LegacyGT.com

Transmission/shifter ugpgrades

Bought the kartboy short shift adapter and bearing for my 2010 Legacy GT (kit was for 2015+ WRX but was on the sticky thread for 5th gen short shift options.) While I'm down there putting that in, I was wondering what other parts or upgrades are going to be worthwhile. I'm not a fan of this transmission, throws are long and clunky feeling, so I'm open to any insight.

Bought the kartboy short shift adapter and bearing for my 2010 Legacy GT (kit was for 2015+ WRX but was on the sticky thread for 5th gen short shift options.) While I'm down there putting that in' date=' I was wondering what other parts or upgrades are going to be worthwhile. I'm not a fan of this transmission, throws are long and clunky feeling, so I'm open to any insight.[/quote']

Can't speak for the kartboy shortshifter but the STI shortthow certainly makes the shifts a lot more rewarding (and short) once you have the perrin brass bushing in there. I also thought the perrin shift stop for 1st and 2nd shifts makes a big difference for that first hard shift when its properly aligned... it also makes downshifting into 1st much more possible though it's still not the easiest.... make sure you loctite the bolts though because it will get pushed out of the way and no longer help after a few hard shifts... also clutch damper delete is a must though its not actually a shifter mod.

...I have the STI WRX short shifter plus the Kartboy short shifter, bushing, shift stop, and everyhthing is topped w/the STI leather and aluminum shift knob. I'm very happy w/the results.

...next up for me will the upgraded clutch fork parts/line and finally getting the damper delete done.

...I have the STI WRX short shifter plus the Kartboy short shifter, bushing, shift stop, and everyhthing is topped w/the STI leather and aluminum shift knob. I'm very happy w/the results.

...next up for me will the upgraded clutch fork parts/line and finally getting the damper delete done.

dude... damper delete is life... get on it.

elaborate on the clutch damper delete mod.. I've read about it before but was sort of confused on what it does. cleans up the engagement point but more susceptible to hurting clutch assembly/ trans when launching?

basically the damper slows the engagement of the clutch. so depending on how fast you come off the clutch the perceived engagement point changes, the faster you move the higher it feels. the delete will make you more susceptible to hurting the trans if you doing clutch side stepping launches (which the damper actually works pretty well for) but you'll greatly reduce your chances of hurting the trans in most other driving conditions, especially hard upshifts and high RPM down shifts, at least in my opinion because it makes the clutch so much more predictable.

I haven't done my damper delete yet either, though I have had the junction to delete it since August 2017. I am going to do it this spring when I flush the brake fluid (which was new when I got the car). I had the damper on my delete on my 2.5i 6MT. It does make the grab point consistent and the clutch not as numb, the downside is that it makes the clutch pedal feel a little cruder.

I slip the clutch on the launches and on the rare occasion that I do shift hard between gears, the flat foot shifting feature in the Cobb AP drastically reduces the transmission/driveline shock. So I usually do WOT between gear to utilize that feature.

For me the only downside is the pedal isn't as smooth as I mention above, I had to learn to be a more precise with the clutch because I stalled it initially a few times because I had a bad habit of slipping it more to compensate for the numbness of it.

I kind of compare the damper to a water hammer arrestor. The damper is basically a cushion, but in my mind, it's not needed for a clutch system (now that I removed it).

Back on topic, I have the Perrin shifter bushing and shift stop and they work great. Still trying to decide on which short shift to install.

Edited by Falcor

• 7 months later...
Did you decide on which short shifter to go with? I'm curious what the benefits of the various options are.

There are basically two styles, weighted: kartboy, boomba, cobb. Unweighted: perrin, maybe one more I can't recall. The difference being the weighted one's add more mass to the movement making it feel easier while possibly adding a minute amount of wear to the shifter bushings and synchros. As far as anything else, the only part that stands out IMO is the cobb fits under the shift-linkage protective covers, which many cars don't have anyway. Otherwise, its price and preference.

I have the boomba ssa and boomba stick. I highly recommend both, with a racesing slammer knob.

Has anyone tried one of these

http://1320performance.com/1320-performance-wrx-short-shifter

Looks interesting - the lever includes a replacement for the reverse ring, and lets the shift knob sit a bit lower. Gives a 30% reduction in throw (probably mostly from lowering the knob, from the looks of it)

Has anyone tried one of these

http://1320performance.com/1320-performance-wrx-short-shifter

Looks interesting - the lever includes a replacement for the reverse ring, and lets the shift knob sit a bit lower. Gives a 30% reduction in throw (probably mostly from lowering the knob, from the looks of it)

Looks suspiciously like the boomba stick, priced lower, I wonder how well that stainless will hold up over time compared to the boomba piece. If it works well I would go for it, wait for some reviews before purchasing.

Edited by FLlegacy