LegacyGT.com

Options for a QUIET clutch

I did a huge amount of forum searching and haven't really found an answer to my problem.

I know most folks (including my old mechanic) recommend a switch to SMFWs. I had my DMFW and clutch changed to an Exedy/06 WRX setup about 5-6 years ago. I immediately noticed a stark increase in NVH at lower RPMs (and the decel chatter), as well as a more metallic sound at low-load around 3000/4000RPMs, and it has bothered me since.

It's time for me to do another clutch job, I'd like to either switch back to the DMFW or a quieter option.

Just wondering if any of you have any thoughts on:

1) whether there is a quieter SMFW setup (ex: does 6 spring vs 4 spring make a difference?)

2) what options I have for a more reliable DMFW setup (or if OEM is the only way to go).

3) Car is now at Stage 2 and will be going for a conservative VF52 tune (maybe 260whp, stock fueling). Will the stock DMFW setup handle this?

4) Other options for preserving OEM smoothness/quietness

Edited by cvince

People love to go with a better exedy clutch and fly. With your power level you will be fine with a better exedy and light fly. I always prefer a stage 2 and light fly wheels. I am going with spec clutch and fly. get rid of that dual mass fly man. this is all if your pockets are nice if not a stock will be fine at that power as long as you can drive good.

People love to go with a better exedy clutch and fly. With your power level you will be fine with a better exedy and light fly. I always prefer a stage 2 and light fly wheels. I am going with spec clutch and fly. get rid of that dual mass fly man. this is all if your pockets are nice if not a stock will be fine at that power as long as you can drive good.

I'm currently with an Exedy (not sure what model) and 06 WRX fly and to me it's a little harsh and makes the car sound boomy. I liked the smooth stock feel and sound and not crazy about racing the clutch or anything. I treat the car as more of a cruiser and dont need perfect rev-matching.

I'm running a south bend stage 2 endurance on my 05 gt and a Act HDSS on my 08 spec b, never had a issue with chatter or anything like that.

Did you notice a large decrease in damping on the low end with either of them (<1500rpm)? Or are they roughly the same?

First thing I noticed when I put the WRX/Exedy in was decel chatter (faint, but still noticeable enough to be annoying to me). Engine also transmits a lot more vibration than stock (you probably need to drive one with the stock DMFW to tell the difference though)

I have noticed recently that Spec Clutch has added a "driveability" option for their 2+ clutch. I have not contacted them about what that is but if you contact them, you can ask. I have found them very helpful over the many years I have been using their clutches.

IMO you don't want to go DMFW with your HP.

My wagon currently has a 07-09 Legacy GT SMFW and has the same decel noise as it did with the Spec LWFW which has a replaceable friction surface. That LWFW was installed by the Dealership back about 92,000 miles on the car. Spec overnighted it to the dealership back in the day.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

https://www.specclutch.com/cars/Subaru/Legacy/2008/Single

You can see that option here.

I notice if you check the 05-06 Legacy GT the LWFW is different, I assume that's because of the Torx T50+ bolts. you can get the 07-09 LWFW if you want and just buy the hex head FW bolts for it. I still have the OEM T50+ bolts in the shed with that LWFW.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Did you notice a large decrease in damping on the low end with either of them (<1500rpm)? Or are they roughly the same?

Not really no, the only differences are really the south bend has a lighter pedal and the act is a much heavier pedal. It's great fun switching cars when I have to:lol:

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

I find it interesting you had issues with the smfw. Maybe that's the noise all of us hear?

The 07-09 all came with smfw and that's what I put on mine. Well the exedy. I thought the reason that everyone went to smfw from the dmfw was because the dual mass had a tendency to explode or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk