LegacyGT.com

2010 Legacy GT - backup camera not working

My backup camera doesn't seem to be working. The screen has gone black a few times before, but then it comes back on usually that same day or the next.

This time it went out and is been "off" for about 2 weeks. Is there a wire i could have knocked loose while loading/unloading the trunk, or some other simple fix?

Is it just blank when you're in reverse, or is the display powered off 100% of the time? I had the latter happen to me, and inadvertently fixed the issue by removing the factory boost gauge harness, so if that's your issue, I'd start looking in the main cabin harness to head unit interface connector. If you have the factory boost gauge, that inline adapter between the cabin harness and the head unit adds even more places where you could have a crappy connection.

bradykp- Where is your camera displayed? Mirror? OEM head unit (meaning yours would be the Kenwood DVD-based nav HU), or aftermarket head unit? And is the camera OEM or aftermarket?

When it goes black, does the display still show the parking guide lines and "check surroundings" warning text?

There are 4 wires that connect the factory camera to the OEM nav or mirror. Pretty much if any of those wires get severed or shorted anywhere along the path it will stop working. The most likely place where that can happen is in the flexible conduit at the trunk or tailgate hinge.

Another place I've heard of failure is at the interconnection where the harness exits the OEM camera. That is supposed to be a sealed (waterproof) connector, but there have been cases where that seal failed and one or more of the tiny contact pins corroded. I'm guessing it wasn't simply water that got in (probably road de-icing salt).

Or the camera itself can go bad too.

I have navigation so the backup is displayed there. it's all OEM. I still get the parking guide lines on black screen.

Is this something i should have a mechanic check? Or can i just pop off the trunk liner and see these wires easily?

CW - how can i find out if i have the factory boost guage?

It'd be sticking up off the top of the dash, pretty hard to miss it. The fact that you're still getting power to the head unit means that your problem probably isn't what my problem was, so I'd start looking at the wiring to the camera like SVXdc suggested.

I have navigation so the backup is displayed there. it's all OEM. I still get the parking guide lines on black screen.

Is this something i should have a mechanic check? Or can i just pop off the trunk liner and see these wires easily?

In that case, the problem is likely in the rear of the car.

I'd start by taking a close look at the harness junction where your camera's short pigtail plugs into harness "R330" inside the rear trunk lid -- see if there's any corrosion or damage.

You can take a voltmeter and check whether the car's plug supplies 6V power there (to pin #4 -- white factory wire). That only happens when your reverse lights are on (which requires the key be in the "ON" position, but the engine doesn't need not be running).

Then unplug the 8-pin plug from the nav head unit and check continuity on the other 3 wires that run between the HU and R330.

If any wires are broken, shorted together, or shorted to ground, look at the flexible rubber conduit that bridges from the car to the trunk lid. You'll basically need to slide the conduit away from the bend point to inspect those wires.

If the continuity is good and there are no shorts, try temporarily connecting another camera (or really anything that provides an NTSC video signal) into R330. Pin-out:

1 Video ground/shield (factory wire "SB" = Sky Blue)

2 Video signal(+) (factory wire Red)

3 Camera Enable into HU (factory wire Black) [tie this to the ground pin]

4 +6V power to camera (factory wire White)

The above wire colors are on the car's harness, not the camera's pigtail harness. The latter are not documented in Subaru's diagrams.

For an aftermarket camera, you can power that from batteries or any convenient 12V source. Some aftermarket cameras will work from 6V, but it's probably better if you don't bother trying to use the HU's 6V power, at least for your initial testing.

Find the 2010 Legacy/Outback service manual and study these sections:

Body >> Entertainment >> 12. Navigation Body [has removal instructions]

Body >> Entertainment >> 14. Rearview Camera System [has removal instructions]

Wiring >> 38. Rearview Camera System

Wiring >> 29. Navigation System

Wiring >> 62. Rear Wiring Harness and Trunk Lid Cord [shows harness locations]

(search here for threads with subject "vacation pix" (or pics).

Also search for other threads here dealing with problems with the OEM camera.

Archived