LegacyGT.com

Anyone know what these rubber gromments are?

Found these the other day in the spare tire area. Instructions say that they should be installed pre-delivery. From the image on the plastic, I looked under there and found no hole or other rubber grommets...

Nothing is dripping or leaking, but figured they would serve their purpose better where they are supposed to go vs in the trunk :)

IMG_20180321_1654367.thumb.jpg.bab70412bee8fde4da7932aceee5a203.jpg

IMG_20180321_1654430.thumb.jpg.d6d727eb0dd19eb86fbc7dbad2c314ad.jpg

IMG_20180321_1655096.thumb.jpg.2b84f79af705037bda9916c694594117.jpg

The dealer is supposed to have installed them during the pre-delivery inspection:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/attachments/gen-5-2015-present/206586d1443539222-2016-outback-tiedown-grommets-subaru_tiedown_grommet.gif

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

The dealer is supposed to have installed them during the pre-delivery inspection:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/attachments/gen-5-2015-present/206586d1443539222-2016-outback-tiedown-grommets-subaru_tiedown_grommet.gif

Thanks! But I didn't find any hole in that area. Do you know if it is on the side skirt or if I need to remove the skirt to access this?

When my car was delivered, I purposely opened the trunk and pulled these grommets out and said to my saleman(I knew where they went) "what are these for?" he said " I have never seen those before. I said don't worry ill take care of it and installed them myself.

Found the spot. I was looking for it on the skirt. The hole was farther in on the metal body.

40k miles later, but at least they are where they need to be rather than the trunk.

Thanks to everyone that responded!

IMG_20180327_1630013.thumb.jpg.992813516db993b027664c9fecbab173.jpg

IMG_20180327_1629221.thumb.jpg.c35ab18a0d30f0c6df25d50898fdfee0.jpg

We recently started putting them in the glove box in the factory. We get a discussion planner if they aren’t in there or move them and not put them back! That’s BS the dealers aren’t installing them!!!

This may be off topic but do you know if the 2.4 engine from the Ascent can be swapped into the Legacy? :hide:

We recently started putting them in the glove box in the factory. We get a discussion planner if they aren’t in there or move them and not put them back! That’s BS the dealers aren’t installing them!!!

The glove box is probably a better spot. They will get noticed as soon as you pick up the car and put your papers in there. Even if its a couple of thousand miles before you figure out where exactly they go. At the lest you'll have more people ask the dealers what these things are.

Ah...now iirc, there was a small clear package in the glove box that they did not know what it was at delivery...I need to go back and check if it was this.

Anyone know why these are not installed at the factory? I cannot understand this, but there must be a reason why.

Edit: I didn’t realize they are tie down points for when the vehicles are trailered to the dealers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
I bought a 2016 CPO and these are sitting in the trunk. I haven't bothered crawling under my car to install them yet. So apparently the dealer didn't install them, the 1st owner didn't bother, and the dealership again didn't bother when doing the cpo inspection. LOL. Still it's not as bad as the CPO mazdas I looked at which at 3 different dealerships almost all were missing the tow hooks and at least 1 of the tow hook cover plates. Dealers don't instill much confidence. Or maybe if it does cost rust not having them, they do it on purpose.

Archived