers website within 90 days to extend the warranty from five to ten years.

Had our 1998 system in our current house serviced a couple weeks ago. Tech said the refrigerant will be discontinued Jan 1st 2020. After that if the sealed system fails we have to replace it.

We replaced our two AC units, air handlers, etc. a few years ago - they were 19 years old, and aside from a few random repairs I had to do (replacing startup capacitors, etc.) they were still working - we went with a SEER 21 rated system, figuring it's better to replace on our terms (when we can shop for price, still have a functioning system, etc.) than being forced to act quickly when it fails. Went from an old SEER 8 or something like that system. Newer systems are interesting - they seem to run all the time, but ours has continuously variable compressors and air handlers - first month, I was watching them and thinking "oh man, this is going to hurt" - but was pleasantly surprised to see our summer power bills go down by 50% or more!!! They aren't cheap (it's like buying a car!) but they are awesome.

My 27 year old A/C unit went out two weeks ago and we replaced it with a new Trane.

They told me they couldn't get new parts for the 27 year old Carrier we had, but said the 27 year old furnace should be good to go for a while because they can get plenty of parts for it. It's only an 80% unit, but that's fine for now.

A couple weeks ago, I got a settlement for my bicycle accident that happen last year. I used some of the settlement to pay back money that I borrowed from my dad to avoid PMI on my house while going through my divorce. With the leftover settlement money leftover, I decided to invest most of it in the market. In my 20's I was pretty good saver and I did some smart investing. I want to try to get back that model.

In addition to the settlement, my finances have greatly improved since my divorce 2 1/2 years ago, so recently I have been running a decent monthly budget surplus. I have enough money from the settlement to pay off my Legacy GT's loan, but I decided to invest it instead (My interest rate on my loan is 3.8%). I am going to continue to make extra payments on my car loan and give myself a goal to pay it off using my budget surpluses.

I'm back from road-tripping! I started July 2nd in Denver and flew back from Seattle on July 16th.

I did the following;

Flatiron/ Royal arch trails

Royal Gorge bridge

Seven Falls

Clear Creek River rafting

Downtown Denver fireworks (July 4th)

Bryce canyon

Astronomy night tour

Zion national Park: Angel's landing & part of The Narrows trails

Hoover Dam tour

Grand Canyon West tour (& sky-walk)

Vegas strip

Yosemite National Park: Mist & Half Dome trials

San-Francisco: Golden Gate bridge, Ferry tour, Exploratorium (Adam Savage was there!), Aquarium, California Academy of Sciences

Whale watching in Monterrey bay

Portland: Pittock Mansion, Vista House, Multnomah Falls

Seattle: Space Needle, Boeing Factory tour, Underground Seattle tours, Pikes Place Market, Starbucks Reserve, Kerry Park.

3,500 miles total. Total costs roughly $3,500. Pics to follow!

Transport

Frontier 125

American 202

Uber 33

Rental 1150

Accommodations

Denver x3 104

Bryce 60

Vegas x2 85

Yosemite x2 80

SanFran x3 112

Portland 50

Seattle x2 75

Gas, Food, & Fees

~92 gallons 280

30/day 450

Tolls 20

Parking Sanfran 25

Parking Seattle 22

Paid Activities

Water Rafting 55

Royal Bridge 25

Seven falls 25

Botanical Gardens 10

Astronomy tour 37

Hoover dam tour 30

Grand Canyon West 88

Nat Park pass 80

San Fran City Pass 100

Whale Watching 35

Pittock Mansion 12

Space Needle 35

Boeing tour 25

Seattle Tours 50

Edited by ibr_adam09

So the time finally came a few weeks ago. A/C was flipping the breaker. They came out to test it and the capacitor was out of spec. With the A/C and Furnace being 21 years old we decided to replace it. $6700 later and we have a new Carrier A/C and Furnace. 96% efficiency. Feels good now to not have to worry anymore, especially dead of winter wondering when the furnace is gonna kick the bucket.

Payoff quote on the Legacy is $8100. Trying to get it paid off so I can save up for a Miata, lol. HVAC put us behind. We split the cost though so shouldn't take long to get there.

Depending on what your furnace is burning and how much it costs, you’ll be happy to know that going from an old one to a new one is quite a bit cheaper on an ongoing basis. My uncle had a 30yr old oil furnace that was 80% efficient and replaced it with a much better one (93%?). He projected the fuel savings would pay for the new furnace completely in seven years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm back from road-tripping! I started July 2nd in Denver and flew back from Seattle on July 16th.

I did the following;

Very thorough. I think you just submitted an expense report. :)

Sounds like you had a great trip.

Am in Bilbao on the north coast of Spain for two weeks of meetings. Had a day off on Sunday so decided to rent a car with some friends and drive around. Headed first to the Rioja region just south of the Basque Country. On the way we took improved highway/tollway. One interesting vignette: a police van merged onto the highway and was running at the speed limit (some arbitrarily low speed that made me grumpy) so I hung back in the middle of three lanes, while the police van kept to the right. After several klicks the van moved in front of me and turned on the rear-facing light bar with blue lights that pulsed from left to right. The van then moved back to the right lane. We discussed and reached a group conclusion that this was weird. Before I reacted the van did it again, at which point we both moved right. Then the van took off. There was zero other traffic so it was apparently a lesson I was taught on principle. So, keep right in Spain, everyone!

We had a mid-morning tour scheduled at Marques de Riscal, a large-scale producer that has a Gehry-designed main building and decent wine (mostly temporanillo, but they have a grandfathered exception to the DOC production rules for some cab). Afterwards we headed to the town of Laguardia for lunch. Fantastic, well-preserved town on a hilltop with amazing views around the Rioja region. An absolutely delicious and inexpensive lunch was followed by a trip north, though this time we headed through the mountains on secondary roads. We encountered some sick switchbacks and amazing views. Would have been great to have the LGT with me, but I think my passengers would have lost their lunches. As we headed north we drove through some surprisingly industrial towns that explained why the region’s economy has been so strong and, arguably, has been carrying the rest of the country for a few decades.

We ended up hitting some coastal and port towns around Bermeo and headed west along the coast before having pinxtos in Bakio and then turning back south to Bilbao. We stopped at what we thought would be a cool spot with a long hike to a hermitage on an almost-island connected by a thin spit, but it turns out it was a location for a scene from Game of Thrones and it was mobbed, so we bailed. Saw a black bear-sized wild boar crossing the road and climbing up a fairly steep hillside. Note: don’t walk around in the wild at night in Spain.

It was a great day with one exception: the car. I rented from Sixt and ended up with a Renault Captur, a 4-door crossover with a 5-speed manual and, wait for it, an 0.9 liter turbo gasoline motor. Absolutely no power. So bad in the mountains that I had to essentially be winding it out all the time. Another note: never buy a rental car. Trans shifting was numb and the clutch pedal was so squishy that it hardly felt like it was connected to anything at all. Impossible to find the take-up spot on the travel other than by extra-sensory perception. I can understand why people might no longer want a manual if that’s what they think they all feel like. Disappointing, but I am going to STFU about complaints regarding our 6MT.