LegacyGT.com

alternative to OEM driveshaft replacement

I believe I have a faulty ujoint on my driveshaft. I know I could get a used OEM driveshaft from the junkyard. I can also buy a brand new OEM driveshaft from the dealer but $$$.

Any other alternatives you know of besides trying to rebuild the ujoint (as I have seen on a few youtube videos) ?

What about these Dorman driveshaft like this one Any good?

One more question :spin:. It appears that the early BL/BP model has a slightly different driveshaft. Is this true? Cause the above Dorman example clearly specifies 06-09, not the 05... I need one for an 05 OBXT manual trans.

Come on now...you've been here long enough to know about JmP's sticky up top with a link to driveshafts.

I'm sure the Dorman will fit your car. I few years back NAPA sold me that one for my wagon, it didn't fit as it was for a Outback not a Legacy GT. The length was good but the carrier bearing for a XT is taller then on a GT.

Did a google search and found it,

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/propeller-shaft-my-story-246593.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

:lol:

I did not know he had a sticky. I will check it out.

I did see your thread a couple of days ago. Still was not clear which one I should get.

I just contacted the Dorman folks about the one I linked above and they believe that it does not fit my car. He asked me for the subaru part number and he will get back to me. looks like mine is 27111AG14A.

Here are the Dorman shafts with replaceable U joints.

Dorman 936-955 is the 5mt driveshaft.

936-954 is the 5eat's.

Found them for about $315.00 on Rock Auto

So, with what you said in post #2 above, the one you are referring to should not fit due to the carrier bearing. Dorman page says fit legacy gt. Not my car :(.

That’s not for a legacy gt or outback xt

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Go one piece and get rid of the center support bearing

That'd be nice but it's not worth it (going on the 'family' car).

That’s not for a legacy gt or outback xt

yeah, I see on the picture a third u-joint. But it does say that it is a direct replacement to part number 27111AG14A. I sent them an email. Will see what they say...

I was doing a 6mt swap to it was an auto that I was after and there were several <100k options, even here in NM where we don't have a lot of options for anything. assumed it would be similar for 5mt, but I guess not. bummer

Putting this here for reference:

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/465866-driveshaft-u-joint-replacement.html

And this just in case: https://www.wholesaleimportparts.com/Subaru_Legacy_Driveshaft_2005.php

Somehow, I am getting really motivated to get a 20T press and replace the joints as per the above thread (see 2nd to last post). I also have to swap four LCA bushings anyway. So might as well...

Putting this here for reference:

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/465866-driveshaft-u-joint-replacement.html

And this just in case: https://www.wholesaleimportparts.com/Subaru_Legacy_Driveshaft_2005.php

Somehow, I am getting really motivated to get a 20T press and replace the joints as per the above thread (see 2nd to last post). I also have to swap four LCA bushings anyway. So might as well...

Good find. I actually just swapped my driveshaft yesterday with the used shaft from Gex's LGT wagon. I plan on replacing the u-joints on my driveshaft since it is out now. My local autozone has the 2-0430DL ujoints in stock so I plan on picking two up today.

Good find. I actually just swapped my driveshaft yesterday with the used shaft from Gex's LGT wagon. I plan on replacing the u-joints on my driveshaft since it is out now. My local autozone has the 2-0430DL ujoints in stock so I plan on picking two up today.

You had mentioned on the "Today" thread that your u-joints seemed a bit notchy. If they are at all notchy, then they are bad. They should be smooth and a bit stiff to move back and forth in the pressed in side of the yoke.

Once you have them out, you'll most likely see some grooves where the needles had worn into the u-joint bearing surface. If this is the case, it's definitely the problems you were having.

I recall when I took my transmission apart (1.5 years ago), I briefly checked the ujoint (which goes in the trans). It moved freely but was a bit notchy too. Now (~15k later), the car has a crazy vibration under load during a specific rpm range particularly at low speed. After that, it is not as bad.

I shot a video of it. I'll try to post it later.

Edited by xt2005bonbon

• 1 month later...
rhino6303, have you started rebuilding your drive shaft yet? I've been lazy lately, but I need to fix this. Getting quite annoying now. Problem is each time I get motivated to buy that press at HF, each time they don't have it in stock...

rhino6303, have you started rebuilding your drive shaft yet? I've been lazy lately, but I need to fix this. Getting quite annoying now. Problem is each time I get motivated to buy that press at HF, each time they don't have it in stock...
Sorry but no. I have the u-joints though. My wife and I had our second kiddo a couple of weeks ago and we're putting our house on the market next week so I'm swamped.

Congrats!

Totally understand (third kiddo is 'checking in' in about 2 months for us). No worries. When you have a minute, could you post again the tools that you are going to use to do this job. I recall you saying that you are going to use different tools than the HF press.

• 3 weeks later...

Been keeping track of this, My buddy at ISP says that A1 driveshaft in Baltimore makes all of his driveshafts ( steel 1 piece )

I am going to check pricing on that soon, definitely want the 1 piece, it really woke up and smoothed out my IS300 ( 2 piece also ) I got that one from DSS, but took a lot "adjustment" to not rub anything. Where in MD are you located? I am south of Baltimore.