LegacyGT.com

Removing the extra ride height from USDM OB

I'll put my question up top and go into details afterwards for anyone who cares to read on.

Can I use a complete set of '04 dampers and springs to lower my '08 by approximately 1" to achieve the ride height the rest of the world got?

Forgive me if this has been covered somewhere before. I'm 80% of the way through the 80+ page suspension FAQ thread on Outback.org and haven't seen anything conclusive on this.

Consensus seems to be that if you're unhappy with the floaty stock damping on the gen 3 and don't want to spend the $ for the JDM Bilstein kit or deal with coilovers on your DD, then the gen 2 KYBs with gen 3 springs (stock or overload, depending on use of the car) are a reasonable solution.

Since the gen 2 OB rides roughly an inch lower than the gen 3, I'm wondering if using the gen 2 springs as well will reduce my ride height. I realize I'll still need gen 3 front top hats and that the lighter curb weight of the gen 3 means I won't get the full effect.

So is the lower ride height of the gen 2 all in the strut/spring package or are there mounting point differences that will keep me at 3rd gen ride height no matter what?