LegacyGT.com

Isolating bad differential bearings

So far, all the advice I've gotten from this form has been spot-on. Right now you guys are 10 for 10 call respective to the advice given to my problems. So let's see if we can do 11 for 11. I continue to have a small to moderate humming noise coming from the rear end of the car. It's neither wheel bearing, so isolated it to the bearings in the differential. My question is this. Is there a way you can isolate or determine which one of the bearings is actually bad?

Sent from my SM-A015AZ using Tapatalk

Not to sound this way but wouldn't you just rebuild the entire unit while you're in there....? Does it matter if just one bearing is bad. The rest are probably not far behind due to lack of fluid changes most likely.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Yeah you are correct. If it is, in fact, the differential bearings, I would do all the bearings while I had it down and cracked open. But what I was referring to is isolating the problem from the transmission bearings versus the differential bearings. I just recently replaced the center propeller shaft so that is not the root cause. I acquired the car at 150k, in the fluids were in good shape when I got the car. I've maintained a fairly regular maintenance cycle on all parts, so I think it's just a matter of time before these things go. It's got almost 200,000 miles on it now

Also, are you sure its the diff and not the trans, or the driveshaft center support bearing?
No, I'm not sure. However, that's my whole question here. How do I tell whether it's the differential, versus transmission. It's definitely not the center propeller shaft and those carrier bearings there. I just recently replace that whole assembly

Not to sound this way but wouldn't you just rebuild the entire unit while you're in there....? Does it matter if just one bearing is bad. The rest are probably not far behind due to lack of fluid changes most likely.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I thought about driving it around for a little bit and then checking the temperature at you bearings in both the transmission in the differential. You think that would provide some data? You think that if there's an excessive heat buildup at those locations at maybe the culprit?

No, I'm not sure. However, that's my whole question here. How do I tell whether it's the differential, versus transmission. It's definitely not the center propeller shaft and those carrier bearings there. I just recently replace that whole assembly

if you can get the car fully up on jack stands or on a lift and have someone put the car in gear and recreate the nose, you can be under the car with a screwdriver to your ear listening to the diff and trans to see if you can isolate the noise. this works for wheel bearings too. just be carful of the moving parts. if you dont feel comfortable doing this, you can have a shop do an hr of diag time to do it for you.

if you can get the car fully up on jack stands or on a lift and have someone put the car in gear and recreate the nose, you can be under the car with a screwdriver to your ear listening to the diff and trans to see if you can isolate the noise. this works for wheel bearings too. just be carful of the moving parts. if you dont feel comfortable doing this, you can have a shop do an hr of diag time to do it for you.
I do have access to a vertical lift, however, I'm not familiar with the screwdriver procedure that you speak of. Can you elaborate a little further?