LegacyGT.com

Question on Class II Trailer Hitch for Second Gen Lego's

Alright my fellow Second Gen fans here's the question:

Can said class II trailer hinge from a 97' Outback wagon be attached to a 99' BD Legacy sedan? I don't want to buy it unless I know it's going to fit. I really need this to move small items in a move. Subies can do anything you know!!

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee134/Rubenjc111/21567FC3.jpg

Thank you in advance to anyone that has real experience on this subject matter.

-Texas

yes it should fit, the width is right. the only concern is the charcoal canister on the 99 (also on the 98) located on the right rear under the car. it has to be dropped down to get the hitch installed. or so i hear. not hard but more work than if you were installing it on a 97.

you just have to drop it down out of the way during the install and bolt it back up after. there isn't enough room to slide the hitch into place with the canister there.

if the hitch does not come with the mounting hardware, especially yhe bolts that go thru / into the frame towards the front of the car, you need to get them. i would get them from a hitch manufacturer. the bolts or the nuts, which ever, the top side of them is located inside the rectangular frame tube. there is no wrench access. there is no hand access. there is barely any visual access.

i used a coat hanger wire to drop the bolts down thru the hole from the top side. you have to reach in from the rear like you are fishing to get it in the bolt hole. and the bolt has to have some thing on it to keep it from turning, some kind of a cam or an arm, once you thread on the nut. it isn't rocket science, but it does need to be simple and designed for hands free tightening on the top side.

the last used hitch i bough cam with the bolts, but not the nuts with the cams for the top side.so i made some cams for the top out of a corner brace. i was a pain but it was cheap, except for the $8 drill bit.

a place like uhaul may have what you need.

• 3 weeks later...

hopefully some one will know more than i do.

outbacks have a convenient connector on the driver side behind the tail light and if you buy the right ''trailer connector harness'' you can just plug in. but i don't think GTs have that.

if you pop open the small bulb replacement panel on the inside of the car behind the driver side rear tail light you will find all of the wires you need, except one. sorting out which wire goes to which light can be tedious. but unless you have definite info on which wire color is which, it is a matter of trial and error. find the right blinker light and connect that wire to the u-haul ''converter''. then do the next wire. you will need a a test light to figure this out. some ''trailer wiring kits'' come with one. you will also need a bunch of wire connectors. i buy twice as many as i think i will need. :lol: i'm always making mistakes.

the one wire that is not there is the right side turn indicator, green on the trailer converter i think. for that you have to run a wire to the passenger side, rear corner.

i have often though that if you trace the wire harness back towards the front of the car, you would find a point where all the wires you need are in the same place, i have never tried.

i don't think so. you would still have to splice that in and then you would need the matching trailer connector.

a good wiring diagram, a splice kit, and a test light will do fine.

the wire ID is the challenge. and some of that will be obvious once you get into it. some of it will be trial and error.

Had to buy a new wire kit for the Subaru Hitch. There was just too many cuts on the last one to really make it work without running into trouble.

Step one. Find the drivers side rear tail light and start to trouble shoot what tire does what...http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee134/Rubenjc111/10066A26.jpg

After trouble shooting the wires now to run a green wire to the other side for the right blinker...a little more trouble then it's worth...but it looked better tucked away underneath the paneling.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee134/Rubenjc111/7D9A9578.jpg

Found a rubber stopper that I could cut a small hole into so that I could run the wires underneath the car.

Works perfect now.

On a side note, I did Find some monster cable possibly for a Sub that went in the trunk With a big red iwire

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee134/Rubenjc111/DD14E0F4.jpg

R

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee134/Rubenjc111/F437FE7F.jpg

• 1 year later...

I have a wiring harness, also from uhaul that I wish to install. I have a few questions before I get started.

My unit attaches to the battery. I run a wire under the car and to the unit. Is there a preferred grommet or drain for me to bring the wire from under the car and into the trunk? I have a way to go through the cabin, but I would need to bury the wire under the carpet at some point. If someone has a recommendation for going through the cabin I welcome it!

I will also need a ground (bolt), is there an easily accessible one? I’m thinking to leave the unit with the spare tire, perhaps I can connect to something in there?

And just to make sure I am reading my wiring diagram correctly: I need to splice the yellow wire to the left turn wire which is green/white on the car?

Any other suggestions are appreciated!

In my wagon (and presumably in the sedans as well) if you remove the spare tire, you will see a rubber plug (~1.5" in diameter) that opens up to the ground outside. That, I think, would be a good place to run the wire. From there you can go to the left side of the car, and run the wire under the moldings along the door sills (you simply pull them off - they are snapped in) as that is where several other wires are run. When you get to the front, one option is to run the wire under the dash and out through a rubber grommet in the firewall located behind and above the brake pedal. That's what I did for the power running my air compressor in the trunk.

Archived