LegacyGT.com

2013 A good used car?

I am looking at a used 2013 Legacy. It's the Premium model with the 2.5 engine. Is this generally considered a good car? Consumer Reports gives it a much above average rating but thought I'd check here too.

Some additional background:

• It's one owner
  • It was originally sold at a Subaru dealer in my town, had all maintenance done there (per Carfax), and is now being sold as a used car at that dealer
  • Based on that, I assume the owners were happy with it as they went back to that dealer and another Subaru

The dealer includes a 30 day warranty on it for what appears to be everything and another 30 days for powertrain.

I've had a bunch of Legacy's & Outbacks but just wanted to check here for any known problems.

Thanks!

I am looking at a used 2013 Legacy. It's the Premium model with the 2.5 engine. Is this generally considered a good car? Consumer Reports gives it a much above average rating but thought I'd check here too.

Some additional background:

• It's one owner
  • It was originally sold at a Subaru dealer in my town, had all maintenance done there (per Carfax), and is now being sold as a used car at that dealer
  • Based on that, I assume the owners were happy with it as they went back to that dealer and another Subaru

The dealer includes a 30 day warranty on it for what appears to be everything and another 30 days for powertrain.

I've had a bunch of Legacy's & Outbacks but just wanted to check here for any known problems.

Thanks!

I have the exact same car, same model and everything. My mother drove it for years, then once I got my license she gave it to me and she got a newer car. It's a great car, especially the gas mileage. It does the job, with a very good amount of room inside and in the trunk. It sounds like the car you mentioned was taken care of. I also take my '13 Legacy to my Subaru dealership to have work done on it. How many miles are on the car?

I have the exact same car, same model and everything. My mother drove it for years, then once I got my license she gave it to me and she got a newer car. It's a great car, especially the gas mileage. It does the job, with a very good amount of room inside and in the trunk. It sounds like the car you mentioned was taken care of. I also take my '13 Legacy to my Subaru dealership to have work done on it. How many miles are on the car?

Well we bought it and it's in the garage so hoping it's good! We've had good luck with Legacy's & Outback's before. There are just under 66 k miles on it.

It's a great car! They made a few minor upgrades that year - timing chain (not belt) and improved reliability of the transmission. A few others but those are the main ones.

That said, I despise the automatic trans on this car. It's pretty sluggish and just not very fun to drive. I'm coming from an older leggy 5MT which was not quick by any means! But you can really feel the extra size these cars have put on. Also changing the headlights is a pain. Everything else has been amazing. Handles like a champ in snow and is a super comfy ride.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Well we bought it and it's in the garage so hoping it's good! We've had good luck with Legacy's & Outback's before. There are just under 66 k miles on it.

That's just starting to break in the car lol. Wish you nothing but the best with your newest addition!

It's a great car! They made a few minor upgrades that year - timing chain (not belt) and improved reliability of the transmission. A few others but those are the main ones.

That said, I despise the automatic trans on this car. It's pretty sluggish and just not very fun to drive. I'm coming from an older leggy 5MT which was not quick by any means! But you can really feel the extra size these cars have put on. Also changing the headlights is a pain. Everything else has been amazing. Handles like a champ in snow and is a super comfy ride.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Ugh on the headlights. I totally forgot about that design FLAW. We owned a 2011 Legacy. Our daughter did a road test for her driver's license in it. The night before (a Sunday at about 7 PM), I noticed a headlight is burned out. The state won't let you test with any bulbs burned out. No biggie I think, run to the auto parts store, grab a bulb. Then I figured out HOW to change the bulb. I turned the wheel and went up through the wheel well. Of course, it was a hot / humid night and the mosquitos were out in force. I got the old bulb out. My wife's hands were small enough to finesse the new bulb in. But, seriously, there has got to be a better design.

That's just starting to break in the car lol. Wish you nothing but the best with your newest addition!

Thank you. I appreciate your feedback on the vehicle and best of luck with yours as well.

Ugh on the headlights. I totally forgot about that design FLAW. We owned a 2011 Legacy. Our daughter did a road test for her driver's license in it. The night before (a Sunday at about 7 PM), I noticed a headlight is burned out. The state won't let you test with any bulbs burned out. No biggie I think, run to the auto parts store, grab a bulb. Then I figured out HOW to change the bulb. I turned the wheel and went up through the wheel well. Of course, it was a hot / humid night and the mosquitos were out in force. I got the old bulb out. My wife's hands were small enough to finesse the new bulb in. But, seriously, there has got to be a better design.

Yup I know your pain, as I did it the same way. The only other way that is "easier" to change the bulbs is by taking off the whole front bumper...

Just beware of that some of 2013 Legacy 2.5i had oil burning issues. If its under 100k miles, I think it is still under the extended engine warranty. The CVT transmission is also under a different extended 100k mile warranty as well, but those failures were not that common for 2013.

Just beware of that some of 2013 Legacy 2.5i had oil burning issues. If its under 100k miles, I think it is still under the extended engine warranty. The CVT transmission is also under a different extended 100k mile warranty as well, but those failures were not that common for 2013.

I'm not sure about "burning oil", but I have heard about "excessive consuption". There was a settlement from Subaru about them having to fix that free of charge. Even if it requires changing the whole engine, they have to do it. CVT is also the same thing. If there is an issue, they have to fix it free of charge. Both have to occur under 100K Miles or a certain amount of years. I uploaded the files for you.

CVT Warranty Extension.pdf

Subaru Oil Settlement Agreement.pdf

Edited by Alexmed2002

• 2 weeks later...

I have pretty much the same vehicle. The only thing I dislike is the CVT (This is my first CVT). Overall I got used to it (lack of power) and now it does not bother me anymore. Also I do have to put a quart of oil in about the 3.5-4.0k mile mark.

For the CVT trans fluid. I already changed mine out along with the front and rear diff.

I have HIDs in mine but did the same exact way turn the wheel and went up thru the fender.

Edited by amusa